The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Mar

NASA AZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
I did well too on Saturday. There were too many slow people in de2 and not giving wave bye's. They moved me up to de3 for next event. Looking forward to INDE.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
I did well too on Saturday. There were too many slow people in de2 and not giving wave bye's. They moved me up to de3 for next event. Looking forward to INDE.

I think I was two cars behind you on session 3 for like 5 laps. Yellow Cayman 718 GT4 that I was hounding never gave me a point by, and he was a red S550 maybe you and then that black C7 vette that wouldn't let anyone pass.

The lack of point bys was super annoying, I had a lot of grip at that point in the day.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
I ran into a few of you guys, sorry if I wasn't more conversational - lots to do on a race weekend and the car as usual needed more attention than fuel/pressures and SD cards. Great weekend though - I hate that dirt paddock but some fun racing!
It was great to see the boss make it . I was trying to learn how to enter turn #11 watching you , but I didn’t ever get it where I wanted to be . I was just glad to be on track ,and not break anything !

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
by 11 mean turn 1? (which oddly is before start finish) - the one going onto the main straight?

The trick to that one is two fold: Get the bulk of braking done early, but trail the brake into the corner steadily decreasing pedal pressure until full release at the apex - that will get the car rotated, then you can smoothly transition to throttle and get the car out to the exit. The 2nd part is, the radius opens up so you can use all that track on the left side without giving up time - by the time you transition to throttle, your hands should be almost flat if the car is rotating ideally. If you feel like you get the car turned in but can get to the throttle before the apex, you're not carrying enough speed in.

Fastest way is to not hit the curbing on the inside - though I do that plenty - it helps get the car rotated if the car is being pushy, however you have to be ready to catch it on the exit and based on my driving it tends to cost a tenth per lap.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
@captdistraction I was watching you too at turn 1 but also through the left and double rights before that turn. I changed my line and it was nice not really even moving the steering wheel through the 2 rights.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
@captdistraction I was watching you too at turn 1 but also through the left and double rights before that turn. I changed my line and it was nice not really even moving the steering wheel through the 2 rights.

That's great! Those aren't two turns as you've discovered, they're one - They're called out separately but really you're just entering from track right before the first left - you turn in (and in my case I downshift from 3->2 - a MT82 would go 4->3 depending on factors like rear gear and tire height) so once I go into the left I've shifted down, and I start bringing the car right, trying to hang a tire just over that 2nd right side curbing to get a good line out to the curbing on the far left by track exit (and laying down the throttle). Sometimes it feels a bit like threading the needle between the two corners (from the initial left to the first right side curb) and its busy with the light brake and downshift - but when you get it right its such a rush powering out of that curb - I know a few times once the tires were a bit hot I had put on a bit of a slide show for the people up on the hill, lol.

I'll post a fast lap in here with data.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
Here's my fast lap - there's more time in it with a bit more testicular fortitude on the back half of the course. The second time around T1 wasn't my best but was enough for sub 58.5 which was my "stretch goal" for the weekend.

Great stuff, makes me want to get a full blown race car. For now, just have to learn the ropes and hopefully not break my car too much to get the seat time required.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel