The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA Norcal HPDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone attended their events? They have an event coming up in February at Sonoma for a good price ($180). I'm wondering particularly how crowded they get and how thorough both they and the drivers are with safety.

Any info appreciated.

I think Drew and Chris will be at the June 14/15 event. That will be a long trek from AZ and they will be at Thunderhill the weekend before with HOD which I plan to attend. I'll probably go hand out there on June 14th.

http://www.nasanorcal.com/index.php?/site/section_schedule/

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Ahh Presidents' Day weekend. I could do that one but if I do this, I likely won't be doing MRLS the following weekend. Thanks for the find.

I'll be there running both days. This is my first NASA event, and I'll be with a couple of friends that are happy with the organization.

They advertise small run groups on the website, just hope it's not the one weekend we finally get some rain around here.

- Steve

Rick

I'm in Oakland. We met at Sonoma last August at the Nor Cal SAAC HPDE event, I drive a SBY license plate RED KEYD.

My friend has been running a M3 with the NASA group and really likes the events, and the cost seems pretty reasonable.

- Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
I think Drew and Chris will be at the June 14/15 event. That will be a long trek from AZ and they will be at Thunderhill the weekend before with HOD which I plan to attend. I'll probably go hand out there on June 14th.

http://www.nasanorcal.com/index.php?/site/section_schedule/

That's the plan!

SDS said:
Rick

I'm in Oakland. We met at Sonoma last August at the Nor Cal SAAC HPDE event, I drive a SBY license plate RED KEYD.

My friend has been running a M3 with the NASA group and really likes the events, and the cost seems pretty reasonable.

- Steve
Ah yes I remember. I doubt I'll run that day but maybe I'll come hang out for a few hours.

Rick have you driven Sonoma before? If we both end up there on the same day, you should show me around. It'll be my first time at that track. I need all the secrets!

Plus, hopefully I'll have new goodies installed that you can check out :D

neema said:
Rick have you driven Sonoma before? If we both end up there on the same day, you should show me around. It'll be my first time at that track. I need all the secrets!

Yes I've been there a few times and I like it just a bit better than LS. It's a really fun and challenging track. I'll bring my helmet.

I did the Hyperdrive at Somona in a Boss....so awesome. Then I did HPDE 1 at Thunderhill. (but in an e30) got signed off to advance to HPDE 2 after just those 3 days on track, but unfortunately have not been back behind the wheel for over a year now.

I had Walter as an instructor. He was great. :)

ufnavy06

Well it looks like my wife gave me the green light to do this, so I can at least do Sonoma once while I'm out west. As soon as I sign up, I'll post up my plans so anyone else who's coming can meet up. I gotta give her a day or two to rethink otherwise I'll be out the money I'm sure.... Murphy's Law.

Sonoma is a fantastic track. very technical and rewarding...but lots of stuff to hit. more technical than LS...or any other NorCal track, for that matter...and VERY little room for error if you go off.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
neema said:

An easy place to start would be to check out some videos on Youtube, at least get the lay of the track and rhythm ingrained in your mind.

PCA norcal has a great document posted on their site describing the course - it's really well-done - there are a few real 'gotcha' places at Sonoma to be aware of...and, it talks through set up and approach in ways the videos can't...a must-read in my mind.

ufnavy06

NFSBOSS said:
NorCal Shelby also has some excellent track tutorials for Laguna Seca, Sonoma and Thunderhill. Click on the Images at the bottom of the page to download the PDF files.

http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/otbook.htm

Yes, those are excellent. Unlike Forza 5 which says the Corkscrew is one of the most challenging turns on any race track. Psssh.

TMO Supporting Vendors