The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Jan

Nasa SoCal Season Opener - Buttonwillow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm in, because I wasted money on another transmission and looking forward to another last place TT2 finish.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Signed up for Saturday...HPDE 1 with an instructor all day.
I'll be there in HPDE 3. Excited to see you guys there!
This sounds fun... I will probably try and get out there. Work on getting my TT license I suppose, need to finish HPDE 4 i think?

Regardless of what you gents think about Toyo, if you haven't already, make sure you ask your instructor/chief for a NASA Passport, something like a race logbook for your HPDE progression. When they promote/sign you off, you get "Toyo bucks", and I believe on HPDE4 -> TT you get a whole set, or damn near with how cheap they are and how much they're giving you. And not being preachy, but they're pretty good tires if you're looking for consistency from 1st to 20th heat cycle, and throughout the session as well.

Edit - now with link!

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Regardless of what you gents think about Toyo, if you haven't already, make sure you ask your instructor/chief for a NASA Passport, something like a race logbook for your HPDE progression. When they promote/sign you off, you get "Toyo bucks", and I believe on HPDE4 -> TT you get a whole set, or damn near with how cheap they are and how much they're giving you. And not being preachy, but they're pretty good tires if you're looking for consistency from 1st to 20th heat cycle, and throughout the session as well.
Will do. I had previously ran with NASA a few years back and was working my way up, but then I took a long hiatus, so just starting over.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I've ran NASA a few years back, up to HPDE 3, looking back into it. Been running Speed Ventures events recently. Anybody also doing the Roval on the 15th? I may have time to do both series in 2022 or mix them up. Thoughts?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
I'm certainly not going to turn down a set of free tires. They could give me winter tires and I'd still get seat time out of them. Thanks for the recommendation and looking forward to seeing you out there!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Looks like I'm probably out. While getting new tires and an alignment, it looks like three of my wheels are bent after my trip to Buttonwillow earlier this month. That Apex group buy can't come soon enough it seems.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Looks like I'm probably out. While getting new tires and an alignment, it looks like three of my wheels are bent after my trip to Buttonwillow earlier this month. That Apex group buy can't come soon enough it seems.
Bent wheels are the stockers? Ouch didn’t know they’re that soft. Are most of you running square setups for track?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
This will be my first event with NASA. Does anyone know how long it takes to pass tech for HPDE? I plan to get to tech as early as possible since my driver's meeting is 30 minutes after tech opens. I've already reviewed the sheet and everything should be taken care of.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
This will be my first event with NASA. Does anyone know how long it takes to pass tech for HPDE? I plan to get to tech as early as possible since my driver's meeting is 30 minutes after tech opens. I've already reviewed the sheet and everything should be taken care of.
Are you going both days? Saturday tech is typically busier than Sunday with the ST/TT groups. This being the first event of the year, probably more so as many will be getting their annual inspection completed. If you’re driving Saturday, get in line early as possible.

TMO Supporting Vendors