The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA Summer Shootout at Hallett

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had a great weekend at Hallett, ended up winning the championship race (R4) on Sunday. Here is R2 and R3, both were inverted starts. R3 was the most fun, started last finished 2nd, but I got hit in the same exact place as my last race weekend at TWS. :mad:

R2
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TyJM-ILug4&list=UUH8Zle8GXesGxAN1WggiUhg[/youtube]

R3
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRXEyd9K2_o&list=UUH8Zle8GXesGxAN1WggiUhg&index=2[/youtube]

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Was good seeing you there! Sorry I couldn't spend more time... you guys seemed busy... as was I.

Hallett was a blast. I had no fewer than 7 offs trying to a) learn the new track / surface ASAP and b) try to keep up with that aero / huge sticky tired Vorshlag car :)

That 4/5/6 combo will haunt me for years :)

Tulsa, OK
Great videos! Sucks you got hit by the Fox, though...

4/5/6 is sooooo much fun ;D New surface is still slick and kind of tricky in my opinion. Looks like you guys had a blast. Wish I could have joined.

Good to see you to John, to bad we didn't have a chance to have a beer and BS, I had way too many beers Saturday night. I was a little sketchy when I tried to warm my tires, but once the race started I was fine. 4/5/6 kicked my butt too. I tried lots of different lines but I just couldn't figure it out. I agree that the new surface is a little slick, especially when it heats up.

Other than a little splitter work, my car was fine after the hit. I had my fastest lap of the weekend that race, so I didn't measure tow or anything.

I was really wanting to get into the sub 1:25s but couldn't do it.

Tulsa, OK
I don't have a huge amount of experience but this is what I've found to be the fastest way around 4/5/6. I stay to the left and turn in late to enter 4 (there is a small concrete path on the left side of the track that I use for my turn in point). Gradually start bringing the car to the right, clip the curbing on the right for 4 and follow the edge of the pavement. I turn into 5 at the beginning of the straight curbing on the right and then clip the curbing on the left of 5, then let the car drift out to the right. 6 is another wide/late entry corner for me, gradually bring the car left to clip the last bit of curbing and slingshot yourself out.

My goal is to see a 1:24 as well. My transponder stopped working for half the day last time I was out so maybe I ran one and maybe I didn't, who knows. I janked up turn 10 on this video. :-\

[youtube]http://youtu.be/AZNSxizZhTI[/youtube]

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I managed a couple of low 1:25.2.... couldn't improve on that though.

For 4-5-6, I found that I was carrying too much speed into 4, which then required a lift or braking in 5. That lead to the rear becoming REALLY light (no bueno). If I was a little slower into 4, I found that I could nail 5 really well and be back on the gas hard coming out.... which resulted in me having to work on the entry and exit to 6 :)

I think one more day out there and I would have been able to put together some better times through that segment on the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel