The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just finished my first NASA event at Houston. Started out in HPDE 3 and moved to TT on day 2. What a blast! I'm debating wheather or not to race in AI in the next event or stay in TT for a while. I'm not quite reay to dent up my pretty new BAD ASS car.
None of my video worked!!! :mad:

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Don't you have to go through Comp School prior to getting your competition license and running in AI/AIX? I know in Rocky Mountain NASA, my time trials license does not allow me to run in any of the race groups, only in the Time Trials competition.

I would hang out in TT for awhile, you can hone your craft without banging fenders but still get good practice and confirmed times, but really you have to do what your gut tells you to do if you want to race you won't be happy in tt.

Round these parts, you take a test (written and in car) for comp then you have and orange plate for like 4 events and if you **** up during those events you get kicked down to group 1.

And be aware the guy testing you may bump your car just to see how you respond. I was warned to use the beater track car when I test to avoid a dent in my pretty street car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
Round these parts, you take a test (written and in car) for comp then you have and orange plate for like 4 events and if you **** up during those events you get kicked down to group 1.

And be aware the guy testing you may bump your car just to see how you respond. I was warned to use the beater track car when I test to avoid a dent in my pretty street car.

Is this a joke?

About the bump? I haven't taken the test yet, but my understanding is that they only do it if they aren't sure whether to pass you. Some guys say they didn't get bumped, some say they did. It might be a local thing, or a joke, but given who warned me I am going to be prepared either way.

racer91m said:
Mark:

ST2 is the place for you to race the Boss S. No restrictor and a 275/35/18 R-Compound Hoosier will be a competitive package.

Yep, that's what everyone (except AI/CMC guys) is telling me. Plus in AI/CMC (less HP)I would be be on a level playing field which would really highlight my poor driving abilities. :)

And yes, you have to do comp school is this region also.

Comp School is probably required here too, I didn't look into it much other than asking the instructors and some of the drivers about getting a license, as I'm only group 3 right now. Nobody ever mentioned a school, is why I assumed it wasn't necessary. But you all know what assuming does.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
About the bump? I haven't taken the test yet, but my understanding is that they only do it if they aren't sure whether to pass you. Some guys say they didn't get bumped, some say they did. It might be a local thing, or a joke, but given who warned me I am going to be prepared either way.

I would avoid that organization at all costs. HPDE1 is not NASCAR.

Lol no not HPDE1, they do it when you are testing for your comp license. Contact in HPDE is very frowned upon, and they boot people that drive like asshats. Rubbing happens in racing, even if it is prohibited, so it actually makes sense that it is one of the things them may test you on imo. Which is why the Boss will be used in HPDE and the E30 will be my racecar.

And by whether to pass, I meant whether to pass the comp license test. Not like randoms passing you on the track. Reading it over, I wasn't very clear.

ArizonaGT said:
I would avoid that organization at all costs. HPDE1 is not NASCAR.

Sounds like good advise, I may be new at this but contact is not a needed part of motorsports except demolition derby. I have always been under the impression things can happen when racing but you always try to avoid them.

TMO Supporting Vendors