The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASCAR 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
And I have to agree, it was very strange and some what awakward at times to watch.

Only 4 cars finishing without body damage is not a good result and makes me wonder how much of this comes from the new rule changes.

I'm hoping NASCAR comes through this new era soon and gets back to a true race competition format. Let the manufactures and teams step up their games to be more competitive, rather than mandating a race format that promotes group participation trophies.

Going forward it will be interesting to see how this plays out with the Teams and Drivers.

302 Hi Pro

https://youtu.be/TqFuoeNHRGE

I call it a participation trophy because one could run up front for 2/3 of the race and come out with almost as many or maybe even more points than the winner. Harvick finished 22nd but is 4th in points. Good for Harvick but it widens the gap between the front running teams and the small teams. The charter system was the first nail in the coffin. Atlanta will be a short field but it isn't because they redefined a full field as 36 cars. How many small teams immediately folded after the institution of charters and how many more will fold now? It makes it impossible to bring new blood into the sport unless they buy or lease an existing charter.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Harvick received points for being up front. Participation would indicate showing up and taking points earned simply for "Participating". But I see your point.
NASCAR traditionally awards points for where you finish. If you remember back in the day drivers would receive cash for leading certain laps, usually at the half way point. This made drivers push for the lead in the middle of the race. Only one driver took the cash. Now, they have incentiveized the race at three points. This did increase competition throughout the race.
The rule that has me scratching my head is the 5 minute rule. Now a driver who has sheet metal damage must fix their car in 5 minutes, in the pits, or be removed from the race. Why?? At speedways, caution laps can take 2-3 minutes. A driver could have a car repaired in 7 minutes and still have a chance of winning. Additionally, a speedway rookie could repair damage from early in the race and return later for valuable track time. Not now. I just don't see the problem this rules change fixed.

I agree the 5 minute rule is misguided. I believe it is driver driven. JR on his recent podcast said he hated to return to the track in a damaged car. Mostly because it is boring. I think most drivers share this opinion. Safety is another consideration but probably not the primary one in the drivers minds. They have the technology to count pit box time only. That seems to be a better choice. I would prefer a cash bonus for certain segments. I see NASCAR pushing smaller teams out of the sport. Soon it will look like Indycar or F1 with 22 cars belonging to 6 teams.

Like I said its a show ...All these rule games and now segment races all meant to keep the crowds interested. With the exceptions of the major races attendance has been off the last couple of years, Looks at ticket prices for anything but nose bleed seats and that understandable. Interesting to note that Gibbs's cars don't seem to have the performance they had. Could be a little "equalizing" taking place for now anyway. That makes Hendricks teams happy now. Lets hope all our new Ford teams continue to do well.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Points are used to see which None Winners also make the chase filling out the line up with the Winners

Brad and Kurt are in the Chase.....they are race winners.

Emphasis is still on Winners, just not a while lot of discussion on the subject since this has not changed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel