The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASCAR 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Well, Today is the day for the 59th running of the Daytona 500, still the most coveted race in NASCAR.

If your not in attendance in Daytona, then the next best thing is hosting or attending a Daytona 500 party with friends.

Hey Kirk, I should be there this afternoon by Noon for the pre-race show, throw a few extra brewskies in the cooler!

Remember last year's Daytona 500 finish? 0.010 seconds separated 1st place Hamlin and 2nd place Truex. I thought it was a great race.

Have fun out there, be safe.
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Well, Today is the day for the 59th running of the Daytona 500, still the most coveted race in NASCAR.

If your not in attendance in Daytona, then the next best thing is hosting or attending a Daytona 500 party with friends.

Hey Kirk, I should be there this afternoon by Noon for the pre-race show, throw a few extra brewskies in the cooler!

Remember last year's Daytona 500 finish? 0.010 seconds separated 1st place Hamlin and 2nd place Truex. I thought it was a great race.

Have fun out there, be safe.
302 Hi Pro
I'm recording it and will start watching about two hours in so I can cut through the commercials. Daytona, Sonoma and Watkins Glen are the three NASCAR races I always watch. As a kid I went to NASCAR races at the Ontario Motor Speedway and Riverside Raceway. I'm not a huge NASCAR fan but like Kirk said it's auto racing so I'm watching. ;D

I went to the Pocono race years ago & loved the smell of that racing fuel (i guess the wind was blowing just right that day). The only damper was that it took over 3 hours to get out of that place once the race was over....That's why I'll be enjoying today's race from the comforts of my living room and big screen TV..... ;)

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Running under full race green flag conditions, those NASCAR engines are running up to 9,000 RPM's. All cast iron block, pushrod engines with aluminum cylinder heads and forged internals with 12.0:1 compression. Up to 850HP @ 9,000 RPM's with a single Holley 4B Carb.

You can hear them sing during in-car camera shots.

That is some serious Hammer tyme.

Not to mention those Pit Crews, and Crew Chiefs. They are serious Professionals.
2HP

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Ford - Haas Racing - Kurt Bush car 41 takes the 2017 59th running of the Daytona 500 on a last lap pass.

Nice win to start the 2017 season.

Go Ford!
302 Hi Pro

Edit: 59th, (typo)

Congrats to Ford on the Daytona 500's 59th race (Hi- Pro you're selling the race 10 yrs short...no harm done) Kurt Busch took the last lap to win....Steve in the #21 Ford came in 2nd................YAHOOOOOO...................

Ford places 6 cars in the top 10! Nice job guys! Very impressed with the Stewart-Haas showing. They were all bad fast all day. Shame 3 wrecked out. Penske and the Wood Bros #21 were rockin too. Looked like Blaney got shot out of a cannon coming through 3-4 at the end. Almost had Busch

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
VoodooBOSS said:
And Blaney in the Woods Brothers #21 got second. Awesome finish.

@voodoo child21

You know that. If he had a half gallon of fuel he would have won it, car sputtered on the backstretch and killed his momentum. Great to see Kurt Busch win again in a Ford. He was very gracious in Victory Lane thanking FoMoCo and Roush Yates Racing for having him back. The Busch brothers are crazy but they can drive the hell out of race cars. Glad he, Harvick and Bowyer are wearing Blue Ovals.

So happy for Kurt, Stewart/Haas and Ford
That being said, the segment points is like getting a participation trophy. At least they have finally admitted that they throw cautions to bunch up the field and keep cars on the lead lap, they actually didn't specifically admit it, they just made it a rule.
4 cars finished without bent bodywork. It is all blind luck now, no innovation, no strategy..nothing. As a proud Confederate/American and general redneck,that gave birth to this, I no longer recognize this thing called NASCAR.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
blacksheep-1 said:
That being said, the segment points is like getting a participation trophy. At least they have finally admitted that they throw cautions to bunch up the field and keep cars on the lead lap, they actually didn't specifically admit it, they just made it a rule.
4 cars finished without bent bodywork. It is all blind luck now, no innovation, no strategy..nothing. As a proud Confederate/American and general redneck,that gave birth to this, I no longer recognize this thing called NASCAR.
Sad....

blacksheep-1 said:
Sad but true. Real racing doesn't need gimmicks or a participation trophy.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Points for running Up Front does not equal a participation trophy. It Does eliminate the 400 mile spectator racers who cruise until the last 100 miles.

I am not in favor of all the changes. Unsure what good will come from the 5 minute clock. Cars which could not keep up, minimum speeds, where black flagged in the past. Why we need to park a car after 5 minutes, I don't understand.

TMO Supporting Vendors