The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASCAR coming to COTA and RA in 2021

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've always wanted to see NASCAR in more road courses and looks like I'll get my wish in 2021. Along with the new road courses above, I understand they're switching over from the oval to the road course at Indy too. I think that makes six road courses and to spice things up a bit more, they plan to do a dirt track run at Bristol in March. I like where they're going with this.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Road America has already been a success for the Infinity Series so good to see NASCAR take that cue, but the move to COTA has to be viewed as a huge move for Texas with a race at Texas Motor Speedway also. COTA will be wild and I can't wait to see the race up to turn one with the NASCAR machines!!!!

Good news. While they’re making changes get rid of the “intermissions”.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I felt the same way until I saw the effect on competition, the show.

Now drivers/team are awarded points for each stage and race win.. They Now compete for points at three separate points in the race, not just the end. This made for better competition/show.
On average there are the same amount of caution flags in a race, just fewer wrecks.

I have become a believer in the stage format. Its a better show.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Not a huge fan of the stages but it has grown on me. Part of me likes it when the run until there's a caution or the end of the race and part likes it when they bunch the field up and restart at the end of a segment. It does keep it more interesting when "your" driver is put back in the mix at the restart.

What I do like is that NASCAR is bringing in more road courses and like many here, that's what we run. I think I actually learn something when I watch how these pros take the apexes when they turn right and left. And although I've never personally run on a dirt track myself, I am curious to see how the big boys do on it. To that degree, NASCAR has peaked my interest and that's a great marketing win for them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel