The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASCAR. New Look.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NASCAR released pics of the new cars, 2022. Spoiler alert, They all look like the manufacturers cars. When was the last time we saw that??

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
NASCAR released pics of the new cars, 2022. Spoiler alert, They all look like the manufacturers cars. When was the last time we saw that??

Awesome! Nice to see that they closely resemble the street cars, that's been a long time coming.
Just wondering how they're going to balance out the performance now that the bodies are all very different.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
They don't look half bad. I never understood why they went so far away from the look of the actual car. I think everyone feels that having the cars look more like the real cars will help the series, certainly for the casual racing fans and the newcomers.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
I really like the Next Gen car and the direction of NASCAR. I think the new Mustang looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it on track in 2022. Also the car changes will make it more of a "drivers" car (i.e. independent rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, 5 speed, composite body, 18in/center lock wheels).

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Seems very similar to Australian V8 Supercars. Should dovetail nicely with the increased number of road course / roval races for NASCAR. Not sure about the center-lock wheels - I think it will change the dynamics of a pit stop, making refueling the bottleneck instead of changing tires. Prediction - NASCAR street race by 2025.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Watching Nascar on road courses and rovals should be on every Trackrat's consideration list. In other words, the racing on some of the tracks you may have run are not only super entertaining but have none of the monotony some feel is inherent to the 500 mile oval races. Just my opinion, but I have found myself watching more events over the past years due to the interesting and intense racing at Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Road America, Charlotte Roval ,etc.

The new spec cars bring back more commonality for the American driver and I do welcome it also.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Been a NASCAR fan for a long, long tyme. Always loved the big tracks and road courses. I don't know why but never took much of a liking to those short tracks. Too easy to get lapped I guess. I do like the new look of the Mustang but is it just me or are the Camaros still fugly?

the best "stock" car series going is the Aussie V8s, (although the mustangs look kind of cheesy) but they have the right idea. They ran 1 race in north America, I'm surprised NASCAR let them do it because they would've run NASCAR out of business. We all know NASCAR has been in a circular firing squad for about 4 years now, so I guess they figured out it's time to at least look stock again. Maybe too little, too late

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
I'm a big NASCAR fan. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a next gen car in person but to me they kind of look like spec cars with stickers to make them look "stock." It still seems pretty far from the real stock car of the past. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I think the tires will make a huge difference- 12 inches wide all the way around will give the cars lots more mechanical grip. I also think the aero will be totally different considering the smooth underside and rear diffuser. 2022 Daytona 500 will be a can't miss event...

TMO Supporting Vendors