The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Naturally Aspirated H.P. Gains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
easy there Justin! we all understand supercharging is the best bang for the buck. nobody is arguing that, but keep in mind what the OP wanted to know. aside from possibly the over axle pipes, everything listed is absolutely verified as hp makers (albeit, not very high hp adders), so this thread is not at all speculative.

also, every NA power adder can be used with a supercharger down the road, so you don't need to choose which path to go down.

Thanks for everyone's inputs and the spirited debate up to this point. A lot of good information and things to consider over the winter, which is not too far away here in North Idaho. Keep the inputs coming and debate going!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
if you are going longtubes, the ARH post great numbers. if you need to keep your cats, the kooks shortys are VERY impressive for what they are.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
10-12hp with stock cats and no tuning (per kooks). then you can add the standard 15ish to delete the cats when you aren't in "emissions mode". I don't have data on what it does tuned vs untuned, but my combo screams with a good tune 441/397 on stock boss motor). so, stock tune is about 20-25 catless. non-cat longtubes without a tune are in the 25hp range. tuned non-cat longtubes are generally good for 35 or so?

I have not seen back to back comparisons between non-cat longtubes and non-cat kooks shortys with equally good tunes on the same car, but based on my results, I have no doubt the shortys can hang.

don't be fooled by their size, though...they still suck to install :eek:

So besides what Kooks claims are the shorty's worth their money?
Or is a waste of time and money on a BOSS with:

- Airaid Carbon CAI
- 84.5mm FRPP TB
- MAGNAFLOW 3" cat back
- Stock tune

i have the ARH longtubes and love them. dont even have a tune yet but plan on it this spring. no other mods so far but car is running great. i hear all the talk of superchargers but i want my car to go as far as i can without one. 500 hp is my goal to the wheels

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
patrickshelby said:
So besides what Kooks claims are the shorty's worth their money?
Or is a waste of time and money on a BOSS with:

- Airaid Carbon CAI
- 84.5mm FRPP TB
- MAGNAFLOW 3" cat back
- Stock tune

whether they are worth the money is subjective. do they add as much power as longtubes? no. there is another 5 or so from longtubes....but you can't get that additional hp without a tune. they cost less than quality longtubes and don't require any additional parts (ei: h-pipe).

personally, i think they are fantastic. decent hp gain (hard to find a great hp gain part on these engines). they are direct replacement, so you can keep the factory cats (which are the only cat known to man that doesn't trip a code on 100% of the cars). and you don't have to deal with reduced ground clearance or needing to buy additional parts to make them bolt up to the rest of the exhaust.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
pufferfish said:
whether they are worth the money is subjective. do they add as much power as longtubes? no. there is another 5 or so from longtubes....but you can't get that additional hp without a tune. they cost less than quality longtubes and don't require any additional parts (ei: h-pipe).

personally, i think they are fantastic. decent hp gain (hard to find a great hp gain part on these engines). they are direct replacement, so you can keep the factory cats (which are the only cat known to man that doesn't trip a code on 100% of the cars). and you don't have to deal with reduced ground clearance or needing to buy additional parts to make them bolt up to the rest of the exhaust.
i didn't lose ground clearance.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
pufferfish said:
Huh? I did with my pipes longtubes?
what brand? if I lost clearance it would be no more then a 1/4" still isnt the lowest point in the car by far the side pipe still hang lower then the long tubes by a fair margin.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Trans scoop is 1 1/2" lower than my ARH long tube collectors. There isn't much of a loss of groud clearance and I have not hit them. Even when I bottomed the trans scoop on the entry to Carousel at Summit Shenandoah, which is an exact copy of the Nuburgring carousel.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors