The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Naturally Aspirated mods for Fast Road GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have 2013 GT track pack. Realistically I am not going to track the car and I rarely autocross it. The motor is stock and I'd like to increase power/torque.

I couldn't care less about drag,roll or dig racing. I enjoy curves and corners on rural roads. I want to keep the Mustang reliable. I'm guessing N/A is the best path. I do not want to lose any driveability for day to day driving.

I'm looking at getting a ported 2018 Intake manifold. What exhaust, cai,TB, tune should I get? Should I even bother with OPG and cams?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Who will tune your car? Start by talking to a competent tuner. Tell them what you want out of your car and they should be able to point you in the right direction. After all, the tuner is the person who will have to make your parts selection work. Buying a stack of parts from suggestions from the internet can be expensive and disappointing.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One other very simple mod so you can have more fun on the curves is to get a set of wider wheels along with a solid set of the newer, sticky , 200 TWR tires. The simplest way to increase Gs, and since you are mainly just interested in driving the curves on Oahu, makes this an even better mod than taking the car to a tuner, imho.

Last edited:
I have 2013 GT track pack. Realistically I am not going to track the car and I rarely autocross it. The motor is stock and I'd like to increase power/torque.

I couldn't care less about drag,roll or dig racing. I enjoy curves and corners on rural roads. I want to keep the Mustang reliable. I'm guessing N/A is the best path. I do not want to lose any driveability for day to day driving.

I'm looking at getting a ported 2018 Intake manifold. What exhaust, cai,TB, tune should I get? Should I even bother with OPG and cams?
I'm similar to you with a stock gen1 coyote that is very much a street car, although I do track my car also.

Others know far more than me on this subject but I did speak with Shaun at AED, super nice and helpful guy, and he steered me away from the '18 manifold. Less low end torque and other issues I don't totally recall. He suggested using the stock air intake, a different air filter, a different tube from the intake to the TB (without the accordian baffles in the bend), revise or replace the front grille to increase airflow to the air intake, and one of his tunes. That seems to be the immediate low hanging fruit.

I'd definitely recommend calling Shaun and see what he says. I really appreciated him giving me all the time I needed, despite me being very far from his biggest customer. I'm sure the other well-established tuners are excellent also. Good luck.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, if you are going with 18x10s , jump up a bit to 18x11s just in case those " Canyon Carving " drives get you more excited to do some HPDE Track Times, ha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
It is a shame to live in East TN and not have plans to track the car. There are some really good tracks within 4 hours of Knoxville and a new track being built near Rockwood that is slated to open in the spring. There is a really good tuner in Knoxville if you want to work with someone local. My Gen 1 coyote made 447 rwhp on 93 octane with a ported throttle body and Boss intake with no noticeable loss in bottom end.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Elizabethton TN
It is a shame to live in East TN and not have plans to track the car. There are some really good tracks within 4 hours of Knoxville and a new track being built near Rockwood that is slated to open in the spring. There is a really good tuner in Knoxville if you want to work with someone local. My Gen 1 coyote made 447 rwhp on 93 octane with a ported throttle body and Boss intake with no noticeable loss in bottom end.
Reading your post. Im in Elizabethton. I have a 18 GT with the PP1 and a 07 Shelby GT.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Reading your post. Im in Elizabethton. I have a 18 GT with the PP1 and a 07 Shelby GT.
I am just west of Knoxville. I try to hit Barber, CMP, and NCM a couple of times a year with my 2011 GT. This year I also plan on Nashville and the new FlatRock Motorsports Park in Rockwood when it opens.

TMO Supporting Vendors