The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

@NCM W/Andy Pilgrim Behind the Wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
I know the video probably does not envoke that much excitement.... but for me it was something I will truly remember for the rest of my life.
While at NCM Motorsports Park this past weekend, i had Andy Pilgrim behind the wheel of the stang to help with the car setup, and to show his lines on the track. I will not even go into Andys accomplishments behind the wheel, because....I think I am limited to how much I can write, and there is not enough room. So...
Andy immediately felt something wrong in the rear of the car, he did a few more laps and had it pretty well isolated to the left rear. We came in and he explained everything in detail. So I went back to the pits, and sure enough the rear sway bar was hitting the Watts Link bracket. Adjusted the links, and was back out on track!
Could not be more thankful, humbled, and honored to have someone of this caliber of a person and driving talent taking the time to do this. This is certainly not something he has to do, but for him to take the time to do this....well words simply cant convey how thankful I am.
Andy you are a class act my friend, and I appreciate even the smallest of knowledge you were able to bestow on me. BTW, at the end of the video, I am not sure I have concentrated or listened that well since college

https://youtu.be/b6JtnNo3HNw

That's very cool and Andy knows how to drive a race car. How did this come about anyway?

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
NCM hosts their own track days, 3 times per year, including this one which was their anniversary event, and one at VIR. Andy, and John Heinricy are usually at 2 of these just donating their own personal time. I know they have been associated with GM in many different ways so. Anyway usually Andy and John charge for driving peoples cars, but on the second day Andy wanted to make sure that anyone that wanted or needed help, could get it regardless of whether money was involved. So he said he would do it for free, or you could donate to his foundation. Obviously there were only so many slots he could do in a day, so I jumped at the chance and got signed up. You are absolutely right, he is an amazing driver....but he is also a HELL of a good dude. We also get Chuck Hawks as the classroom instructor, and for us we see and talk to him just about everytime we go to NCM, is Jade Buford(Multimatic GT350R-C driver, and current Sin R1 driver in PWC). He is a local TN guy and does coaching/instructing on the side up there.

If you guys ever get a chance to run an NCM hosted event....DO IT. I have been one of their instructors from the beginning and its because of the great crew and staff that run the events that so many people come back, I know its why I come back. Definitely one event I will never forget!

I forget where the story came from but back in the day there was this stock car driver who was teaching a new driver the ropes. The old guy would disconnect a shock, then an end link on the bar, and misc stuff all around the car. The reason that he did this was so that the newb could diagnose what was wrong with the car and tell the crew chief so it could be repaired quickly. If the newb had never experienced that before, then he wouldn't know there was an issue. Andy Pilgrim has been around long enough to understand this, any, real good driver can do this, two of the best IMO are A.J. and Kurt at Phoenix because they not only have built cars from the ground up but were responsible for tuning their own stuff in the SCCA , IMSA and PWC, that kind of experience, as Andy Pilgrim just showed you, priceless.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel