The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need a good recommendation for a street set of brake pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Yesterday while detailing the front wheels I noticed I am at about 6-8 months from needing new front pads. What is a good pad for the street that doesn't squeal, dusts at a min yet grabs decently? I was thinking about going with my usual ebc red stuffs. I don't track the car so I don't need super border line streetable pads.

I've used the Hawk HPS pads before. They were awesome on the street compared to the stock pads. Quiet, low dust, and great bite. I've heard good things about the stoptech pads as well. I'll be trying the Girodisc magic pads as soon as my shitty autozone pads wear out.

+1 for HPS, although I am loving the HP+ pads right now. Yeah the squeal and screech but if your exhaust is loud enough you shouldn't be able to tell.

Justin

Looked at the rears today they are looking about half gone as well. Guess I will just do pads all the way around. The stock pads dust pretty bad IMO hoping the next set I get doesn't.

WinterSucks said:
For street only use I have read that ceramics are very low dust, but have never tried them myself.

Don't do it! Ceramics are VERY low dust, but at the expense of stopping power. If you like to do any kind of high performance braking on the street, ceramics will leave a whole bunch on the table.

I ran Stoptechs on my '12 Boss and they were pretty good - no noise, less dust, stiffer pedal feel although actual stopping power was probably no better than OE. Stoptechs are very inexpensive, too.

I have Ferodo 2500 front pads in my '13 now along with OE rears. MUCH MUCH MUCH improved braking power at the expense of more noise.

Brandon302 said:
+1 for HPS, although I am loving the HP+ pads right now. Yeah the squeal and screech but if your exhaust is loud enough you shouldn't be able to tell.
I had the HP+ and while they were an improvement over stock on the track and had better bite there's no way I'd recommend them for street use. Besides making a lot of noise during street driving they dust a lot worse than stock.

Shaun at AED installed a set of the Girodisc Magic pads on his car and liked them a lot. You can read about it below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2283.msg37881#msg37881

I have used the Ferodo 2500 on the front with Hawk HPS on the rear. I am not aware of a rear Ferrodo pad that is a good match for the 2500.

The 2500 pads have a lot more bit than the stock pads. But, you get more noise and more dust. They do not hold up to track use. If you plan to track your car at all, I would look at other options.

I do occasionally track my car and switched to a Pagid RS-29 front and RS-56 rear. Its a good, long lasting combination. However, I get more noise and dust than the OEM pads and I suspect I will have greater pad and rotor wear rates on the street.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
I had the HP+ and while they were an improvement over stock on the track and had better bite there's no way I'd recommend them for street use. Besides making a lot of noise during street driving they dust a lot worse than stock.

Shaun at AED installed a set of the Girodisc Magic pads on his car and liked them a lot. You can read about it below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2283.msg37881#msg37881
where did he buy that set up? I like the weight loss :)

TMO Supporting Vendors