The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need a new Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So this weekend the clutch in my car is finally showing signs of wear. Could be previous owner, could be my son driving, could be me. lol

Anyway with nearly 19,000 miles I'm looking for the best streetable replacement. Lots of great reviews for McLeod RXT or RST twin disks, but not sure I want or need that much holding power. My engine is stock and will remain stock (AED Tune aside)

I've heard good things about Superior Clutches in San Jose as well as Exedy (online everywhere).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'll be doing the matching flywheel as well.

Thanks in advance . . .

The RST is a solid choice but there are plenty of good options. Ask Shaun at AED what he recommends.

@Shaun@AED

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Installing the SPEC 2+ this week. Good fit for my need and budget. If I tracked the car more often, I would have gone with the McLeod. Went with the lightweight steel flywheel as well.

TymeSlayer said:
Installing the SPEC 2+ this week. Good fit for my need and budget. If I tracked the car more often, I would have gone with the McLeod. Went with the lightweight steel flywheel as well.

Tymeslayer please keep us posted on the Spec 2+ and how you like it. That one was also on my list.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
SPEC 2+ Clutch and LW Steel Flywheel

The feel at the pedal was quite noticeable. There’s little doubt the stiffness is greater than the OEM and although it might get some getting used to on the street, I found after about five miles in traffic, I acclimated quite quickly. The engagement point is near the top of the pedal travel and a bit higher I think than OEM clutch but manageable. I am experiencing no chatter at all which I is one of the reasons I went with the steel vs. the aluminum flywheel. Haven’t launched yet and will take it easy until I break the new clutch in. I think I need to give it about 500 miles before I start banging through the gears aggressively.

Drove the car into work early this morning and noticed I best be working out my left foot. I see this more of an issue in traffic, on the street more than on track.

TymeSlayer said:
SPEC 2+ Clutch and LW Steel Flywheel

The feel at the pedal was quite noticeable. There’s little doubt the stiffness is greater than the OEM and although it might get some getting used to on the street, I found after about five miles in traffic, I acclimated quite quickly. The engagement point is near the top of the pedal travel and a bit higher I think than OEM clutch but manageable. I am experiencing no chatter at all which I is one of the reasons I went with the steel vs. the aluminum flywheel. Haven’t launched yet and will take it easy until I break the new clutch in. I think I need to give it about 500 miles before I start banging through the gears aggressively.

Drove the car into work early this morning and noticed I best be working out my left foot. I see this more of an issue in traffic, on the street more than on track.
Do you still have the pedal helper spring in?

TymeSlayer said:
Awesome
Going with the SPEC 2+ kit this winter. My mechanic highly recommended it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel