The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need a new dishwasher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
My old faithful Kitchen-Aid finally crapped out after 6+ years of heavy use. The control module/panel needs replacing, but I'm leery of dropping 150$ into this now. So I've been looking at Bosch, Kitchen-Aid, Maytag, and Samsung at the local Lowes. Seems like the cool feature now is an adjustable top rack. Not too keen on the models that require the silverware all be laid flat up top... I don't need a zillion options/modes, I want clean dishes! And something that is reliable and will last. Oh and no more 'stainless'. What a crock of ****. All my 'stainless' appliances are covered with water spots, gook, fingerprints, and is 10x harder to clean than previous designs... Yet another marketing gimmick foisted on the consumer, and you get to pay extra for it too! Not this time.

So I thought I would post this ? to anyone who has a newer model D/W and give a thumbs up/down on its performance. Need to pull the trigger this weekend. My kids have already learned a valuable life lesson, much to my chagrin. "If you don't want to do a job you are being forced to do, don't do it too well (or even make an effort to do it badly)."

Thanks in advance.

I have a Kitchen Aid that's 3.5 years old and I'm very happy with it. No issues so far and fairly quiet.

ace72ace

Yeah, that's a good brand. The new Samsung's and Bosch models are supposed to be super quiet, but reliability and 'clean-ability' are my top priorities. I do like the adjustable top rack too. Mighty handy when loading it up with my Cuisinart food processor bowls, etc...

Sesshomurai

I like this dishwasher. Not sure what that contraption on the counter is though...

peteski50++5-13-2011-21-05-45.jpg

ace72ace said:
My old faithful Kitchen-Aid finally crapped out after 6+ years of heavy use. The control module/panel needs replacing, but I'm leery of dropping 150$ into this now. So I've been looking at Bosch, Kitchen-Aid, Maytag, and Samsung at the local Lowes. Seems like the cool feature now is an adjustable top rack. Not too keen on the models that require the silverware all be laid flat up top... I don't need a zillion options/modes, I want clean dishes! And something that is reliable and will last. Oh and no more 'stainless'. What a crock of ****. All my 'stainless' appliances are covered with water spots, gook, fingerprints, and is 10x harder to clean than previous designs... Yet another marketing gimmick foisted on the consumer, and you get to pay extra for it too! Not this time.

So I thought I would post this ? to anyone who has a newer model D/W and give a thumbs up/down on its performance. Need to pull the trigger this weekend. My kids have already learned a valuable life lesson, much to my chagrin. "If you don't want to do a job you are being forced to do, don't do it too well (or even make an effort to do it badly)."

Thanks in advance.

Marry a Cuban. The US nor the Chinese have never made a dishwasher that can compare. The Cuban model is nice to look at as well.

Now that I think about it, the Cuban even smells betters. The Cuban model is noisy though.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
On a Boss forum the answer is obvious:

Bosch

Seriously. This house came with a Bosch dishwasher...we liked it enough that we replaced the washer and dryer with Bosch units too when the washer died. Well, died beyond my ability to jury-rig repairs. I think those were Whirlpools. Had Maytags and Kenmores growing up. No complaints about those, but all the Bosch units are impressively quiet. I wouldn't hesitate to run them when entertaining guests. 7 years on the dishwasher...run almost daily.

I have a family friend that is an engineer for whirlpool, having done a rotation working on dishwashers. Naturally he recommends the Whirlpool lines (Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid), but is also a believer in Bosch units from the tear downs and tests he has done. Currently several of the Bosch and Whirlpool makes take top honors at Consumer reports. In short, most are good, but you may wish to avoid the Korean makes. The Whirlpool brands are currently assembled in the USA if that matters to you.

ace72ace

Thanks, this was the kind of feedback I've been looking for.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I bought a Bosch 10 years ago for $1,100 a top of the line. It was very quiet and washed well for around 7yrs.
It started washing crappy and glasses were cloudy.
I tried replacing pumps, checked it out thoroughly and ended up buying a new dishwasher.
I bought a Kitchen Aid for about $500.00
It's not nearly as quiet but washes well and I figured I can buy 2 dishwashers for the price of the Bosch, especially if it last the same time.
Here's tips.

Always run sink water till it hot before you run the washer.
Only scrap heavy items off plates.
If you can find it, use detergent with Phosphate, They Removed it from detergent so glasses now get cloudy.
I bought mine from Amazon.
Use Rinse Agent.

ace72ace

We paid almost $800 years ago for this Kitchen-Aid, and its given us a lot of great service. We'll see how my new model works, just got back from Lowe's and placed my order for this;

http://www.lowes.com/pd_412533-83-GDF540HGDBB_4294857925__?productId=3842401&Ns=p_product_price|0#BVRRWidgetID

We have a Lowe's account, so I got an extra 5% off - 474$ and was eligible for $50 Lowe's gift card 424$ Win/Win.

From now on I'm calling all appliances that are 'SS' as 'stained steel' instead. Maybe in a house with no kids you can keep this stuff clean, but around here, there are stains, splatters, water marks, finger prints galore. Got my D/W in black, for a $100 cheaper than stained steel. Everyone else should keep paying the premium for it, so the rest of us can get black or white at reduced cost. =D

Sesshomurai

302BOB said:
Just put in a new kitchen in my castle. Stained steel fridge & microhood to please the better half..dish washer is state of the art sponge & palmolive liquid...very quiet... ;D

Is that palmolive liquid DOT3 or DOT4?

ace72ace

Only 6 more days of half cleaned dishes and 2 pissed off whiney kids... :mad:

[edit] Correction - only 2 more days, got the call that it came in early and they just dropped it off an hour ago. But I never got the 'we'll call you back to setup the delivery window' call, just the 'we'll be there in 15-20 min call..' Oops better get the old one ripped out and ready to go for the free haul away. So I disconnect the water feed and drain hose, and then go to disconnect the wiring after tripping the circuit breaker marked 'Dishwasher'. Surprise! Sparks, still a live wire as the goofy electrician has it spliced into the circuit/breaker on top of the Dishwasher breaker... Nice.

Pix after it's in.

photo1_zps03a62ca2.jpg
photo2_zpsc3634797.jpg
photo3_zpsd1486b75.jpg

Love it, does the job. Extra silverware basket is nice, and removes easily. Re-used the thicker insulation blanket from the KitchenAid. Lowe's was pushing that you buy their drain hose, either unaware or don't care that most all new DW's come with one. Glad I didn't bother, save you the hassle of returning the one they recommend.

And yes, this thread does show how empty and pathetic my life has become when I can't drive my Boss during the winter except on that rare sunny day. Sigh. :(

TMO Supporting Vendors