The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need a new motor...please point me in the best path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If the only issue is visual, then the shop by my house would not care. They are a bunch of track rats. I'm sure they would "not notice" the headers. Looks like NC hasn't adopted CA rules. Hopefully we keep it that way.
the headers might be compliant, this is why SEMA was created and why everyone should join it, it protects people like us from the current bag of douchecanoes in Washington.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Since I've been asking all the noob questions, I'll just keep going.... :p
Dropped the cadaver off at the mechanic's today. Discussing all the work, we broached the subject of adding LTH's and high-flow cats since the motor is out anyway. This is a dual-purpose car. Any issues with that? Will I run into emissions issues? My understanding was always that LTHs were not emission-legal.
I have had catted Stainless Power headers for 3 years and it hasn’t been an issue in Maryland

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Was at the shop this morning, and learned a new piece of information. The mechanic said that he recorded the code history prior to clearing it all. As expected, every alarm in the book went off when the engine failed. But he noticed that 5 miles prior to the event, it had a CHT overtemp alarm at 248 deg. So I am wondering...stuck thermostat? Something else? Since my instructor was driving at the time I didn't see the dash to notice it at the time. I don't recall hearing a chime. Also coincidentally 5 miles prior was right about when I pulled into the hot pit to swap drivers. I can't recall if I perhaps turned the engine off, causing temp to spike? Does 248 even sound like it could be a cause?

When we ran the Boss 302s in Grand Am, all that was changed was the oil pump gears, .020 on the block, Mahle pistons, Manley rods, and ( I forget) valve springs. We ran an accusump and an oil cooler. I don't recall dry sumps even being legal in Fords at the time.
The PWC cars were all dry sumped, so are the Gt4s.
As I recall these engines were pretty robust, the guys had to duck out of the draft now and then to prevent excessive overheating, but we never broke one because of it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel