The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need a new motor...please point me in the best path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
:cool: With the 500 rwhp, the only real difference between us is that you have E85 and I ran those numbers with 98 race gas. Waiting for my repaired tranny before we can run the car on the Dyno with E85. I suspect we might get a 10 hp gain but who knows. At least the false knock is gone now. Was a real pain in the ass. Funny, I think the false knock was keeping my tranny running. First day out with out false knock, the trannies main shaft broke.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
:cool: With the 500 rwhp, the only real difference between us is that you have E85 and I ran those numbers with 98 race gas. Waiting for my repaired tranny before we can run the car on the Dyno with E85. I suspect we might get a 10 hp gain but who knows. At least the false knock is gone now. Was a real pain in the ass. Funny, I think the false knock was keeping my tranny running. First day out with out false knock, the trannies main shaft broke.
Different dynos in different countries and different weather and altitudes.
Anything over 500 hp is a win for me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My first motor was 12 hp from 91 to e85 so it's not much of a bump.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Update (in the unlikely case anyone was hugely interested)...I ordered a Gen2 crate motor (new old stock) at a good price from a friend who is a parts dealer. Weighing out the options this will be much more cost effective. Although the idea of getting the Gen3 + Tremec Power Module was tempting. I just don't think I have the budget right now to deal with the Gen3 conversion. Next time I blow it up I'll go Dark Horse. :p

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Update (in the unlikely case anyone was hugely interested)...I ordered a Gen2 crate motor (new old stock) at a good price from a friend who is a parts dealer. Weighing out the options this will be much more cost effective. Although the idea of getting the Gen3 + Tremec Power Module was tempting. I just don't think I have the budget right now to deal with the Gen3 conversion. Next time I blow it up I'll go Dark Horse. :p
If you used gen 1 or 2 heads and gen 2 cams it all works with the stock PCM but this is a much simpler solution.
Glad you got it worked out. Make sure whoever installs the motor cleans out the intake manifold thoroughly, I have seen this kill many new motors in the years I have been doing car stuff. Shrapnel hides up in the nooks and cranny's and then unloads into a new motor and poof....you need another new motor.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yup, Santiago is at 2100 ft above sea level. and yes, 500rwhp is enough for me!!
That's great power for that altitude. I don't know what altitude Shauns shop is but its up in the mountains too....

EDIT: 1596'

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
If you used gen 1 or 2 heads and gen 2 cams it all works with the stock PCM but this is a much simpler solution.
Glad you got it worked out. Make sure whoever installs the motor cleans out the intake manifold thoroughly, I have seen this kill many new motors in the years I have been doing car stuff. Shrapnel hides up in the nooks and cranny's and then unloads into a new motor and poof....you need another new motor.
Good advice. I ordered a new intake manifold and oil cooler just to be sure.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Monaca Pa
Do you have a detailed parts, cost sheet?
I wrote down what I paid for most of the parts but the cost was scary and stopped lol. Only 3 parts were used from blown engine. The knock sensors, GT350 throttle body and oil filter adapter. I used Ford Performance parts except pistons, rods and bearings and L&M intake cams. My wife said build it right lol what a mistake. 💸💸💸

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Since I've been asking all the noob questions, I'll just keep going.... :p
Dropped the cadaver off at the mechanic's today. Discussing all the work, we broached the subject of adding LTH's and high-flow cats since the motor is out anyway. This is a dual-purpose car. Any issues with that? Will I run into emissions issues? My understanding was always that LTHs were not emission-legal.

Last edited:
Since I've been asking all the noob questions, I'll just keep going.... :p
Dropped the cadaver off at the mechanic's today. Discussing all the work, we broached the subject of adding LTH's and high-flow cats since the motor is out anyway. This is a dual-purpose car. Any issues with that? Will I run into emissions issues? My understanding was always that LTHs were not emission-legal.
Prolly not in NC unless they have some type of vehicle inspection that runs the electronics, normally it is a visual check for cats and etc. You can usually slide a bunch by them since they are not real techs in most cases. If you live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia then you will have real issues. In the Free State of Florida, we ditched all the vehicle inspection stuff years ago since it had little effect on safety or air quality and was just a money maker for the state.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Prolly not in NC unless they have soem type of vehicle inspection that runs the electronics, normally it is a visual check for cats and etc. You can usually slide a bunch by them since they are not real techs in most cases. If you live in the People's Republik of
If the only issue is visual, then the shop by my house would not care. They are a bunch of track rats. I'm sure they would "not notice" the headers. Looks like NC hasn't adopted CA rules. Hopefully we keep it that way.

TMO Supporting Vendors