The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need advice on paint scratch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright guys I need some advice here. I got two small scratches on my driver's side rear quarter just behind the door, where side scoops would be (on a Mustang that has them). I have taken my Boss to a few different shops, and the first one did a quick hand buff, the second shop actually sanded down my clearcoat and could not get rid of them. Do I have any other option as far as getting rid of them? They are both small, but just barely deep enough to feel with my fingernail. I've tried a touch up pen, and it just puts globs of paint on them. At this point, I either need to figure some other way to get rid of them, OR get some OEM side scoops and put them on (which isn't something I was planning to put on my Boss). Does anyone know any tricks or products that can get rid of or fill in these scratches? Thanks.

Pic:
10941826_10206697197765991_3406927309609697664_n.jpg

Ignore the swirls and fingerprints...one scratch is in the middle of the pic and the other is up and left from it. The middle scratch has a chip in the paint too, but that I'm not worried about.

Shop says he's not comfortable sanding any further. Is there anything that will actually make them better?

like you said, you can always hide them if you cant get rid of them. install a set of scoops if the scratches brother you that bad. just a thought. i scratch my rear deck lid by the stock spoiler. removed the stock and replaced with GT500 and never looked back.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think it depends what you are willing to live with. The appearance of the scratches can be reduced by polishing locally by hand, mostly perpendicular to the scratches to bevel the sharp edges. I would do this if the scratch has not gone through the clear and into the color coat.

It's hard to see how deep they are.

If it's through the color coat I would expect to use something like Dr. color chip. I haven't used it personally, but it seems to have good reviews from others here. I would use it on any of the solid colors. Didn't bother with some of mine on the KB GT and used a clear touch *very sparingly* up to reduce the white/center of the scratch and polished down the outer edges. I haven't had to use it on the Comp Orange Boss...but that's what I'd use for a color touch up.

I don't really want to have anything showing haha. What kind of polish would you guys recommend? I could try to polish them. I think they are too deep to polish though. I've been experimenting with touch up paint with no good results. They are just two minor scratches, I just want to figure out how to get rid them. There's got to be something I can do to fix them, I just can't figure out what.

Grant 302

I like Meguair's polishes. I'd normally start with their lighter/lightest compounds to make sure you aren't using something too aggressive. Like in the 1-3 'cut' range...but you might need to start with something as high as their Scratch-X which I think is like a 6 or 7 cut level.

Their polishes degrade as you work with them...maybe somebody could explain better.

I would give the DR Color chip a try. I've used it some if my other cars with decent results. You can do a few applications to fill in the depth of the chip. Just make sure you wait a few days in between applications so the original coat can set. If after that you are still not satisfied a re-shoot may be needed.

Well ill give the Dr colorchip a shot...if I have to respray, will it even look good? Can it be blended to look oem?

Grant 302

Any good painter should be able to make a repaint good on race red. The tri-coat colors like KB and YB are tough to match.

Good luck and please post some pics of the touch up.

Well guys, I tried some Meguire's Scratch-X, and it had little effect. Then I tried my Dr Colorchip kit, and neither scratch seems deep enough to hold paint. I spent hours today trying to make it work, but it was a waste. So I guess my next option is to find a different body shop. The first shop I went to wet sanded and told me that no more clearcoat can be taken off, and offered no other options to fix. They seemed to have the attitude that my issue was not important and they didn't have time for me. So when I go to a new shop, what exactly can I ask them to do? If sanding/polishing is no longer an option.

Instead of going to a body shop how about finding a detailer with a great reputation. My theory is that to a body shop this is a small job not worth their time but to a detailer spending time cleaning up scratches is what they do.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
arabbit said:
Well guys, I tried some Meguire's Scratch-X, and it had little effect. Then I tried my Dr Colorchip kit, and neither scratch seems deep enough to hold paint. I spent hours today trying to make it work, but it was a waste. So I guess my next option is to find a different body shop. The first shop I went to wet sanded and told me that no more clearcoat can be taken off, and offered no other options to fix. They seemed to have the attitude that my issue was not important and they didn't have time for me. So when I go to a new shop, what exactly can I ask them to do? If sanding/polishing is no longer an option.

Hey bud, let's compare notes at the Mustangs with Altitude show this Saturday. Your experience is universal around here.

TMO Supporting Vendors