The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

need an inexpensive lap timer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

was looking for an inexpensive lap timer and don't want to use my phone. I'm a lo tech guy so I just need something to click of flaps and store them, I don't need track mapping and all that other crap. I like the sound of a gps system since it's all contained in one lump and I understand that IRs can pick up other transmitters. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a gps based track timer that isn't an app and doesn't have "all that crap". Why not just use a watch tied around your steering wheel? That's how we did it in the olden times.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Harrys lap times app is about as easy as is gets.

Turn it on and it starts it self at the start finish line.

Don't look at all the fancy stuff if you prefer.

Lap time page gives you what you want.

Less than $30.00.

I know you don't want to use your phone, but it really is the simplest solution. What if you picked up an older phone and mount for cheap and used it for a dedicated track phone? No calling plan, just for the GPS and running the track app. Plus you can use it to take video of the lap with some track apps and it overlays some data. I have an old DroidX I plan on doing just that with IF it has enough horsepower to take video and run the app at the same time... Will probably use Trackmaster. If I can't do video then RaceChrono.

After checking around decided to go with the g tech RR, it seems to be the most self contained and idiot proof. (I'm just a lo tech guys in a hi tech world)

TMO Supporting Vendors