The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need harness Solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,

I have a 2012 that I track maybe 5 times a year. This is my first car to ever have on a track, so needless to say im not all that fast and very green to the whole scene. On a regular basis I use my backseat for my kids or just freinds when going out. So I have a situation I'd like some assistance with. I would like a harness restraint system for the times I track my Boss. Mainly to help me stay planted in the seat while driving. I am often using my left leg as a brace and leaning one way or the other during cornering. I feel like if im going to be faster it would be helpful if I was not flailing about it :eek:. So, im looking for some kind of harness system that I can easily install without losing my backseat by having to add a roll cage or harness bar. I have talked to Pete @ Track Day solutions and he did not have anything that worked. So im reaching out to you guys to see if anyone else knows of a solution.

Thanks guys
Gregg

If you get the harness long enough you can bolt it to the ground. Or where the seat bolts in. Sorry if that's stupid just thought I would suggest things I've seen the riders do ::)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
jfolsom28 said:
If you get the harness long enough you can bolt it to the ground. Or where the seat bolts in. Sorry if that's stupid just thought I would suggest things I've seen the riders do ::)

This is not a good idea. Shoulder harnesses need to be installed within a 10 degree angle from horizontal plane of the drivers shoulder. Anchoring the harness to the floor and wrapping up and over the seat back and drivers shoulders will cause spinal compression during a collision. Please seek out installation instructions from the harness manufacturers before installing. The wrong way is worse than no harness at all. 4 point systems aren't really good either, with out anti submarine strap(s) the lap belt will ride up on the abdomen and cause internal organ injury during a crash.
Steve

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Neither of these ideas are ideal solutions, but you're looking for a solution that's not ideal anyway, so here they are.

If the angle doesn't become too steep, could you add a bar behind the back seat? Put in a seat that folds down (placing your Boss seat cover on it) or have an upholstery shop (or DIY) add pass-throughs for the belts.

Or you could look at one of those little gadgets that help tighten the stock 3-point belt. In addition to this, move your seat-back and seat-bottom back a notch to buckle and then move them back forward once buckled. I think your belt needs to lock for this to be effective at tightening you in when you move the seat forward. Not sure if the Boss seatbelt locks that easily, but it's an old, cheap autoX trick I've seen done on street cars.

If neither of these works for you, I hope they at least get you (or someone else) thinking along the lines of a solution that will work for you. Best of luck and let us know if you figure something out and how it works out.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i recommend to my students in your very situation, to buy a CG Lock. I have used mine for years in a variety of cars. best $35 you will spend! it doesn't control your torso, but does a really good job of keeping your butt planted in the seat.

its been beaten to death everywhere, but facts are still facts...harness bars MUST be used in conjunction with and anti-submarine style shoulder harness to be safe in a roll over.

I agree completely with Steve. The shoulder belts are the key here and cannot be secured too low, I have seen some setups where the shoulder strap is secured to the rear seat belt attachment but the same downward angle issue will occur. And yes, you really need a 5 or 6 pt system, for the submarine belt.

I recently went through this same issue and there are at least three decent options, for a removable system without tearing up the seats.

First off, Cooltech has an excellent solution for the lap belt and submarine belt clip. They sell clips that attach to the existing seat belt runner screw, behind the front seat. The lap belts attach here. The submarine belt also attaches here and feeds in through the back and bottom of your seat, under your buttocks and to your latch. This has also been called a Corvette belt.

Now the real issue is with the shoulder harness.

1) Corbeau harness bar. This is a nice removable bar the secures itself at the four existing shoulder seat belt attachment points. It is removeable and fairly easy to install and remove. There is no cutting or drilling. This is my choice, and I'm very happy with the result. It is not a roll bar and does not provide rollover protection, but let's face it, a roll bar is pretty minimal protection anyway, and no where near a real cage for rollover protection. In addition, even the 6 point roll bar will give limited protection from side impact. Also, modern vehicular construction has decent roof rigidity, anyway.

2) MM 4 point roll bar, with a removable harness bar, sans the diagonal bar. This will probably give you the most protection, because it has rollover protection, as mentioned. The harness bar, which is bolted in, can be removed. The downsides are cost (product price and installation $$$) and the interior mods (vinyl cutting) that need to be performed.

3) Pull down the back seats and attach the shoulder harness to a high point in the frame. I've seen this done in BMWs but not the Boss. It should be doable. Just pick a high point.

Please let me know if you need any links or pics. I'm happy to show you my setup.

reakhavok said:
I have talked to Pete @ Track Day solutions and he did not have anything that worked. So im reaching out to you guys to see if anyone else knows of a solution.

Thanks guys
Gregg
Pete uses a harness bar and there's no safe way to do this without one. From what I've seen the Corbeau harness bar is not that difficult to install for track days and then remove. I helped a friend install one and it's not that big of a deal. This will be your best option.

TMO Supporting Vendors