The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need help: Another paint question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright guys so I started a topic months ago about a scratch that I got on the rear quarter of my Boss. I'm starting a new thread to simplify the question I am asking. I had a shop polish the scratch, and it did not take it out. I had another shop wet sand it, it also didn't work. I tried Dr. Colorchip and it didn't work. I had a touch up service take a look at it and tell me there was nothing he could do for it. I was then referred to someone at a dealership that specializes in spot painting and blending. He looked at it today and was fairly confident that he could fix it, by doing the following: sanding the clearcoat for the small area, putting new primer and paint on the spot, and then putting a new layer of clearcoat over it and blending the whole thing together.

So, my question is: has anyone ever heard of this? I'm skeptical of having someone paint a small area and blend it with the rest. Also, if I do this, will it compromise my factory paint or clear? I don't want to have a small spot painted and then have the clearcoat around it start to bubble or lift.

My only other option is to put on some side scoops and cover up the scratch (its located right where a scoop would go), but I don't know that I want to do that. So I need advice, is it a good idea to spot paint and blend? Or should I play it safe and just cover it up with side scoops?

I've accepted that it cannot be touched up. Now im moving on to painting it. But I will not repaint the whole panel, this spot paint and blend *sounds* pretty good, but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this.

I'd rather have someone paint a small spot on the car with the possibility of it not being perfect than painting the whole car.

VooDooBOSS said:
I'd rather have someone paint a small spot on the car with the possibility of it not being perfect than painting the whole car.

Exactly. For me, painting the whole car is not an option. I'm just wondering if that will look okay or if I should cover it with side scoops and call it a day. I don't really want to put on side scoops at this point, but one way or another I need to cover that damn scratch.

What is being proposed will work fine. It is no different than blending a panel or adjacent panel for larger collision repair. It's is actually the best way to fix a deep scratch.

Even if you panted the entire panel, all the adjacent panels would need to be scuffed and blended with the repainted panel. If you don't blend the panels, you will be able to see a subtle shade difference with the fresh paint.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Your paint guy has the right process. The primer is necessary and I have seen this type repair come out flawless after wet sanding and buffing. However, it's always best to see examples of their work if possible.

Good luck with your paint repair.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
It sounds as if the scratch is awful deep.

Your car is new enough and as long as you haven't left it out in the sun, the blend should work fine. Had something like this done on my 2008 Mountaineer and you can't tell where the work was done. The process is solid - the workmanship is the key.

That process will be fine.

The tricky part will be the color match. Being non-metallic, race red isn't the most challenging to color match but it's never so simple that it's guaranteed to come out perfect.

I saw this done on a RR boss. The rear quater had a scratch right below the front of the quater window that was past the paint. The spot was sanded / primed and the rear quater body work was painted and from the center of the wheel arch it was blended in to about the gas cap. About 1 foot of the door was also blended in. After the pannel and door had the trim / stripes installed and buffed. You never knew it happened. No matter what angle you looked at it. By doing it that way is the best repair you can get.

As others have stated... Just ask to see some of the shops work. Most shops that do high quality work have photo ablums sometimes. Thats also a sign that they are proud of there work.

With the right shop....You will be fine!

The scratches are down to metal, and in one of the scratches is a large chip that is also down to the metal. I posted this on another forum as well, and some members there say that after some time, the new clear will start peeling up. Anyone ever had that happen?

Here's my though process right now: as long as doing this spot paint/blend won't damage or compromise any of the original paint outside the small area where the scratch is, I will probably go ahead and do it. Then, if it doesn't look like I want, I can still cover the whole thing up with side scoops. It'll be even more money wasted, but at least I tried.

Hello,

Mine is getting touched up right now. I had a similar problem. Passenger rear quarter panel, above the wheel arch. Probably a total of 8-10 inches of damaged paint, no damaged to the actual body. Took it to a local place, that paints old hot rods and high end cars. I post pics as soon as it is done.

Yeah please do. I may go ahead and have mine done as well just to see if it works out. And then if it sucks I can still cover it with scoops. At least I got the scratch in a place where I can cover it if it looks awful.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
arabbit said:
Yeah please do. I may go ahead and have mine done as well just to see if it works out. And then if it sucks I can still cover it with scoops. At least I got the scratch in a place where I can cover it if it looks awful.

Did you ever get this repaired and how do you like the results?

No, I decided I would like to try side scoops first. I'm going to order a set of OEM scoops here soon and see how I like the look. If I can't stand how they look, then I'll take them off and do the paint repair

TMO Supporting Vendors