The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need Help from Better Ears than My Own (GT350 Engine Cold Start Health)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you guys help me out? I'm trying to virtually inspect a car for potential purchase and I don't hear anything wrong with the cold start engine note, but I also don't trust myself.

Thanks!

Can you guys help me out? I'm trying to virtually inspect a car for potential purchase and I don't hear anything wrong with the cold start engine note, but I also don't trust myself.

Thanks!

thats what mine sounds like buuuuuutt i immediately open the exhaust

Okay so I think the consensus here is that other than not having the decency to indulge us with open exhaust valves, the car sounds like it's healthy. Let me know if I've totally missed someone saying otherwise.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Greetings ARD——25:

Internet Car Buying Rule #1: Never buy a car off the internet without an inspection. If you can’t get there, pay a few hundred USD & have it professionally inspected.

Rule #2: See Rule #1. If you get my drift. It’s just that so many people have been burnt. Come to think about even Dave Kindig (Salt Lake City) was burnt on a 32 roadster he bought online w/o an inspection.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
I've bought several vehicles remotely, daily drivers and not proper hot rods mind you. And twice I've gotten an inspection before I went out to see it myself and close the deal. Both times I've been disappointed in things the inspection missed. So just a thought, maybe someone has a rec for a good inspector or inspection service where the vehicle is located.

But heck, ya know you want it and ya know you're gonna buy it...so, don't stress yourself too much.

Deal for this one fell through, couldn't close the gap on price. Appreciate the input from everyone here though. If I find another, I might ask for more help if you'll tolerate me :cool:

Greetings ARD——25:

Internet Car Buying Rule #1: Never buy a car off the internet without an inspection. If you can’t get there, pay a few hundred USD & have it professionally inspected.

Rule #2: See Rule #1. If you get my drift. It’s just that so many people have been burnt. Come to think about even Dave Kindig (Salt Lake City) was burnt on a 32 roadster he bought online w/o an inspection.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

I've purchased two cars online, one new (via carsdirect.com) and one used (via eBay) and had good experiences both times. The eBay car had been in some sort of accident they didn't disclose, but literally the only way I could tell was by using a paint meter to see a fender had been repainted. It was perfectly repaired and we've owned the car for 2 years and it's otherwise flawless. I guess it smelled like perfume when we got it, but that went away after a detail and a few weeks. As @JrFish pointed out, I just don't have much faith in the hired inspectors, I suspect I'd expect them to go over the car like I would go over the car, and they're not going to do that so thus I'd be disappointed with them anyway.

Not saying I disagree with you, but thus far I've taken my chances and lived to to tell the tale.

TMO Supporting Vendors