The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need more negative camber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Wondering what the best route for more neg camber would be? I currently have MM cc plates and I’m getting -2.7 but after putting 19x11 with 305s up front it looks like I need more to get the wheels to tuck under the fender.
Has anyone drilled the strut tower and managed to get more camber from the MM plates or would I be better off slotting the strut mounting hole?
Any other options or advice is welcome..

E3997802-CC09-4243-81C1-0BC5CB2C3C3D.jpegB3D92CE9-689C-4A0D-B252-2D209E814E50.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Luckily the MM plates haven’t given me any issues other than not providing enough camber. Vorshlag plates would be nice but not in the budget. Seems like drilling the strut tower mount holes would be the most cost effective and still get the extra camber I need.
Thank you all for the quick response!

1638455233758.png

We have cut the strut tower opening like above on every S197 and S550 that sees track duty. The first limit you run into with anyone's camber plate is the strut tower opening. Vorschag used to sell a jig for use with a hole saw. But, you can drill a pilot hole inboard, then cut a hole with a hole saw, and then even up the opening like above with a cutoff wheel or grinder.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I had the same -2.5 max camber with the MM plates. Adding upper and lower camber bolts got me up to a max of -5 degrees camber. Finally settled on -3.5

sfo
I had the same -2.5 max camber with the MM plates. Adding upper and lower camber bolts got me up to a max of -5 degrees camber. Finally settled on -3.5

Don't you want to add camber at the strut top and reserve the camber bolts for tire clearance because messing with camber bolts negatively effects scrub radius?

sfo
View attachment 70603

We have cut the strut tower opening like above on every S197 and S550 that sees track duty. The first limit you run into with anyone's camber plate is the strut tower opening. Vorschag used to sell a jig for use with a hole saw. But, you can drill a pilot hole inboard, then cut a hole with a hole saw, and then even up the opening like above with a cutoff wheel or grinder.

I have the vorschlag jig if anyone needs one. An advantage to the bigger hole is to access the rest of the adjustment screws but TBH I have never adjusted those and to see what your camber is on the scale. But the slot method might remove less metal and keep things stiffer?
20211202_094323.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Don't you want to add camber at the strut top and reserve the camber bolts for tire clearance because messing with camber bolts negatively effects scrub radius?
Not really since already running a 25mm spacer for the 315 up front. Am confused by "reserve the camber bolts for tire clearance"

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Wondering what the best route for more neg camber would be? I currently have MM cc plates and I’m getting -2.7 but after putting 19x11 with 305s up front it looks like I need more to get the wheels to tuck under the fender.
Has anyone drilled the strut tower and managed to get more camber from the MM plates or would I be better off slotting the strut mounting hole?
Any other options or advice is welcome..

View attachment 70570View attachment 70571
Which wheels are those? We had problems with the SVE 350R wheels. the offset left almost any tire hanging out.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Carver, Sometymes old school prevails over new stuff......you know you're not a spring chicken anymore when you even talk about old school...but it does bring back pleasant memories.........................at least for me................................:biggrin:
Hah, That's one of my favorite things about the Boss 302 is it has so much old school DNA but also modern perks and safety!! :hellyeah:and yes I have fond memories of the 60's and 70's....crap I'm getting old !!

Is that a fixed position plate or will it slide in slots ? looks kinda custom made ....which I really like !!
it slides, if you call Phoenix they can fill you in.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Which wheels are those? We had problems with the SVE 350R wheels. the offset left almost any tire hanging out.
They are the SVE X500 so they have the same +50 offset as the 350
Did you ever find a remedy?
I was going to go the same route as @carver and shift the strut mounting holes over but now I’m not sure that will be enough.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
They are the SVE X500 so they have the same +50 offset as the 350
Did you ever find a remedy?
I was going to go the same route as @carver and shift the strut mounting holes over but now I’m not sure that will be enough.
Sorry, he had the 19x10 fronts with a 40mm offset. I forgot you must have the square 19x11 setup.

Last edited:

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
all-the-cambers-S197-tower-blank%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

As many have said, this camber travel limitation is likely from your strut tower opening...

B61G1465-L.jpg

As you can see, the S197 hole is less than 2" in diameter, and the shaft on non-inverted struts sticks up above this...

_DSC6109-L.jpg

Most struts made for the S197 are non-inverted and have this long upper threaded stem, and often an adjuster knob, that will limit your inboard travel.

B61G1480-L.jpg

Starting in 2015 we started using a fixture we built to cut the towers on the S197, which opened them up for a lot more camber and caster travel with our camber/caster plates.

B61G1484-S.jpgB61G1461-S.jpg

You can use whatever hole saw size you want but we recommend a 2.5" or 2.75" OD version to keep the maximum strength in the cold formed upper "tower" section - that gives you PLENTY of travel.

B61G9345-L.jpg

For about 2 years we loaned out our one fixture tool, but it kept "not coming back" so when we got a CNC plasma table in 2018 we started making these...

IMG_8473-L.jpg

We make them for 5 chassis now and they sell like hot cakes. We don't make much money on these, but it provides a service to the community, and we encourage people to share them with friends. Some shops have bought "one of each" and they can be used dozens of times.

P9131042-S.jpgP9261261-S.jpg

https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Instructions/S550-Strut-Tower-Clearancing/

The link above is a step-by-step instruction gallery of how these work, and the S550 tools are one of our most popular (we've sold 100s).

Camber-life-L.jpg

Cheers!

TMO Supporting Vendors