The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need Oil pressure, temp and Tranny temp gauges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am getting the Boss LS dash pod for three gauges. Would like to get a set for Oil temp, Oil pressure and Tranny oil temp. Apart from the gauges themselves what else would I have to get??? Are all the sensors already on the car or do I need to source them too??

Seems strange to race a car without these so its about time to put them in..... But my electrical skill are not great so have been delaying. Was thinking of autometer since Ford racing is much more expensive... or is that for a reason??

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think they should get their own sensors and you'll have to tap them into your plumbing where you want your data to come from. Pre or post oil cooler etc.

I love gauges, but what I'd also want on a race car are BIG lights at or near the top of the dash for the warnings.

Like these:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/41371/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Warning-Light-Kits/1321858/10002/-1
https://www.summitracing.com/search...ct-line/longacre-gagelites-warning-light-kits

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Good idea on the lights. Ok, so I plump the sensors in the appropriate systems. I imagine that the same sensors would work for both the gauges and the lights?? Is their a standard voltage range for these things?? Going to install a oil cooler on the Mt82 and would like to see what the temp drop would be.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I see Jegs gauges are about half the price of Autometer.... and Autometer is less then half of ford racing... Are Jegs gauges decent??? Will get a warning light for oil pressure thats for sure.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Good idea on the lights. Ok, so I plump the sensors in the appropriate systems. I imagine that the same sensors would work for both the gauges and the lights?? Is their a standard voltage range for these things?? Going to install a oil cooler on the Mt82 and would like to see what the temp drop would be.

Some of those light sensors aren't good for gauges, they are simply an on/off switch for the pre-set temp or pressure.

I see Jegs gauges are about half the price of Autometer.... and Autometer is less then half of ford racing... Are Jegs gauges decent??? Will get a warning light for oil pressure thats for sure.

I like and 'trust' Autometer...can't really comment on Jeg's gauges.

What did you order for gauges? A number of the Autometer gauge series are fully programmable for low, high, and even higher warning temps or pressures. The light color and flashing backlight are also fully programmable.

My autometer gauges are programmed with blue backlights for low temps, switch to green for normal temps, and red or flashing red for high temps. Similar strategy for oil pressures.

I have the FR pod and added my own gauge setup.
Autometer 270 sweep with FR logo.
Water temp is picked up at the block heater location, oil pressure with a T at the OE location and Oil temp at the sandwich plate.
These engines definitely need an oil cooler.
I'm on my third try to get it right and BTW where I should have started.
948 is going in and we'll see how it does.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I hope to have them tomorrow, stuck in Customs... Not quite sure if my autometer gauges are that programmable.....

I mounted my coolant temp sensor in the heater block port on the drivers side. You will need a brass reducer bushing for this.

I mounted my oil temp sensor in my thermostat housing before the oil coolers. If you mount it in a sandwich plate, try to put it pre-cooler.

My third gauge is trans temp using a drain port.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nice oil pan! which one is that??? Am rebuilding my spare Mt82 now so will prepare it for the trans temp sensor and a oil cooler system at the same time. looking forward to having gauges and a better idea whats going on in my beloved beast. Also installing a lot of heat shields for the exhaust and starter motor etc!

Nice oil pan! which one is that??? Am rebuilding my spare Mt82 now so will prepare it for the trans temp sensor and a oil cooler system at the same time. looking forward to having gauges and a better idea whats going on in my beloved beast. Also installing a lot of heat shields for the exhaust and starter motor etc!

It’s by Moroso in aluminum. Adding extra oil capacity helps with oils temps too.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the FR pod and added my own gauge setup.
Autometer 270 sweep with FR logo.
Water temp is picked up at the block heater location, oil pressure with a T at the OE location and Oil temp at the sandwich plate.
These engines definitely need an oil cooler.
I'm on my third try to get it right and BTW where I should have started.
948 is going in and we'll see how it does.
May ne a stupid question, but where is the OE oil pressue location?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel