The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need some Guidance ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB218

TMO Addict
Hi everybody -sorry for the long post.

A really strange thing happened to me while driving today. I had been driving for about 30 minutes with the silver key. I stopped at a light, on a slight incline ~15 degrees. When the light changed, I shifted from N to 1 and accelerated. The car started moving, then jerked like it was going to stall. A second or so later, it stalled. My RPMs were around 2000. I started the car again, same results. My RPMs this time were around 2500. I started the car again; this time I had the RPMs around 3500 and the car shuddered but moved. I pulled into a parking lot and did several N to 1 starts with no issue. So I continued on my way thinking it was a fluke.

I drove the car for another 5+ minutes without incident. I came to an intersection and stopped (on level ground). I start to pull out: clutch starts to grab, car starts to move, then stutters and dies. RPMs 1700-2100. It fired back up but stuttered badly as it moves. RPMs in 2800-3200 range. Also got a whiff of clutch. Drove for another 10 minutes, with stops, no issues.

The car has the original clutch with 3800 miles on it. Never tracked. I did not see any warning lights on the dash. It doesn't really feel as if the car looses power, it almost feels like the car is being held back -like the emergency brake is on when it happens. (Triple checked: it is off).

I had the original battery die about 2 weeks ago. I replaced it with a new Motorcraft battery, and did the relearn procedure (warmup, ac on for a minute, drive 10 miles) at that time. This was the first real road trip sine the battery was replaced. Going to try to connect a code reader to the car tomorrow and see if anything was recorded.

Any ideas or suggestions on things to check?

As always, thank you all for your help, guidance, and feedback.

GB218

The first thought I had was something is up with the clutch. Is your car still under warranty?

GB218

TMO Addict
Hi Rick,

I'm thinking along the same lines... I'm not sure if it would be the disc or maybe the throwout bearing?

As for being under warranty: My powertrain is covered into mid 2018, but it doesn't appear that they cover the clutch disk:

Under the "What is Not Covered" section of the warranty - "Item 20) Maintenance/Mechanical – service adjustments and cleaning, batteries of all types and cables, belts, hoses and hose clamps, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes,linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, coolant, exhaust system (includes catalytic converter), filters, fluids, lubricants, all lamps and lights (led and hid bulbs, sealed beam, and lenses), spark plugs, spark plug wires, squeaks and rattles, tires, tune-ups, wheel balancing, wheel alignment and shock absorbers."

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the code scan done until Monday.

Thanks.

GB218

TMO Supporting Vendors