The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need some Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SO I was looking at the Undercarriage to gauge what I needed to clean and I discovered a screw in my Drivers front tire. It does not appear to be leaking air, but seems pretty in there since I cant move it with my fingers.

Should I take it and get it plugged or patched?

I don't do any track driving, but I do drive fairly aggressive around town. Also I only have 2000 miles on the original tires.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Anything in your tire is an accident waiting to happen. If it's not on the sidewall you can have it patched from the inside. Don't get it plugged. There are some plug products that work very well but the ones you'll get at your local repair shop will probably eventually fail.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
oh that is sad to hear. did you get the wheel and tire coverage? I got it on my boss and it covers things like that. and due to its speed rating the replace it no matter where the hole is.

PeteInCT said:
Anything in your tire is an accident waiting to happen. If it's not on the sidewall you can have it patched from the inside. Don't get it plugged. There are some plug products that work very well but the ones you'll get at your local repair shop will probably eventually fail.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do that. I just don't know How much I trust the person doing the patch(even though they are a good family friend)

Justin said:
oh that is sad to hear. did you get the wheel and tire coverage? I got it on my boss and it covers things like that. and due to its speed rating the replace it no matter where the hole is.

My dealer did not give me that option, Looking back I should have asked about it.

Well after looking around for people to patch my tire after my friend said they couldn't I ended up at the Lincoln dealership in my town(I bought my boss from their ford dealer in Mississippi). I asked them about an oil change as well and they are going to do the patch for free. So $89 for the oil change and the patch typically would be $20, so I'm getting the oils change for like $69. I think that's an ok deal.

killerwill13 said:
Well after looking around for people to patch my tire after my friend said they couldn't I ended up at the Lincoln dealership in my town(I bought my boss from their ford dealer in Mississippi). I asked them about an oil change as well and they are going to do the patch for free. So $89 for the oil change and the patch typically would be $20, so I'm getting the oils change for like $69. I think that's an ok deal.
wheel will have to be ballanced if they remove the tire from the rim.

HackBoss302 said:
Check the oil before you leave the dealership. 8.5 qts is not the norm for most cars and oil change rookies have been know to make mistakes.

And make sure they're using the right oil - 5W-50 Motorcraft full synthetic.

TMO Supporting Vendors