The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need to buy a wax for a LSP on Blackfire wet diamond sealant / yellow blaze car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
What wax would really set off my process and have a warm/wet look to it (yeah yeah) on my yellow blaze car.

(preferrably something budget friendly as its brutal in phoenix so will be going through whatever I buy fairly often).

My process is going to be this

Claybar
Zaino ZPC polish (on a medium pad)
Blackfire Gloss enhancing polish (on a lighter polishing pad)
Blackfire paint protection sealant (on an even lighter pad)
whatever wax is recommended as the last step

Using a griot's garage random orbital machine and by hand where necessary. The car has light swirls (very light) and a few marks here or there viewable under inspection with a bright point light source, I want to get it back into as good of shape as I can despite any sun-exposure wear and chipping from its tenure in Arizona.

I don't have YB, instead have SBY, but P21S has ended up being my topper giving the car a final wet look. I'm using the 100% carnuba, but experimented with their regular blend (cheaper) and it looked quite good too.

Capt
If not doing any correction, I do this process:
First, Menzerna PO85rd finish polish.
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=321&idcategory=0
Second, Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=333&idcategory=46
Third, Chemical Guys Lava Wax
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=841&idcategory=0
Finally, Chemical Guys V7 Hybrid Sealant/Quick Detailer
https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=331&idcategory=0

This is a fairly inexpensive way to get the yellow to look good. I have tried BFWD and it just didn't work for me. The CG items are synthetic so they are much more heat tolerant than a traditional carnauba wax and will last quite a while longer.

The comment about synthetics makes a good point. Is the OP prioritizing durability or appearance? What kind of appearance does the OP want?

For yellow I'd recommend chemical Guys e-zyme wax it's pretty pricey though. But dodo supernatural gives a great wet deep look that should pull the metallic flake out of your paint.

PeteInCT said:
The Zymol is good but the P21S actually has more carnuba in it and costs less.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever compared both on a SBY Boss? I have. The Concours brings out the color better, in my opinion. I really like the P21S, I just like the Zymol better.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
No offense taken. You did a real world test! I just get a little suspicious of the VERY high prices stuff. Some of it is worth it.

If you want to see my DODO and my chemical guys wax jobs:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/vintage-boss-302-and-351-forum/boss-all-waxed-up/

They are taken with my iphone, but you can gauge enough from them.

LindsayEOD said:
PeteInCT said:
The Zymol is good but the P21S actually has more carnuba in it and costs less.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever compared both on a SBY Boss? I have. The Concours brings out the color better, in my opinion. I really like the P21S, I just like the Zymol better.

Ha, I tried both and like the P21S better. Goes to show you, got to try them yourself to decide for yourself.

captdistraction said:
So I'm trying the p21s.

I spent under $200 and got the buffer, wax, pads, sonax wheel cleaner, leather cleaner, some clay, leather freshener, and a few other items I'm forgetting. So at a minimum budget, I think I did damn well

Be gentle with the buffer, particularly near any stripes.

PeteInCT said:
No offense taken. You did a real world test! I just get a little suspicious of the VERY high prices stuff. Some of it is worth it.
I was VERY skeptical of Zymol as well, but when I finally broke down and applied it, I couldn't have been more impressed. I have a jar of Swissvax Concours at home I need to try too. I used Zymol Carbon on my black GT with great results too and it is a lot cheaper. In the end, it's really personal preference. The only thing that isn't opinion based is heat resistance and longevity. That's where the synthetics really shine ;)

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
askjeffro said:
Be gentle with the buffer, particularly near any stripes.

Will do, I'll be sure to tape any striped surfaces. Unfortunately they had to come off to get some paint work done (Tiger 302S hood, B302 front Grille off AzGT's car), but I'll try to do the correction before replacing them. The new paint work should be in amazing shape, and once the painter gives the the all clear to seal/wax it, I think that's all it will need. The rest of the car will get the polishing and clay treatment.

TMO Supporting Vendors