The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need your Advice - S197 Suspension Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New here and working on good base suspension upgrades, nothing is set. Only planning on 10-15% track time.

I need some expert advice.

07 GT500 560 RWHP

Current list:
BMR Adj. UCA w
BMR LCA's w/ Relo brackets
BMR Adj. Panhard
Eibach Sportlines
MM C&C Plates
Koni Yellows

Thanks in advance.

What issues/concerns do you have with your current setup?

Welcome to TMO!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Yes, this is the current plan. . . Running NT555’s currently.

Thanks

What size 555s? On stock rims?

I'd consider leaving it stock suspension wise at first and getting the widest tires you can fit in the rear on 11"+ wide rims, like APEX or Forgestar. Even if it's for a track-only set.

Maybe just the MM camber plates to start, or the Vorshlag units are lots nicer if that's your only first suspension mod.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I really like Bilstein dampers for the money as they are more durable than Koni Yellows and (to me at least) can better handle higher spring rates. Plus the monotube design and shortened housings make life great for years to come as you don't lose much, if any, bump travel once the car is lowered.

Here's what I would put on the car:

Bilstein Dampers
Vorshlag CC Plates
BMR GT500 Handling Springs
BMR LCA (TCA021 part number)
Whiteline LCA Relo Brackets
BMR Panhard Bar (Poly/Rod combo)

Personally I would leave the stock UCA on for now. Poly isn't the best bushing material to use up there as it can bind pretty easily and you want that third link to articulate as much as possible. Spherical is great, but pretty extreme for a car that will see a lot of street use.

Naturally I will suggest a nice wheel/tire setup, but it really is something that would be incredibly noticeable. The stock wheels on your car are respectable in width at 9.5", but are very heavy. If it's going to be a track-only setup, I would suggest 18x11" at all four corners with 295/40-18 or 305/35-18 tires. If you want something for mixed usage, you can't go wrong with 18x10" squared and some 275/40-18s.

- Cory

FWIW my car has the Metco blower pulley, Steeda intake (which I would prefer one that didn't pull from under the hood because of the heat) Steeda trailing arms and a Metco upper trailing arm, it also has BMR panhard bar and and Ford Performance lowering springs. All that was done prior to me owning it. At some point it's going to get a Ford Performance PHB and a decent cold air intake. other than that it's all stock except for an aftermarket single disc Spec clutch. It has a more aggressive alignment on it but not much as it's just sort of a fun car, although, I have autocrossed it and did pretty well, even with all the blower weight over the nose. A Ford engineer that worked with us and helped design the car wrote the tune for me when he worked with me at Phoenix.
It's just a really great car, but you have to realize the limitations, the Boss 302 will outhandle it, but for a real competent cruiser it is perfect, and it doesn't dump horsepower like a normally aspirated car does in the Appalachian mountains.
...and yes, it can use all the tire you can stuff under it.

Grant 302

FWIW (snip) I have a special tune that you can't have.

:D

Driver mods usually pay back sooner that car mods. After safety related mods.

...and the 'required' GT500 cooling mods. Heat exchanger upgrade and brake ducts. I've seen a few GT500s hit the track for the first time and burp coolant everywhere.

@modernbeat might be able to help. We have three vendors that specialize in suspension, BMR, Vorshlag and Cortex. They are TMO vendors because they all offer quality products and are active with producing winning Mustangs. I recommend you call all of them and see what they have to offer.

Like @Grant 302 suggested you’re going to end up with 18x11 wheels with wide tires so skip the middle part and go straight to where we all end up.

Bilsteins and Ford K springs
Vorshlag camber plates (I'm heavily biased here, as I designed and programmed them)
Whiteline adjustable lower arms with their Max-C bushing
Rear relocation brackets
Adjustable front and rear bars, I prefer Whiteline, particularly their rear bar
Change out the bushings on the front arms, Eibach (I've used many times) or maybe the Global West parts (look good, but haven't used them yet)

That's a setup heavily biased toward street use, and comfortable, but better performing than stock.

I would also recommend a simplified (more street) version of my setup:
- I am basically leaving out my Maximum Motorsports K-member; MM Radiator support beams, MM bumpsteer kit

Maximum Motorsports:

Maximum Motorsports Road and Track Springs (higher spring rate, but not uncomfortable. Initially had BMR springs (found them too soft), better response with MM springs)
Maximum Motorsports Bilstein Dampers (pretty good dampening out of the box - non-adjustable but feels matched to the springs)
Vorshlag Camber Plates (Why? - I preferred a fixed caster setting (3 choices))
Maximum Motorsports Rear Relocation Brackets
Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms
Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Panhard Bar
Maximum Motorsports Adjustable Front Sway Bar and End Links

Check out the link and video (though their list is closer to my setup)

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/DRIVE-Video-Tuner-Car-Shootout.aspx

Grant 302

@modernbeat might be able to help. We have three vendors that specialize in suspension, BMR, Vorshlag and Cortex. They are TMO vendors because they all offer quality products and are active with producing winning Mustangs. I recommend you call all of them and see what they have to offer.

Like @Grant 302 suggested you’re going to end up with 18x11 wheels with wide tires so skip the middle part and go straight to where we all end up.

And on that note...it's exactly why I might recommend to drive the car stock-ish and wait to upgrade to one of the coil over setups from the same vendors listed.

All good suggestions so far.

I track my 09 GT500 as well and I want to emphasize cooling mods. I'm assuming you are stock so apologies if you already upgraded.

First supercharger heat exchanger, you really need to upgrade because the stock system is no where near adequate on the street much less on track. I have the biggest one I can find and the car would still heat soak after 10min, but it doesn't get any worse. Since you just started no need for oil coolers however keep an eye on your engine temp, from my experience engine temps will start to rise and I believe its because the oil is overheating. Lastly, track brakes pads and brake ducts. I cooked my brakes in no time without ducts, the GT500 is nose heavy so keep that in mind.

I track my 09 GT500 as well and I want to emphasize cooling mods. I'm assuming you are stock so apologies if you already upgraded.

First supercharger heat exchanger, you really need to upgrade because the stock system is no where near adequate on the street much less on track. I have the biggest one I can find and the car would still heat soak after 10min, but it doesn't get any worse. Since you just started no need for oil coolers however keep an eye on your engine temp, from my experience engine temps will start to rise and I believe its because the oil is overheating. Lastly, track brakes pads and brake ducts. I cooked my brakes in no time without ducts, the GT500 is nose heavy so keep that in mind.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I’d heard and been warned about the heat issues. Had the exchanger already on the list. . . Will throw the other items in the mix.

Grant 302

255/45R18 FR & 295/40R18 R

Currently stock rims, but have looked at several aftermarket options.

Good call on the Forgestar’s.

Thanks for the insight.

You are most welcome! Wider rims will definitely help. On the stock 9.5", I'd say the 295 tire 'acts' like a 275 or 265 for lateral grip because it's a bit 'pinched' on. Also going 'square' and matching the front and rear sizes, with the appropriate suspension changes to maintain lateral grip 'balance' will greatly improve cornering ability. Plus allow you to rotate front-rear to maximize tread life and wear characteristics.

TMO Supporting Vendors