The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Need Your Opinions/Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Son is turning 21 in February & is antsy about getting a new car. He's been driving a 08 scion TC which he has modded since he got it as his first car 3 yrs ago. His passion now is a 08 M3 that his friend will be willing to sell him in the spring for 32k. He also is now just considering a BRAND NEW Scion FR-S which will run about 30k. He is not a tracker ( like his dad) so I'm sure the Scion would give him all the thrills he needs for less cost (Ins & gas).......more to think about..he inherits the Boss when I'm gone....any insight?

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Steer him toward the FR-S / BRZ. Warranty, lower cost of purchase and ownership. Great handling (with better tires) and supported by the aftermarket without excess cost due to a premium brand name. A $32k note on a 6-year old car will be a little more difficult to secure financing than the new car and the BMW is likely to be due for maintenance/repairs before long. Besides, he has years ahead of him to move up. The FR-S / BRZ will be a fun car right now and he'll have fun modding it. They look pretty good, too.

At 21, he is a (very young) man. Almost an old teenager. ;). If he's looking for advice from his Dad, bless him with it. If he's not, no input needed.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NeuRon said:
Steer him toward the FR-S / BRZ. Warranty, lower cost of purchase and ownership. Great handling (with better tires) and supported by the aftermarket without excess cost due to a premium brand name. A $32k note on a 6-year old car will be a little more difficult to secure financing than the new car and the BMW is likely to be due for maintenance/repairs before long. Besides, he has years ahead of him to move up. The FR-S / BRZ will be a fun car right now and he'll have fun modding it. They look pretty good, too.

Let me just add that upkeep on a BMW is crazy expensive nothing on them is cheap. Not sure about the Scion

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I never had that nice of a car when I was 21…I'm 30 now and if my dad had given me anything like that I would have been grateful. Whatever you get him I'm sure he'll be happy.

Could I suggest something different?

I know you said he doesn't track his car, but a good gift would be to buy him a track event ticket. You guys can attend together, and it'll be a great learning experience about car control. I've noticed that after a track event, my love towards my car would be "revived" (even when I had an automatic corolla). Since, your son has modified his car, I think he would appreciate his current car even more, and learn a few skills while at it. As he learns better car control, then he can move up to a more powerful car in the near future.

I'd hate to say this, but I'm 25 and as much as I'd like to think I'm a responsible person, if I had a powerful car at 21, I would've definitely taken a risk here and there... and gotten myself into trouble, or possibly hurt.

But if you guys don't have a track near by, have you considered mustangs? Maybe wait a bit and grab a new 2014 when the 2015's come out.

However, from your list, I would recommend the FR-S. It's the slower, safer, and more affordable option in the long run. Your son will probably learn RWD control better on the FR-S as a beginner, which was a big learning experience for me when I made the jump from the corolla to the mustang (~$9k worth of damage learning experience! :eek:).

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't recommend buying a used car from a friend.

I wouldn't recommend buying a new car for a 21 year old.

I like the suggestion to get him to the track with you...maybe to Boss Track Attack if you haven't gone already. Or any other school that you could attend together?

Thanks for the thoughts so far..BTW..My son is very mature for his age...has a gym agenda that would make a Marine proud...finances far beyond me at that age & a go getter at every step. I know a performance car can a be dangerous investment for him....as it still is for me... ;)

302BOB said:
I know a performance car can a be dangerous investment for him....as it still is for me... ;)
Quote of the day right there. ;D

I vote the FR-S. Although the BMW will have a higher cost of ownership some of that will be recouped at resale.

And I hope your son doesn't inherit your Boss for a very long time.

I have to go along with the BRZ idea, Bimmers cost a lot to maintain, especially if you have to take it to the dealer, I have one and things start to break after around 6 years and 80k miles. The BRZ seems to be a nice car and gets a lot of praise.

Thinking of utility, the BRZ/FRS is an awful idea. There is no back seat unless you or the people you know that might get into the car are midgets. Also it has rather limited interior space, besides the rear seat.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
The 10 Deadliest Vehicles on the Road

...not a Corvette, Mustang, Porsche, BMW or any other muscle car made the list...

...the list is heavy with "low power" Asian imports...not unlike a Scion FR-S...or cars with even LESS oomph...

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-10-deadliest-vehicles-on-the-road.html/?a=viewall

640px-Chevy_colorado2.jpg

640px-Nissan_Versa.jpg

640px-07_Hyundai_Tiburon.jpg

9163012226_696e9ded5c_z.jpg

640px-07-Kia-Spectra5.jpg

640px-05-07_Nissan_Titan_Extended_Cab.jpg

640px-Chevy_Cobalt_Sedan.jpg

640px-Aveo.jpg

640px-08_Nissan_Titan_Crew_Cab_Montreal.jpg

640px-Nissan_350Z_front_20070914.jpg

My son is 23. He is a full time student in a masters program and part time salesman at a Subaru delaership. He loves Subarus. Drives an Sti and is the "performance consultant" since he knows every factoid down to the brake fluid and has been racing karts for 12 years. If you were to pose this question to him it would be a no-brainer: the new-for-2014 WRX. The BRZ/FRS twins handle great but don't have guts. The new WRX will run circles around the BMW and cost less than all of the above.

65sohc said:
My son is 23. He is a full time student in a masters program and part time salesman at a Subaru delaership. He loves Subarus. Drives an Sti and is the "performance consultant" since he knows every factoid down to the brake fluid and has been racing karts for 12 years. If you were to pose this question to him it would be a no-brainer: the new-for-2014 WRX. The BRZ/FRS twins handle great but don't have guts. The new WRX will run circles around the BMW and cost less than all of the above.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't event get the STI. The basic WRX with 4wd and a street suspension can be had with the same money. The suspension can be upgraded and the turbo can easily be boosted. Why would anyone get the BRZ?

Update... Me & son Went for a test drive in the FRS Sat & he bought it Monday..only stick around. Handles turns like it's on a rail & has plenty of get up & go. But we both know who has the better car... ;)...I think?????

TMO Supporting Vendors