The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NeverWet is available

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jec246

NeverWet is finally for sale at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204216476?productId=204216476&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053#.UcYJLJwfgY6

Some of the videos show a white-ish coating and some don't. I ordered some and will let y'all know which. The link is above if anyone else wants to try it out too.

There is a video on home depot showing what it does. It's a super hydrophobic coating that repels water, dirt, mud, oil, and just about everything.

Edit: It does leave a frosted finish. It says that at the end of the video. Maybe some rims for winter use. hmm.

Post your ideas for what you'd use it for.

Ya, that stuff looks pretty legit. I wanna get some and spray the wheels with it. I wouldn't mind if it turned them a frosted/matte black. Good for the Recaro's and interior too.

It will be interesting to see reviews. I wonder how long it lasts before re-treating is necessary? There's no mention in the video.

Another question, what happens to this stuff's color as it ages? I've seen products like this that turn yellow after a while... Pretty sure people are going to be unhappy with it (like its predecessors) if that is the case.

jec246

Any specific types of surfaces y'all want me to test it on? If I can get that type of surface I can tell you the results.

Yes the wheels!! Id love to have the stuff on the car.. but im scared to try it.. but if you wanna give it a shot ;D.

and what about the windows, that would be great to keep bug splat off during track days!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I really like this. Sucks about the frosted finish. I would like to apply this to the underside of the boss though. Repel the rain and winter.

jec246

reakhavok said:
Yes the wheels!! Id love to have the stuff on the car.. but im scared to try it.. but if you wanna give it a shot ;D.

and what about the windows, that would be great to keep bug splat off during track days!

I won't try it on my car knowing that it might frost eveything. I will however paint some surface and then put it on those surfaces to see how bad the frosting is. I'll try it on some scrap glass to see that. As for the undercarriage that is a purfect use for it. I am very curious to see how long it stays put and working. It's getting delivered today sometime so I will post something in the next couple of days.

As far as for not on the car I will be using it on white/grey shoes, my entire shower. toilet, and bathroom sink. :p

jec246

There are reviews popping up on youtube. Apparently you can't use soap on the surface once it's coated. It does not work with soap. Also, any oil from the surface of your body can reduce the effectivness of the coat, but can be cleaned off and the neverwet surface will be restored.

jec246

Just received my order. I have read the instruction etc.

"Treated surfaces should never be scrubbed with brushes or abrasive cleaners. Treated surfaces will lose superhydrophobic properties if exposed to detergents, soaps, oil, solvents, or high pressure water. Due to the oils in the skin, excessive handling with bare hands of treayed materials can cause a reduction in performance."

Does NeverWet work with all liquids?
"Certain Solvents, alcohols and soap/detergents will cause the surface of the coating to lose superhydrophobicty. Once these chemicals are removed, the superhydrophobicty will generally return. NeverWet is less effective at repelling motor oils and oil based liquid."

No clear answer on how long it lasts in the FAQS. They say it depends on the environment etc...

It can be used on fabric, BUT it will dry with a flat milky haze and will be more noticeable on dark colors. Also, the breath-ability depends on how thick of a coat of NeverWet you put on the item.

It can be put on glass, BUT it will no longer be clear.

So... This is more of the home version they put out. They did say they have a fabric version but it hasn't been released yet. I'm hoping they have an automotive version coming out that repels oils and crap better. Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Well some bad news.

The good news is you can coat you house with it and it'll stay nice and clean. Bricks, siding, concrete(your garage floor/driveway), and even wood.

It can still be used on your rims pretty easily. I wouldn't recommend putting it on the black/dark colored wheels or any high gloss wheels though. I will still be testing some surfaces with it just to get a good feel for what I can use it for.

Joe BOSS said:
Just received my order. I have read the instruction etc.

"Treated surfaces should never be scrubbed with brushes or abrasive cleaners. Treated surfaces will lose superhydrophobic properties if exposed to detergents, soaps, oil, solvents, or high pressure water. Due to the oils in the skin, excessive handling with bare hands of treayed materials can cause a reduction in performance."

Does NeverWet work with all liquids?
"Certain Solvents, alcohols and soap/detergents will cause the surface of the coating to lose superhydrophobicty. Once these chemicals are removed, the superhydrophobicty will generally return. NeverWet is less effective at repelling motor oils and oil based liquid."

No clear answer on how long it lasts in the FAQS. They say it depends on the environment etc...

It can be used on fabric, BUT it will dry with a flat milky haze and will be more noticeable on dark colors. Also, the breath-ability depends on how thick of a coat of NeverWet you put on the item.

It can be put on glass, BUT it will no longer be clear.

So... This is more of the home version they put out. They did say they have a fabric version but it hasn't been released yet. I'm hoping they have an automotive version coming out that repels oils and crap better. Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Well some bad news.

The good news is you can coat you house with it and it'll stay nice and clean. Bricks, siding, concrete(your garage floor/driveway), and even wood.

It can still be used on your rims pretty easily. I wouldn't recommend putting it on the black/dark colored wheels or any high gloss wheels though. I will still be testing some surfaces with it just to get a good feel for what I can use it for.

Thanks for the update. Im still interested in getting this for the house. keep us posted on what other uses you come up with.

Several months back a Co-worker showed me this product before it was being sold by Rust-oleum and the price was uber expensive. I can't recall what exactly, but I know that as much as I liked the videos of what it could do I immediatley gave up on it when I saw the price. I guess with the reduction of cost for the general public, comes with a reduction in quality.

Sounds like they took Scotchgard to another level. I think I may goto Homey's and try it on my part of my deck. Walking on it along with the sun and rain might give a good indication to it's durability.

TMO Supporting Vendors