The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New 12 Boss With Oil Leak WTF! Pic Included Identify Trans or Engine??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well this is my first post so figure id start off with a bang....got my BRAND NEW BOSS last night a 2012 White Beauty....left the dealers at 8pm with the car...on the way home i begin to smell burning oil....figure nahh it cant be me my car has 40 miles on it....well sun is down and now i can see headlights behind me illuminating what looks like grey smoke coming from my car.....im thinkin ok its the brake pads working in so continue driving the car home...no engine light is on car runs and drives pretty good although the tranny is quite notchy and on a couple of stop and goes it was hard to get into first without a distinct clunk and alot of effort...anyway im home and park it in our driveway, walk around the car to all for wheels and think to myself hmmm yep its the brakes, ill let them cool down(from normal driving btw not spirited) so go inside happy to have my new boss in the driveway....come out an hour later and decide imtaking the car around the block for a quick drive...when i get back to park the car where it was i see a nice big spot of OIL....im like WTF...now i know its not the brakes and it was leaking oil from somewhere getting onto the hot undercarriage of the car and causing a smoke storm which was what i saw in my rear view mirror....and come to think of it i also so a good grey cloud of smoke coming from the fron drivers side near the wheel making me think originally that it was just hot brake pads getting seated with the rotors....anyway here is what the oil looked like....

3caf8e5f.jpg

I dont think this is engine oil cuz i wouldnt think it to be that dark after 50 miles......so im thinking its tranny fluid but im not 100%

Car was towed back to dealer this morning at 8am only 12hrs after i picked it up WTF IM PISSED!

Sesshomurai

Try to swipe some on your finger, if its pinkish, its tranny fluid.

^^^^Thx glad to join up, happy to see a Boss specific mustang forum...hoping its nothing major...dealer called me said they think its from the tranny..not sure if their is an over flow or not for the trans...they have a call into the tech hotline to find out weather to pull it apart or to replace....hoping to hear back in the next 24/48hrs....so far my new Boss has been in service for the majority of my 25hrs of ownership....lol

darreng505 said:
was hard to tell as i took it in the dark with my Iphone...id lean towards it being pinkish if i had to choose....i didnt pull the dipstick to check the engine oil but i cant imagine the oil being that discoloured after 50 miles....im leaning towards tranny aswell

Had the same problem with my LS, vent tube opened up as I passed a BMW 3rd to 4th gear shift, looked like I had blown the engine, check the brake reservoir mind was filled to the top.

Everything can have a bug or two, but you will enjoy this Boss.

Go back and search leaks, start reading up on this car, you will learn a lot.

KYBOSSLS said:
Had the same problem with my LS, vent tube opened up as I passed a BMW 3rd to 4th gear shift, looked like I had blown the engine, check the brake reservoir mind was filled to the top.

Everything can have a bug or two, but you will enjoy this Boss.

Go back and search leaks, start reading up on this car, you will learn a lot.
being a boss newb im a bit lost....you said vent tube...is this part of the transmission? if so why would the tranny fluid leak from their or atleast why would it be that bad? also u said the brake reservoir being filled to the top? isnt it suppose to be or is that considered over filled? are the trans fluid and brake resrvoir related in some way....i was driving my car normally never shifting it passed 3600-4000 rpm and mostly around 3k rpm so i cant imagine that can be considered hard enough to result in my smoke show but i dont have any experience with the car yet so it could very well be what you decribe...

darreng505 said:

Did you have ATF in yours? When I changed my trans fluid it was a light golden brown at 1200 miles. Not pink. Not black.

I also have a white Boss. The bottom of the car is pop corn fart dry after 5000 miles, one track weekend. Take it to the dealer it is brand new, any problems fining it will be expedited because it's new, and easier to find new.

Is WTF a new kind of transmission fluid? Is it better than ATF or MTL? My wife wants to know. I was thinking I'd use RedLine MTL, but she is sure that WTF must be better.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The stock trans fluid isnt pink its golden brown and stinks much like gear oil.

I am running REDLINE MTL fluid.

They would have had to crazy over fill it for that size puddle. I would hope they just replace the trans and start with it new or atleast go through it to make sure nothing is ruined inside.

Justin

BossDuke said:
Is WTF a new kind of transmission fluid? Is it better than ATF or MTL? My wife wants to know. I was thinking I'd use RedLine MTL, but she is sure that WTF must be better.
WTF stands for What The F#$K

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I believe the WTF brand fluid post was an attempt to bring some humor into a touchy situation thread.

(sent from my room at the Holiday Inn Express)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Actually, that would be a good name for a brand of fluids. I guess as long as it means "WTF, that stuff is good!". . No one would forget it ;D

Justin

ace72ace said:
I believe the WTF brand fluid post was an attempt to bring some humor into a touchy situation thread.

(sent from my room at the Holiday Inn Express)
I tell you man they need a sarcasim font so things like that dont get taking seriously lol

That's just too easy ::)

It should be a challenge, like trying to figure out what brown fluid is on concrete in a cell phone photo at night ;)

I would not let them open it up if it needs to be opened I'd make ford replace it then they may start being more carefull of what they put out. I have read threads on a couple of trans doing this. Even ford is not perfect but car companies that produce a car like this one should put the extra effort knowing alot of owners of this car are going to run the hell out of it on a track. Ask your dealer if they put wtf trans fluid in it ;D Hey you may be able to leverage this into a few details free durring the year.

got the car back today...basically they said the vent tube was to close to the body or something not allowing the pressure to evacuate or something or other...they positioned it correctly and swapped out and flushed the trsns fluid....i agve my sales guy the ok to tke it for a road test and told them to then find a clean spot on their lot park the car and come back out and look for oil on the ground....he called said he took it out for a 10-15 mile drive came back parked it no spots no fumes and no smoke so all is good.....happy it was something dumb!

Justin

jeepinocala said:
I would not let them open it up if it needs to be opened I'd make ford replace it then they may start being more carefull of what they put out. I have read threads on a couple of trans doing this. Even ford is not perfect but car companies that produce a car like this one should put the extra effort knowing alot of owners of this car are going to run the hell out of it on a track. Ask your dealer if they put wtf trans fluid in it ;D Hey you may be able to leverage this into a few details free durring the year.
dealer detail.....thats like saying military intelligence. I would probably get better results handing a group of 7 year olds some car soap, wax and a hose and saying have at it.

have you ever seen how they wash cars at most all dealers? with a....sponge in the high noon sun and let it air dry and then wonder why things like delicate vinyl decals look 20 years old and swirled up with water spots all over them on a brand new car.

long story short dealers are the last place I would recommend to get a car "detailed"

TMO Supporting Vendors