The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New 200 TWR tire coming out from Continental -- with some Hoosier DNA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have not seen the news posted anywhere , but there will be some new rubber coming out from the new marriage of Continental and Hoosier. The plus is that is is geared to the HPDE/ Time Trial/ etc. crowd a bit more than the Coneheads of Pylondom ( heh, I can say that cuz I do luv me some auto crossing ). With choices in some mega wide widths and a tire that should not get greasy as quick as many others ( like the A052 for example ) , this should be another solid road course choice for the Mustang Track Addict. At present I only know of TrackDayTire.com as the main source of this new addition to the Competition 200 Treadwear Rated Wars, but since most of the sizes will be coming out late Spring or the Summer, it is also likely that TireRack ( TMO gets a little help when you order there )may be on the list. I wanted to drop this note out there, though, because Trackdaytire.com is the Official NASA tire supplier and so they may get these in before some other sources.

Looking good for 2020 as it appears we may have a 200 Treadwear Tire coming from Kumho ( thanks to info from Dave_W ) , now another from Continental. Add to these the A052s, Falken R660s, BFG Rival S 1.5s, and there are more and more options for those wanting some wide rubber.

PS - note on the new Continentals with Hoosier DNA , they kind of look like a bit like a RE71R --- can you say hmmmmmm!! PSPS - they have tires super wide coming , for Vipers, Vettes , and Mustangs in both 18s and 19s ( think as wide as 345 ).

In the V6L
....PSPS - they have tires super wide coming , for Vipers, Vettes , and Mustangs in both 18s and 19s ( think as wide as 345 ).
From the announcement I saw, the wide ones will be ready just in time for the winter track day season... oh, wait, there isn't a winter track day season... sorry...

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, cmon Blacksheep, are you really worried about us poor souls in the Midwest since you live in " I can race all year round Florida ?" Heck, my last race in the Heartland is the week before Halloween , so with many of them wide glides coming out in early July to early September , some folks will still get a little use outa them. As the Tire Guru in Gatorland, let us know all you can, as I was just reporting the news , whereas with your long friendship with the Hoosier Engineers you might be able to give the members some inside scoops on their track prowess. All I heard from my friends was they were more geared to the track than the autocross , though good for both. It would be important if you could confirm that as we have a lot of Hoosier devotees on this Forum and the blending of each companies prior focus is said to have made this tire a union of street and track to be reckoned with?!

Oh, cmon Blacksheep, are you really worried about us poor souls in the Midwest since you live in " I can race all year round Florida ?" Heck, my last race in the Heartland is the week before Halloween , so with many of them wide glides coming out in early July to early September , some folks will still get a little use outa them. As the Tire Guru in Gatorland, let us know all you can, as I was just reporting the news , whereas with your long friendship with the Hoosier Engineers you might be able to give the members some inside scoops on their track prowess. All I heard from my friends was they were more geared to the track than the autocross , though good for both. It would be important if you could confirm that as we have a lot of Hoosier devotees on this Forum and the blending of each companies prior focus is said to have made this tire a union of street and track to be reckoned with?!

OK, let me work on it.. where did you hear this "rumor"?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
sfo
Spec corvette 200TWR tire is $1000/set. The new conti/hoohoo is about $1600/set. It is only 100 bucks difference to run the shorter lasting but much faster A7 hoo hoo. The new conti seems expensive to me but I do not run 200TWR tires.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I knew about Phil's and there are others, so that answers Blacksheep's question a little bit about some " rumors." The individual who mentioned the new Contis were a bit more track oriented than autocross based did not mention I could use his name. In my lexicon of acquired information I only fully repeat individuals who state I can use their name.

I really like TrackdayTire.com because I watched Johnny Miller race in TransAm years back, know some folks who raced with him and he is laid back, fun, Tennessee boy! The big plus for many of us is you can sign up for Sponsorship with him if you race in NASA ( essentially discounts ) since his Company is the " Official Tire Supplier " of NASA. Not sure if there will be a program with the new tire, but there are Sponsored driver discounts or price matching currently. Sponsored driver discounts or Toyo Tire Bucks are available to those running HPDE's with NASA and that is a huge benefit to those beginning to track.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I knew about Phil's and there are others, so that answers Blacksheep's question a little bit about some " rumors." The individual who mentioned the new Contis were a bit more track oriented than autocross based did not mention I could use his name. In my lexicon of acquired information I only fully repeat individuals who state I can use their name.

I really like TrackdayTire.com because I watched Johnny Miller race in TransAm years back, know some folks who raced with him and he is laid back, fun, Tennessee boy! The big plus for many of us is you can sign up for Sponsorship with him if you race in NASA ( essentially discounts ) since his Company is the " Official Tire Supplier " of NASA. Not sure if there will be a program with the new tire, but there are Sponsored driver discounts or price matching currently. Sponsored driver discounts or Toyo Tire Bucks are available to those running HPDE's with NASA and that is a huge benefit to those beginning to track.
TrackdayTire.com is allowing “reservations” on these now. I’m in line for the 315/30-18’s, which should hit early July and not too long after the new 18” SM10 APEX wheels arrive in June.

https://trackdaytire.com/continentalpreorder/

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Congrats, I think alot of folks will expect big things from the DNA in this tire ---- kind of has that look of a BridgeRock RE71R, hmmm.

I find a little humor in the fact that the new Falken and the Hoosiernental both appear to have a similar tread pattern as the RE71R, yet the prior Overdog has left the yard and doesn't want to play anymore!

That's why southern race cars always look beat, the northerners (we still call them yankees) come down in the spring for the start of the season and all of their stuff is absolutely beautiful, that's because they had a few months to go through their equipment, that doesn't happen down here. The really fast guys the just build new cars and cycle them in. Sort of works into the whole southeastern redneck motif that we are proud of ..lol

Reutimann's "mud bus" as we call them.
1619704877137.png
Dick Anderson
(1619704548305.png

Jim Childers
1619704788140.png

you guys probably don't know these guys but on the short tracks, they are all legendary drivers.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hmmm, I was born in Florida and weren't you born in Arkansas Blacksheep? Would that make me more of a Southern Redneck than you or are you also happy to go by the moniker of a Midwestern Mustang Maniac?!

TMO Supporting Vendors