The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New adjustable front lower arms from SPL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
1614804890831.png

New offering from SPL for the GT350. Thoughts on these? My first thought was these are for camber adjustment, but then I couldn't figure out how they wouldn't screw up geometry. A camber plate/concentric bolt just tilts the tire at a pivot point. However, this would appear to push the knuckle from the bottom - but that will physically move the entire knuckle either further or closer to the frame. Additionally, since there's a second control arm behind this one, I'd assume the knuckle has to pivot around that (pushing outwards would push the knuckle back and tightening would pull it forward).

Assuming I'm not smoking something, what would these be used for?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
View attachment 63137

New offering from SPL for the GT350. Thoughts on these? My first thought was these are for camber adjustment, but then I couldn't figure out how they wouldn't screw up geometry. A camber plate/concentric bolt just tilts the tire at a pivot point. However, this would appear to push the knuckle from the bottom - but that will physically move the entire knuckle either further or closer to the frame. Additionally, since there's a second control arm behind this one, I'd assume the knuckle has to pivot around that (pushing outwards would push the knuckle back and tightening would pull it forward).

Track width adjustments?

TX
Track width adjustments?

Can you adjust track width without completely messing up geometry, though? Wouldn't this change the relative position in the wheel well (front to back) and mess with caster, etc.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Can you adjust track width without completely messing up geometry, though? Wouldn't this change the relative position in the wheel well (front to back) and mess with caster, etc.

Going off memory (since I don’t have an S550) - aren’t these control arms running East-West, so making them longer would widen track width, and then the tension rods would have to be adjusted to maintain the same caster? Again, more questions than answers from me - I just know that adjustable track width is pretty common on race car tuning.

TX
Ahhh, so I went to find you a picture, but it looks like Terry has these on his site. In his pics, it shows a second SPL arm with adjustment capabilities. In typical fashion, Terry's site is more clear than the OEM. So, assuming you have both, you could adjust as needed.

1614807764536.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Ahhh, so I went to find you a picture, but it looks like Terry has these on his site. In his pics, it shows a second SPL arm with adjustment capabilities. In typical fashion, Terry's site is more clear than the OEM. So, assuming you have both, you could adjust as needed.

View attachment 63138
Picture is worth 1000 words!! That 2nd adjustable arm is what I was referring to as a tension rod - not sure if that’s the right term or not.

If you’re not making caster adjustment in the strut hat/camber plate then the tension arm is the other way you would do that.

This adjustable LCA will change track width, camber, and steering angle inclination if you want to. Along with an adjustable length tension arm you can change some mechanics of the steering and I believe anti-dive characteristics.

Last edited:
View attachment 63137

theyre not new, ive had them in my basement for over 6 months. You need to get the adjustable tension arm too so your caster is adjusted along with camber.

these are much better imho because instead if cutting the strut towers, it swings the lowers out more so wider stance.

URW is currently putting the full spl and full tilt catolog on my shelby. Should be done soon

edit: if you are keeping your magna ride you need to ask turner in tech support to send you the brackets for the sensors

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I don't have a GT350, but I have an s550 and got both the lower control arm and the torsion rod. In the hands of an expert, allowed me to get the suspension geometry worked out, and it's a night and day difference between what it was, and what it now is. Also ended up shaving about 20 pounds from the front end.

I swapped in both, but understand the challenges had you done just one.

I don't have a GT350, but I have an s550 and got both the lower control arm and the torsion rod. In the hands of an expert, allowed me to get the suspension geometry worked out, and it's a night and day difference between what it was, and what it now is. Also ended up shaving about 20 pounds from the front end.

I swapped in both, but understand the challenges had you done just one.
I think its best to do both

Has anyone mounted these on a GT350 and if so how did you mount the ride height sensors? Thanks
Theres holes on the spl to mount. If you are keeping magnaride ask turner in tech support and he’ll ship out the brackets

13E7B743-EBC5-485F-A87A-1C9F801278B5.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
TX
Had SPL stuff on my 911. These are worth every penny. The LCA + Tension arms give you camber, caster, toe, and track width adjustments. I am planning on getting both for my gt350 this year. In case you did not know SPL is local to us in the Austin area.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
san jose ca
Hi everyone. First post on here. My current issue is the bolt that goes into the knuckle is too big. The bolt i got in this kit is different from the pictures they have on their website. I did double check to make sure i got the correct kit. The installation instructions diagram also show the bolt I got with the kit. Did you have to drill out the hole a little bit? If anybody could chime in that would be great. I have a alignment appointment later on today. I might have to cancel if i cant get this installed today.

IMG_0755 (1).jpg

spl.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel