The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New ( almost) GT 18 owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everybody,
I'd like tointroduce my self in this amazing forum.
My name is Alessandro, I move recently in the bay area from Italy.
So my passion to fast cars came with genetics :)
I drove all my life European cars so when I moved here the "myth of muscle cars" became predominant .
I owned a Challegnger Scat Pack for 2 years. and I m now waiting for my Mustang GT 18 pp1 (10 speed , ) with some updates from day 1 ( LEBANON FORD guys.) as a whipple 3liters.
I'm expecting the car in a month .

I'd like to tell you you are the best track dedicated forum I've ever seen.

Glad and honored to be part of this.

I see you all arorund :)

Hello everybody,
I'd like tointroduce my self in this amazing forum.
My name is Alessandro, I move recently in the bay area from Italy.
So my passion to fast cars came with genetics [emoji4]
I drove all my life European cars so when I moved here the "myth of muscle cars" became predominant .
I owned a Challegnger Scat Pack for 2 years. and I m now waiting for my Mustang GT 18 pp1 (10 speed , ) with some updates from day 1 ( LEBANON FORD guys.) as a whipple 3liters.
I'm expecting the car in a month .

I'd like to tell you you are the best track dedicated forum I've ever seen.

Glad and honored to be part of this.

I see you all arorund :)

Welcome and congratulations!
Make sure you install billet oil pump gears and timing sprocket if you install the blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TMO and thanks for the compliment. What @8250RPM is saying is you should upgrade the oil pump gear to a billet one. The stock gear will not be sufficient with a couple of hundred extra HP. If it's already been upgraded then you're good to go. Post some photos of the car when you receive it.

Welcome to TMO and thanks for the compliment. What @8250RPM is saying is you should upgrade the oil pump gear to a billet one. The stock gear will not be sufficient with a couple of hundred extra HP. If it's already been upgraded then you're good to go. Post some photos of the car when you receive it.

Thanks voodoo
Yes. Upgrade Oil pump also will be installed.
I will definetely post some pics
I also spoke with APEX (in Pleasanton,Ca 20min from my home) for track wheels dedicated. I'll go with 19x11.
Once I get the car I would need some info about best spacer, new studs, camber plate etc.

I hope to see you at some trackdays!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thanks voodoo
Yes. Upgrade Oil pump also will be installed.
I will definetely post some pics
I also spoke with APEX (in Pleasanton,Ca 20min from my home) for track wheels dedicated. I'll go with 19x11.
Once I get the car I would need some info about best spacer, new studs, camber plate etc.

I hope to see you at some trackdays!

You also need to replace the crank timing gear.

Great. How much experience do you have tracking cars? The reason I ask is for road course work many Mustang owners do suspension, brakes and tires/wheels before adding that much power.
Yes. I'm aware of that :)
The 800 hp was more an "offer " i couldn't resist.

I do have some experience on track between here and italy.
but I'm a definetely an amateur with the passion of nice cars.

My gameplan is

June 16. Laguna with stock car. To have a baseline and (try to)understand the limits of this mustang

Then
1. Bigger wheels dedicated to track(19x11)tires. 305 squared. (Probably nt01)
2. Pads. I do have the 6piston in the front. I love carbotech (i had them in the challenger xp10 and xp8) ? They are loud for daily drive but awesome on the track( for some reason i don't see many people using them on mustang..)

3. Suspension will come later. I need to "know" the car to understamd where or how I'd like the ride.
3. Aero. Probably front splitter and a wing in the back.
4. And then sky is the limit right?

But I'm definetely open for advice

I'm not sure what your offer is with the SC but I'd be cautious going that route up front. The SC adds weight in the wrong place and will not enhance the handling of your car. A stock Mustang GT PP with the proper brake pads with 18x11's and sticky 305 width tires is quite capable of punching way above it's weight and can hang with Porsche's and other track focused cars. The Carbotech pads are quite popular on Mustangs as are G-Loc. @OPMustang Tim and @steveespo have experience with the S550 GT's and can probably provide better advice than me. While possibly not as quick in a straight line the stock Mustang GT should be able to outperform your Scat Pack on a road course.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Flyhalf.

Welcome and congrats on the new ride.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Brakes are usually a first area to modify. With the extra HP you have planned, your brakes should be “challenged”. Better pads and cooling will likely be needed. I have no experience with the new 10 speed. Unsure if you will have much engine braking. Also something to watch.
Dont overlook safety mods. A good helmet, gloves and a harness are a good start.
Enjoy the new mount

Tmsboss
Thanks.
Definetely yes. Safety first.

Solid helmet new gloves on the way and actually I'm planning some collar. I personally believe the collar (is it the right name in english ?) or similar should be an obbligation for everybody especially because helmet adds weight and in a crash the forces are bigger with it.
(Played rugby football and now I'm working in the spine business so maybe I'm over conscious. ;))
I forgot to mention that another upgrade that I plane is a dedicated track seat.

Voodoo I'm agree with you however this car is not 100% dedicated to the track but also for the weekend. And show some power sometime is worth it especially for an average italian living the american (big muscle) dream.

I hope to do better than the challenger( 4400 lbs were hard to run around!) .
I'd lime to run with some of you soon.
Hopefully it will happen in a month.

Yes. I'm aware of that :)
The 800 hp was more an "offer " i couldn't resist.

I do have some experience on track between here and italy.
but I'm a definetely an amateur with the passion of nice cars.

My gameplan is

June 16. Laguna with stock car. To have a baseline and (try to)understand the limits of this mustang

Then
1. Bigger wheels dedicated to track(19x11)tires. 305 squared. (Probably nt01)
2. Pads. I do have the 6piston in the front. I love carbotech (i had them in the challenger xp10 and xp8) ? They are loud for daily drive but awesome on the track( for some reason i don't see many people using them on mustang..)

3. Suspension will come later. I need to "know" the car to understamd where or how I'd like the ride.
3. Aero. Probably front splitter and a wing in the back.
4. And then sky is the limit right?

But I'm definetely open for advice

I’d also skip the supercharger and focus on weight reduction and driver skill.
That blower is going to make a nose heavy car heavier, add more heat and raise the center of gravity.

Id add safety add ons, Watson roll bar and harnesses at minimum. Possibly race seats.

I removed nearly 220 pounds from my car and that’s not even gutting it. The only give away would be the seats. Still has full interior.
But I also have Forgeline wheels and AP brakes.

Suspension wise...
Keep your money and don’t buy the aftermarket rear vertical links, toe links or camber links.
Just swap the oem toe bushing to a ford performance or full tilt boogie bearing.

If you plan on doing a lot of rear toe and camber adjustments I’d get full tilt boogie rear camber links that are adjustable. They are the best ones out there so far. They are made of steel and not aluminum so no worry of the threads pulling out.

All the rear toe links are about the same from all aftermarket suppliers.

The oem allows adjustments with the stock arms but it’s a pain to adjust rear camber by yourself.

If you plan on “set it and forget it” alignment just keep the stock pieces.

Depending on your preference concerning NVH I would add front and rear control arm bearings, camber plates, rear adjustable toe links, rear cradle lock out from BMR or ford performance IRS and differential bushings.

At least one front and one rear adjustable sway bar end link on each side.

If you have the magneride I’d swap the springs and both sway bars for the OEM ford GT350R springs and bars front and rear.

Very first thing I’d do is a more aggressive alignment over stock.

I’d also skip the supercharger and focus on weight reduction and driver skill.
That blower is going to make a nose heavy car heavier, add more heat and raise the center of gravity.

Id add safety add ons, Watson roll bar and harnesses at minimum. Possibly race seats.

I removed nearly 220 pounds from my car and that’s not even gutting it. The only give away would be the seats. Still has full interior.
But I also have Forgeline wheels and AP brakes.

Suspension wise...
Keep your money and don’t buy the aftermarket rear vertical links, toe links or camber links.
Just swap the oem toe bushing to a ford performance or full tilt boogie bearing.

If you plan on doing a lot of rear toe and camber adjustments I’d get full tilt boogie rear camber links that are adjustable. They are the best ones out there so far. They are made of steel and not aluminum so no worry of the threads pulling out.

All the rear toe links are about the same from all aftermarket suppliers.

The oem allows adjustments with the stock arms but it’s a pain to adjust rear camber by yourself.

If you plan on “set it and forget it” alignment just keep the stock pieces.

Depending on your preference concerning NVH I would add front and rear control arm bearings, camber plates, rear adjustable toe links, rear cradle lock out from BMR or ford performance IRS and differential bushings.

At least one front and one rear adjustable sway bar end link on each side.

If you have the magneride I’d swap the springs and both sway bars for the OEM ford GT350R springs and bars front and rear.

Very first thing I’d do is a more aggressive alignment over stock.

Awesome.
Very precious advice.

Couple of questions

1. Can u seat people on the back( including my 7yo son) with a cage?

2. Sway bars. Does the PP come with sway bars already?

No magnaride here. I tought it wasn't worth it if u would plan to change suspension in the future.

Supercharger is already there.
So around 100lbs more. On a 3650 that means 2-3% more weight for a 50% hp gain.
I'm plannin apex bigger wheel (but 10lbs less each) that compensate the extra weight of the tires(bigger)

Question

Anyone installed a lighter lithium battery? We are talking about 20 30 lbs reduction. Just for this.

Fly

Awesome.
Very precious advice.

Couple of questions

1. Can u seat people on the back( including my 7yo son) with a cage?

2. Sway bars. Does the PP come with sway bars already?

No magnaride here. I tought it wasn't worth it if u would plan to change suspension in the future.

Supercharger is already there.
So around 100lbs more. On a 3650 that means 2-3% more weight for a 50% hp gain.
I'm plannin apex bigger wheel (but 10lbs less each) that compensate the extra weight of the tires(bigger)

Question

Anyone installed a lighter lithium battery? We are talking about 20 30 lbs reduction. Just for this.

Fly

1) seating someone in the back seat would be difficult and unsafe.

2) yes it has sway bars already.

Magneride is very good. Even better with a dsc tuner. The dsc allows one to make adjustments to a otherwise non adjustable damper.
Magneride is the way to go.
But since you don’t have it you have many great options available in oem style and coil overs.

These cars like a square tire set up as you already mentioned.

Antigravity and Braille make great light weight batteries.
But not so great that I’d use one on a daily driver with stereo and electronic upgrades.

While we are here talking.
What about half shaft?
I've heard they tend to brake easy especially with more power.
Do you have any news on that(with a 10speed)?

Depends on a few factors.
1) tires used
2) type of racing. Road, auto cross, drag racing.
3) if drag racing it depends on launch RPM
4) the automatic will put less shock to the axle at launch compared to a manual.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel