The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Axle Backs Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the Boss, I am a Corsa Extreme fan. I just put those on my CO Boss and love them. No drone at all, very light, high quality, and super aggressive when you mash the gas.

I am a huge Borla fan too, love the ATAK's, but think they fit the GT500's better than the Boss.

Roush Extremes have a good price point and sound great too.

There's an exhaust thread here on the forums...

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/exhaust/

BossTXB said:
For the Boss, I am a Corsa Extreme fan. I just put those on my CO Boss and love them. No drone at all, very light, high quality, and super aggressive when you mash the gas.

I am a huge Borla fan too, love the ATAK's, but think they fit the GT500's better than the Boss.

Roush Extremes have a good price point and sound great too.

There's an exhaust thread here on the forums...

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/exhaust/

thanks for the info/link.

The Roush's will be louder but I think the ATAKs have a better sound. Not as raspy as the Roush's. However, the price difference is significant. IMO Borla's quality is better too.

Know what you mean. I listened to all that youtube stuff plus all the clips from the after market sites. Finally narrowed it down to Roush and the GT500's. Went with the 500's and am happy with the choice.

I'm trying to decide between the GT500 and the Loudmouth. The GT500 sounds more like a classic muscle V8, but the Coyotes don't really sound like an old school V8 and the Loudmouth goes better with the new sound, at least in the video. If I could hear one in real life I would be able to make up my mind.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp-lm-axleback-11gt.html

Sesshomurai

Just installed the gt500s couple days ago and havent stopped grinning since.

I have the Roush and really like them. They sound good, have a nice tone but quiet when cruising. The stockers weighed 24 pounds and the new ones 10.4 so pretty good chunk lighter.

I have to agree with TXBossB. Corsa Xtreme was my choice and I am very happy. It turns heads when you are on the throttle but can also get you through the subdivision with out pissing off the neigbors. LOL It is a bit pricier than some of the other options but it is made in the USA. Great company---I sent them an email and they sent me some nice Corsa swag. ;D. Installed in 30 minutes with no issues. Fit like a glove.

Do the GT500 mufflers do a good job of balancing the sound when the sidepipe plates are removed or changed??

I originally removed the plates completely, sounded good but all the noise was outside my window. Put in 3/4 plates and it still seems as loud just less under my ear. I'd like to move some of that noise to the rear.

2012Boss302 said:
Do the GT500 mufflers do a good job of balancing the sound when the sidepipe plates are removed or changed??

I originally removed the plates completely, sounded good but all the noise was outside my window. Put in 3/4 plates and it still seems as loud just less under my ear. I'd like to move some of that noise to the rear.
The more you open up the back the less comes out of the side pipes so any more open muffler will accomplish that.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
2012Boss302 said:

the magnaflow comp cat back did just that on my boss. I had GT500 mufflers prior to that

I actually bought Justin's old gt500's and love them, great sound/tone for a great price. If I was better suited to spend more money though, the Borla S-types would be on there.

SOCOMech said:
I actually bought Justin's old gt500's and love them, great sound/tone for a great price. If I was better suited to spend more money though, the Borla S-types would be on there.

how do you think they would sound with a set of long tubes and not cats?

steve

GT-500's & 3/4" restrictor plates on mine & a perfect balance for me.
Plus, the price of the GT-500's are a bargain for Mustang axle-backs these days.

Steve, gonna be loud with LT's & no cats. If you have the stock mufflers, you may want to give those a try. The GT-500's should be O.K. as well, but you will want a chambered muffler with headers & no cats, otherwise it will sound like crap & be waaay too loud.
Had LT's, O/R H & GTA's on my 06 GT for about 5 yrs. Didn't actually realize how loud it was until I got the Boss.

I appreciate all the info/advice.

I'm going on vacation Monday, so it will be a couple of weeks before final decision. That means I'll probably change my mind a few more times!!!

Anyway, as of tonight, I'm really leaning towards the MRT Interceptor Axle Backs with the Performance H pipe.

TMO Supporting Vendors