The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Boss 302 Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for posting the pics!

I'm already planning/plotting my upgrades. Gotta lie low for awhile first. After buying this the household CFO is on the warpath!

First up will be the JHR clutch line and MGW shifter. Followed very shortly by the official Ford sat radio add on and some upgraded speakers. After that, who knows? Although the 302S hood and LS splitter and wing are all calling my name.

Not to bring up what is obviously a touchy subject in some forums, but what are the early reports on the 2013 trannys? Anybody heard anything? Mine does seem a little notchy but my last stick was a 1995 Miata so my memory of feel might not be a fair comparison.

CPTMac689 said:
Just went for my first real drive this morning. Holy crap, this thing is stupid fast!

Pedro, I am in Orlando too. Up in Lake Mary/Heathrow.

Shawn

Hi Shawn. I live right behind UCF.... Maybe we can meet at the next Mid Florida Mustang Club "Cruise In". They meet the 1st Saturday of every month next to the Bob Evans Rest' in Casselberry on Semoran Blvd. (by the Sam's Club) at 6:30PM. Two GHIG's are better than one :) For the most part, I get a lot of kudos on the color.

Regards, Pedro.

CPTMac689 said:
Not to bring up what is obviously a touchy subject in some forums, but what are the early reports on the 2013 trannys? Anybody heard anything? Mine does seem a little notchy but my last stick was a 1995 Miata so my memory of feel might not be a fair comparison.

Welcome and congratulations! Saw my first live GHIG Boss in person when I got my free oil change at the dealership I bought the car at today. The gray stripes are neat!

A few members are getting the clutch sticking to the floor and some are getting lockouts. I haven't noticed either at 1300 miles but I haven't taken it to a road course yet, just autocrosses and some spirited driving during on/off ramps (I'm irritated when people say they run their car "hard" on the street, what does that even mean?) As a preventative measure I got the JHR high volume clutch line.

Thanks for the compliments. I took the photos with my good camera and then spent some time color correcting them in order to get photos that actually show what it looks like. It's tough to find a good photo of the GHIG Boss.

Pedro, I think I will show up next week. Should be cool.

Shawn

First wash today. Paint and stripes all good. Glad not to find any unexpected "aw shits". So far only issue is the metal "POWERED BY FORD" inset in the driver side doorsill is not staying stuck down. Dealer already ordered replacement.

Removed the exhaust restrictors last week. Holy crap! Loud, but NICE! Thinking I will go with a little more open muffler to move some of the sound from the side to the rear and it'll be just about perfect.

Loving this thing more everyday!

Shawn

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Nice!! I was SO close to getting a GHIG.... Wife thought it was a bit flashy-- and I thought that was entirely the point. Good work on the pics, and welcome.

So, after 8 days, and around 350 miles, the early impressions are...

This car is freakin' awesome! It pulls like a freight train and handles amazingly well considering the weight and price point. Plus, it's GREEN!!! Overall, I'm very happy. However, I am so far unimpressed with the transmission. As long as I shift fairly deliberately it seems to be alright. However, even when going slow I still feel a "catch" going into 3rd fairly often. 2nd and 4th also do it but not as often. If I try to really mow through the gears, all bets are off. It doesn't miss gears but definitely requires some force and feels like there are rocks in the shifter.

Pedro,

I'm hoping to go to the next Mid-Florida Mustang meet. I know you've got the same car as I so I was hoping to let you take a quick spin and give me your thoughts in comparison to yours. I'm trying to decide if it's "wrong" and in need of dealer attention, or if it's just a tranny that is not as good as the car deserves but not in need of "repair". My guess is it is the latter. My next decision will be whether to spend $500 on shifters, clutch lines, etc... or just to live with it and put the $500 towards the inevitable Magnum XL swap.

However, just to be clear that I am not unhappy with my purchase, I'll say it again...

THIS CAR IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

Shawn

CPTMac689 said:
Pedro,

I'm hoping to go to the next Mid-Florida Mustang meet. I know you've got the same car as I so I was hoping to let you take a quick spin and give me your thoughts in comparison to yours. I'm trying to decide if it's "wrong" and in need of dealer attention, or if it's just a tranny that is not as good as the car deserves but not in need of "repair". My guess is it is the latter. My next decision will be whether to spend $500 on shifters, clutch lines, etc... or just to live with it and put the $500 towards the inevitable Magnum XL swap.

However, just to be clear that I am not unhappy with my purchase, I'll say it again...

THIS CAR IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!

Shawn

Hi Shawn. Sounds like you are enjoying your Boss ;). I'm almost embarrassed to say I've had mine for two months now and barely have 835 miles on it. More to do with my racing schedule and some house renovations than the lack of desire to drive Cricket, as my wife baptized it. I agree with the shifter issues. They really are a nuisance. Just yesterday I was merging in traffice on Univ Blvd, ran the car up to about 6k rpms and managed to go into 5th instead of 3rd. Pretty embarrassing to say the least with traffic looking on ::)

The next meeting of the Mid FL Mustang Club is Saturday, August 4th. I've been attending these for the last few years, on and off, with my son in law Jon Boyles who is a "Ford Guy" (2012 RR GT Premium, 1972 Pinto, 1968 Fairlane). He is also a Service Advisor at Don Reid Ford and can probably help you with any issues. I'll probably end of doing some/many of the mods mentioned on the Forum but for now I've only installed a rear Boss 302 decal in the rear and purchased a set of regular Mustang floor mats so I can preserve the original Boss mats for posterity and "special occasions".

DSCN1301%20-%20Copy%20%28640x480%29.jpg

I agree, these cars are awesome, accelerate your heart beat, and put a smile on your face - all the time!

See you in August.......Pedro.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel