The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

new boss buyers best advice before you leave the dealer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My only chip was there from the dealer, and looks like they tried to fill it with whiteout. Best advice is look your car over really, really well.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I don't know what is up with Ford's paint formula, but my wife's hood has at least dozen chips in it. I really don't want to clear bra the ENTIRE F'N hood but if you don't you are guaran-frikkin-teed to get a chip less than an inch from where the bra stops and your naked paint is.

I guess the only precaution is to make sure you are on the only one on the road, or leave a crazy amount of distance between your car and traffic ahead...?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
I don't know what is up with Ford's paint formula, but my wife's hood has at least dozen chips in it. I really don't want to clear bra the ENTIRE F'N hood but if you don't you are guaran-frikkin-teed to get a chip less than an inch from where the bra stops and your naked paint is.

I guess the only precaution is to make sure you are on the only one on the road, or leave a crazy amount of distance between your car and traffic ahead...?
yeah thats impossible on the roads here in norfolk/vabeach. the one on the windshield I head its was a nice "crack" sound kinda made me want to puke a little

In addition to some type of clear bra, I highly recommend going through the entire PDI checkilst. Make sure you have them go through the entire pre-delivery checklist and show it to you.

Window sticker - in one piece and saved.
No drilling holes for plates
Check lug nuts
Check oil
Check A/C
Check heater
Check tire pressure
Check VIN number against contract and make sure license tag is snug and matches.
Check everything....

I found a PDI for Boss and Laguna but cannot post it. Says upload file folder is full.

Some people told me that the downside of a ClearBra is that it protects so good that if you have it on for several years and then take it off, you'll actually see the difference on the paint, which looks arguably crappier than having the paint be the same everywhere but with some chips. Since the ClearBra also makes the stripe looks half matte, half gloss I'm still on the fence on whether I want to put one on or not...

ace72ace

Not gonna do my hood, but will do the door sills and the taillights and panel.

BossTXB said:
I found a PDI for Boss and Laguna but cannot post it. Says upload file folder is full.

You can't host files here, you need to do it somewhere else then link it. I use photobucket, but they will not let you upload PDFs if that is the format it is in.

Marco, that is why you do the entire car. Then it is all the same color when it comes off.

ace72ace

Hope you have an OEM stripe kit to replace what's left of them after removing clear bra that's been on for years...

I am taking my car in tomorrow to the yep chevy dealer they are the best here from what I have herd that part sucks but anyway I am haveing them fix the chips detail the car to make sure there are no more chips then it is going straight to my house to have clear bra I am only going to put it on the face of the bumper and side parts before the front tires I may cut a piece for each are behind the rear wheels and try and make it look like a rock guard spot and I purchased a bug deflectore for the hood I may put a strip on the hood but it will only be around a foot up then I give up. Wonder how the new mustang front ends are going to do? No I dont want one just curious.

I used to assemble CVPI's into actual police cars and when we got fresh cars, the paint was very, very soft(and thin). It was really easy to damage, and even though you were drilling all kind of holes in the body, no one was happy when their paint gets all scratched up.

What does it cost to clear bra an entire car?

Sesshomurai

*speaking to no one in particular*

bras are gay. Chips are facts of life. Just get a touch up paint marker from the service dept. and if the chips really bother you down the road, repaint the front.

Have you ever seen a bra on a ferrari, lamborghini, etc? no. cuz they look dumb. its a big advertisement of lameness and fear of the elements.

race on. no fear.

jeepinocala said:
Get a clear bra put on the front of your car IS going to chip and other spots but the front gets chips very fast.

Sesshomurai said:
*speaking to no one in particular*

bras are gay. Chips are facts of life. Just get a touch up paint marker from the service dept. and if the chips really bother you down the road, repaint the front.

Have you ever seen a bra on a ferrari, lamborghini, etc? no. cuz they look dumb. its a big advertisement of lameness and fear of the elements.

race on. no fear.

jeepinocala said:
Get a clear bra put on the front of your car IS going to chip and other spots but the front gets chips very fast.

I dont think you even know what we are talking about go gay somewhere else ;D Clear bra is like clear window tint to protect these new cheap paint jobs thats it.

litsnsirn said:

I used to assemble CVPI's into actual police cars and when we got fresh cars, the paint was very, very soft(and thin). It was really easy to damage, and even though you were drilling all kind of holes in the body, no one was happy when their paint gets all scratched up.

What does it cost to clear bra an entire car?

For the money of doing an entire car I would just get a paint shop to put some house of kolor clear the price will be very very close to the same and I have this clear coat on my harley it is very very tough and if you do get a scatch it buffs right out these mustangs just have a couple of places that really get beat up not worth the whole car being covered.

The clear bra film is the way to go .I do all the leading edges on all my cars.You do need to replace it every 3 years depending on how you use your car .But it is awesome stuff.I got sponsored by 3m in 1996 in the 24 hour race .Since then I swear by the stuff.Its good enough for race cars ………..

TMO Supporting Vendors