The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Boss or Original Boss??? Decisions, decisions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Guys: As noted on the prevoius thread I am looking to pick up a Boss 302 LS.

I started thinking that for $80K to $90K I could pick up a concours original 302.

Which would you pick if you could have either and why?

Appreciate the thoughts and input.

Thanks. :)

I had a 1970 Grabber Blue Boss 302 when I was 16 back in 1970. Really liked the car. I did not appreciate what I had at the time and abused the car. It was great fun to drive but not many comfort options. No air, manuel choke, no power seats, windows or doors. AM radio. I have a '13 LS Boss. It is more agile & comfortable. The sound of the solid lifters & exhaust note on the original Boss is much better than my LS. I would love to have another '70 Boss, but would likely only take it to car shows. I drive my LS nearly every day.

It really depends what you want to do with the car? If you want a show car, something for cruise nights that is a garage queen..then definitely get the '70. If you want a car you can drive.. take to the track and have fun in without worrying about if you get a small chip in the paint, go for the LS.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Well I would get the new one if it were me. And I would go new over old because its faster and is more practical to drive. If you want a show car then yeah get the 70.

Now if it were really me and I had 90k to spend I would buy a 2013 GT500. And I say this cause 662 factory under rated hp. I am a quarter mile guy and the new GT500 is my "wet dream" but I dont have the coin to buy one.

I'm not a expect on the price of these cars yet,
and I'm not totally sure I got mine, the full real deal LS for drive out $48 because the dealer wanted my 07 Shelby with 19K

but the prices I've seen sure vary?

I think my buddy paid almost $70 for his because of the 2012's coming out after 40 some odd years of not having the Boss on the market?

but just out of curiosity and looking around still I've noticed they are still out there for allot less than he paid,
but have yet to see a deal like I got!

I guess the Ford Gods where in my corner, after being a devoted Ford Fanatic,
buying and constantly trading up to get mine for the price I got it for!

Bay Area
Buy the new Boss and take the extra cash and buy all the add on items your heart desires.

The OG boss is my dream care but every day I start up my new Boss to drive to work or for a nice cruise and I smile ear to ear. Then I do a couple burnouts and smile even more.

Plus its pretty cool when all generations know what the new Boss is.

Or for that $$$$ you can get a great driver '70 and a nice low mile used regular '12 or '13 to go with it.

My '70 is a lot of fun and definately draws lots of attention every time I take it out. It's rough, rattles, and they didn't come with A/C.

My '12 is way faster (keep in mind it's got a Whipple 2.9 though) and much more comfortable on long drives.

The '69-'70 will hold it's value much better but the new Boss would be a much better driver if that's what you're looking for.

Good luck with your search.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I agree with those stating it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a show car, they both work. If you want a daily driver I'd go 2013.

Re: New Boss or Original Boss??? Decisions, decisions7

OK,
I've been sitting back and enjoying this post for a while and I now have to chime in.

now listen up and this comes from someone who has been at this for a long time,

I love old school, 19 Fords in 16 years that I bought, restored in some fashion or another, my pride and joys

my 66 f100 show truck I did the full frame off restoration myself, two time best engine at Arrows and Autos car show over 300 entries,
Best in show, best everything.

my 64 Fairlane 500 thunderbolt project that I drive and many others.

you never get the enjoyment and praise from new rides like you would with a 69 or 70 Boss,

I'd love to have one or the other

but will never say I'm sorry for owning a 07 Shelby GT500 or my new LS!

just wish

I could have both, a 69 or 70 with the new LS and

a F350 supercrew
and a custom two car hauler
so I can do my shows with all!

Bay Area
Re: New Boss or Original Boss??? Decisions, decisions7

LSBoss536 said:
OK,
I've been sitting back and enjoying this post for a while and I now have to chime in.

now listen up and this comes from someone who has been at this for a long time,

I love old school, 19 Fords in 16 years that I bought, restored in some fashion or another, my pride and joys

my 66 f100 show truck I did the full frame off restoration myself, two time best engine at Arrows and Autos car show over 300 entries,
Best in show, best everything.

my 64 Fairlane 500 thunderbolt project that I drive and many others.

you never get the enjoyment and praise from new rides like you would with a 69 or 70 Boss,

I'd love to have one or the other

but will never say I'm sorry for owning a 07 Shelby GT500 or my new LS!

just wish

I could have both, a 69 or 70 with the new LS and

a F350 supercrew
and a custom two car hauler
so I can do my shows with all!

You make a statement like a politician.

So what woudl you do? The OP is seekign advice not a PC answer :D

REAL 1 said:
Guys: As noted on the prevoius thread I am looking to pick up a Boss 302 LS.

I started thinking that for $80K to $90K I could pick up a concours original 302.

Which would you pick if you could have either and why?

Appreciate the thoughts and input.

Thanks. :)

Having owned many muscle cars over 40 years plus and presently owning 3 LS cars the decision for me is simple. The new generation Boss cars are far superior to anything that I drove back in the '60's and '70's.

I found that muscle cars from the '60's were great cars but always leaked some type of fluids, required high octane fuel or octane boost, handled, braked and steered terrible, got bad fuel economy, revved much too high on the highway, had poor seating and lacked many creature comforts.

The bottom line is what do you want out of a car? If you want to attend car shows and car events that are close and do not require a trailer for long distance shows then the old generation Boss might be your car. I only have one muscle car left and that is a '69 1/2 SC/Rambler and it has been in the family for about 20 years now and cannot let it go otherwise I really enjoy these new generation Boss cars much more based on performance, comforts and bang for the buck.

Keep us posted on your decision.

Remember, a Boss is a Boss no matter what you choose?

Good Luck.

Harry

8)

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
A few things to consider: An older Boss is going to require a lot more maintenance. Rockers have to adjusted, carb and points and regular oil changes are essential.

If you are living in an area that gets routine snow, the old plain sheet metal doesn't like salt and corrosion-producing chemicals.

If you get one without power steering, you'll have to be in pretty good shape to move big radials in a parking lot. I'll turn 65 in a few months and it's all I can manage to parallel park.

The engine/road noise and stiff suspension can get tiresome after a few hours.

My 2013 is just an unbelievably awesome ride, for all the reasons you probably already know, but if I want to go out on a nice day, turn heads, generate smiles from ages 8 to 80, and bring home trophies, the '70 wins hands-down:

BossCorral_zpsb90696ff.jpg

I have owned many examples of 60's and 70's muscle cars over the years. Enjoyed pretty much all of them. I must say though, not nearly as much as my Boss. It is always fun to drive, draws a crowd wherever I go with it, always gets looks and waves, thumbs up. It rips the tires off, turns corners, stops and sounds awesome. To top it all off, it has cruise and air for the trip home. I love it.

I will hopefully be adding a new Shelby to park beside it shortly for those occasional drag races that I enjoy.

Would I trade my Boss or a Shelby for an old muscle car? Not a chance.

New! Having owned and enjoyed in the past a '69 Boss 429, '65 Shelby GT350 and a '70 Boss 302, have to agree with the "depends on what you're after" line of thinking. At the end of the day, though, as cool and as fun as those old cars may be, they are, well, old cars. Fast old cars, but old all the same.

After having my '13 B2, let's just say it's cured me of any burning desire to spend big bucks on a 40+ year old muscle car that I'd hardly drive. It'll flat run circles around anything from the '60s and early '70s, and do it with comfort, reliability and drivability those old relics could never dream about. It's truly a "world-class" modern high performance car in every sense of the phrase with all the soul and heritage of the old Bosses. Although I must admit, I do miss that solid lifter noise (but not the frequent valve lash adjustments).

And ask yourself this: If you could go back in time, would you have bought a '70 Boss 302 new if you had the opportunity? Well, that's where we are today with the new Boss 302. You can only be an original owner once, and that window of opportunity is closing quickly on the new Boss. Ford quit making them in January, and there won't be another one until who knows when.

Go for the new one, take advantage the awesome perks of buying a brand new Boss -- the cool owners package, Trackey, Boss Track Attack -- put some of the cost difference into mods and track time, and enjoy the hell out of it every day. You won't regret it.

dabossinne said:
New! Having owned and enjoyed in the past a '69 Boss 429, '65 Shelby GT350 and a '70 Boss 302, have to agree with the "depends on what you're after" line of thinking. At the end of the day, though, as cool and as fun as those old cars may be, they are, well, old cars. Fast old cars, but old all the same.

After having my '13 B2, let's just say it's cured me of any burning desire to spend big bucks on a 40+ year old muscle car that I'd hardly drive. It'll flat run circles around anything from the '60s and early '70s, and do it with comfort, reliability and drivability those old relics could never dream about. It's truly a "world-class" modern high performance car in every sense of the phrase with all the soul and heritage of the old Bosses. Although I must admit, I do miss that solid lifter noise (but not the frequent valve lash adjustments).

And ask yourself this: If you could go back in time, would you have bought a '70 Boss 302 new if you had the opportunity? Well, that's where we are today with the new Boss 302. You can only be an original owner once, and that window of opportunity is closing quickly on the new Boss. Ford quit making them in January, and there won't be another one until who knows when.

Go for the new one, take advantage the awesome perks of buying a brand new Boss -- the cool owners package, Trackey, Boss Track Attack -- put some of the cost difference into mods and track time, and enjoy the hell out of it every day. You won't regret it.

Well said...bravo!

dabossinne said:

Just to add to these great comments, there are a number of us on this forum that were fortunate to experience the good old days of the '60's and early '70's muscle cars and trust me that was a magical time for us that were there at the time.

Having said that, "The good old days are here today" and these new generation limited edition Boss cars that were produced for a 2 year run in 2011 and 2012 are not neing produced anymore so I suggest any automotive enthusiast that wants something special should act quickly in order to own one of these classic cars.

To all of the new Boss owners you may not realize it but you are experiencing and going through exactly what us older fellows went through back some 40 plus years ago. Many of you are the original owners of these limited edition run of Boss cars and that opportunity may not come around for quite some time so enjoy your experience with these great cars just as we did back in the sixties and seventies. This time around the documentation and paperwork for these cars are much better let alone the outstanding performance of the world class automobiles.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience the thrill and excitement of the early Boss cars and again with these new generation Boss cars. These new Boss cars take me back to my early youth and am very greatful for this experience.

Trust me, whoever purchased one of these new 2 year run limited edition Boss cars has purchased something special and as time goes on you will begin to understand and appreciate how great and special these new Boss cars are.

;)

I have nothing to add about the 69-70 BOSS', as I have never driven one, but after bringing my 13 home 2 days ago I can NOT imagine not having this car. I have never driven a car that just gives me that "feeling". I can't really explain it, but when every head turns to look at it when you drive by, at every stoplight, someone opens thier window and asks you how much HP you have or just says "That car is $*^$ing dope man" its say's to me that this was a great descision to buy this car. There are lots of cars out there that are fast and handle good, but they just don't have that BOSS factor. If you don't like LOTS of attention all of the time, get the older one that you won't drive every day, and pick the times you want to stand out.
Then there is the performance............

SeattleBoss said:
A few things to consider: An older Boss is going to require a lot more maintenance. Rockers have to adjusted, carb and points and regular oil changes are essential.

If you are living in an area that gets routine snow, the old plain sheet metal doesn't like salt and corrosion-producing chemicals.

If you get one without power steering, you'll have to be in pretty good shape to move big radials in a parking lot. I'll turn 65 in a few months and it's all I can manage to parallel park.

The engine/road noise and stiff suspension can get tiresome after a few hours.

My 2013 is just an unbelievably awesome ride, for all the reasons you probably already know, but if I want to go out on a nice day, turn heads, generate smiles from ages 8 to 80, and bring home trophies, the '70 wins hands-down:

Wow, Seattle, what a shot. Could we please see more of those two awesome cars together??? Nice advice, btw. I think those that have, or do, own both have a lot to offer here.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel