The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Boss owner with a strange noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Northern VA
Hi everyone just picked up a 13' Boss #3205. So far have been loving the car compared to my old 14' GT. Just threw on a mcloud clutch, flywheel and ford racing short shifter. Only issue Ive been having since I picked the car up is below 2K RPM I get a slight high pitched squeak sound almost like a turbo spool type noise if I am under load (about 40% throttle ). It doesnt make noise if im just slightly on the gas or when Im really burying my foot in it at 2K rpms just at part throttle. It seems to go away past 2500 and up but it most prevalent below 2K.Thinking it may be a vacuum leak I checked over the hoses and clamps on the intake and everything seems to be fine. It does have the side exit restrictor plates off but I am not sure that would be the cause? Any help would be appreciated!

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Northern VA
Thanks its the Mcloud street pro single disk clutch. Im keeping the car at stock power level so I felt it was overkill to go for the RST/RXT. And funny enough the sound was there since I bought the car when it was all stock before I installed the clutch. Sound stayed exactly the same even after the clutch job which has me wondering what it could be.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Check the idler pulley and tensioner on the accessory drive. Place the tip of a 3’ steel pry bar on the bolt in the center of the pulley while the car is running and then put your ear on the other end. If it’s a bearing, you’ll know immediately by the sound transmitted through the pry bar. I recently completed the “supercharger delete” mod on my 2014 GT by replacing the idler pulley - had several people assume I was SC from the whine!!

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Northern VA
Thanks for the help guys. Ill look into both of those. Im fairly certain the car wasn't tracked beforehand as its a one owner car with just 5000 miles but never know. Gonna start diagnosing more tonight.

If it has a nylon pulley on it someplace, like an idler pulley, check that as well. Pop the belt off and see if you can wiggle the pulley on it's bearing. The zipper noise you hear may be the belt riding a bit sideways on the nylon.

TMO Supporting Vendors