The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Boss TODAY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebxb

2012 BOSS 302 0782 no mods yet
Texas
Bought 2012 BOSS 302 Today # 0782

From Corvettes back to Mustang many thoughts Many Questions

this thing handles GOOD! different than Vette but it'll hold a powered thru corner with enough hp on tap to drift it.
mine did come with track key and yes it lopes more at idle and has engine decelerator . the exhaust is to die for. dunno what plates are installed yet.

where do you guys set your front shoks? mine appear to be at "2"

do they make a donut spare? there is a place for it

the last few vettes were more refined but who needs that sh*t this thing is a hoot!!!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For driving on the street set front and rear shocks to 2 or 3 depending on comfort level, for track set to 5 all around.

Donut spare is available, probably from V6 car. There should be a patch/inflator kit in your spare tire well, however.

Congratulations! Use the link below for tips on posting photos.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

mikebxb

Texas
thnx
yes got a an inflator kit
thought about old school donut for trips

gas mpg not as good as Vette. i cite the 3:73 gears 2200 aroung 78 cruise

06 vette was loping 1700 rpm at 80 mph

mikebxb

Texas
Nobody reveres Carroll Shelby & his Lagacy more than I but I'm glad I got the Boss not the Shelby
We test drove a SGT vert 08 only 7K real sweet and i wudda been happy with it til i resold it . but this thing brutish and yet corners like on rails ...very impressive . I got the 5 year 60k extended warranty bumper to bumper

mikebxb

Texas
thanks to you and the others for such help and knowledge..
im going top need tires soon an you direct me to a thread for all around tires

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
mikebxb said:
thanks to you and the others for such help and knowledge..
im going top need tires soon an you direct me to a thread for all around tires
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6987.msg104828#msg104828

Mike, congratulations!
My track experience and talent compared to other BMO members is very limited, however I noticed that if you set the dampers front to 5 and the rear to 1-2 for high speed tracks, the rear tires gets more planted! In a tighter track, setting the rear to 3-5 helps rotating the car better like in an autocross for example. But that is my humble opinion and observation. In the manual, Ford says set the dampers 5/5 for track.
One more thing, try as much as possible to keep her stock, since it is very capable car and try not to be put off by the body roll, pitch and dive...it is ok..she will still pull high Gs and carve the corner impressively.
All around tires ( summer obviously) may likely be Michelin Pilot Super Sports. A little bit more sticky tire may be something like Potenza RE-11 (R 285/ F 265).

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
13Boss#3328 said:
Mike, congratulations!
My track experience and talent compared to other BMO members is very limited, however I noticed that if you set the dampers front to 5 and the rear to 1-2 for high speed tracks, the rear tires gets more planted! In a tighter track, setting the rear to 3-5 helps rotating the car better like in an autocross for example. But that is my humble opinion and observation. In the manual, Ford says set the dampers 5/5 for track.
One more thing, try as much as possible to keep her stock, since it is very capable car and try not to be put off by the body roll, pitch and dive...it is ok..she will still pull high Gs and carve the corner impressively.
All around tires ( summer obviously) may likely be Michelin Pilot Super Sports. A little bit more sticky tire may be something like Potenza RE-11 (R 285/ F 265).

Sorry but I have to disagree the body roll and dive is a limiting factor in the stock suspension. Having put in the Cortex extreme grip setup has totally gotten rid of all that. The car is on rails now!

13Boss#3328 said:
Mike, congratulations!

I would have to disagree also, of course don't mod the car right from the start unless your a Pobst or a Schumacher, do what you want. Also on the shocks I found 5 front and 2 rear driving daily was how I liked it, very stiff but I didn't have to meddle when I wanted to jaunt down a back road.

Tucson302 said:
Sorry but I have to disagree the body roll and dive is a limiting factor in the stock suspension. Having put in the Cortex extreme grip setup has totally gotten rid of all that. The car is on rails now!
Cortex Racing suspension is a great setup, I have read a lot about it, heck the car in the picture of the BMO banner has cortex setup and Dean swear by it now!.
My point was the stock setup is great and the car is fast, the main side effect of the body roll, pitch and dive is destroying the driver's confidence, while in reality, the car still corners very impressively and pulls high Gs. Putting that in mind, whenever confidence is shaken, you just can't trust the car anymore, so consequently this can be a limiting factor...I guess.
At a point of time you can outperform the stock setup as a driver, then you can harvest the fruits of a better setup ( cortex, 302S, Griggs...etc)
That is the way I view it, I might be wrong ::)
For me, I will keep her stock for now other than tires, brakes and other consumable items.

NFSBOSS said:
Not on stock springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dtb-bGxHdZk
Oups :-[
A bit optimistic at getting on the gas or having the outer wheels off the track?
He must have been under pressure having a "slow" Boss follow him...
Hope his Z isn't damaged! It's a beautiful car!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel