The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Brake Pads and Rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SO...unlike many of you, my Boss is my daily driver. I have 27k miles on it now and the front brakes were starting to squeak noticeably. I bought Hawk HPS pads, and, unfortunately, both rotors were warped. I bought the StopTech Power Slot Alloy Rotors: Manufacturer Part #: 126.61089SL/R from anythingauto.com.

I will report back after installation and bedding to let everyone know what I think about the new setup.

cheers.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have always had good luck with the Centric Premium blanks. They are around $100 each new for the fronts and $70 each for the rears. Don't look very impressive but they stay true and can take a beating on-track.

ArizonaGT said:
I have always had good luck with the Centric Premium blanks. They are around $100 each new for the fronts and $70 each for the rears. Don't look very impressive but they stay true and can take a beating on-track.
This. Where are you located? I have a lightly used front set I'd sell for cheap.

NFSBOSS said:
This. Where are you located? I have a lightly used front set I'd sell for cheap.

Like I said...It's my daily driver...without it, I'm forced to ride in my wife's '13 Camaro SS...boo!

I didn't really have a lot of time to shop around or I would have asked here first...Thanks anyway.

zzyzx

Steve
zzyzx said:
Since you bought StopTech rotors, I assume you read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Yes, "warped" rotors are by-and-large a complete myth. It's likely your stock OEM rotors are in perfect condition other than uneven pad deposits, which can be remedied most likely with nothing more than some aggressive braking.

Hmmm...I didn't read that prior to buying new rotors, but reading that article, it sounds like there has never been a warped rotor in the history of the automobile.... I remain skeptical.

I plan on keeping my stock rotors and having them turned...I'll see what happens with it.

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
12BossKB said:
Hmmm...I didn't read that prior to buying new rotors, but reading that article, it sounds like there has never been a warped rotor in the history of the automobile.... I remain skeptical.

I plan on keeping my stock rotors and having them turned...I'll see what happens with it.

They do pour it on thick but it's accurate.

Rotors can warp - but the majority of the issues are more pad related.

You can have up to .003" or so runout on rotors and still have a decent non-pulsing pedal.

In most cases to warp it badly you are going to to see signs of gross overheating. Blue/grooved rotors etc like from a frozen caliper or something.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
12BossKB said:

If you do have them turned make sure to ask them to take their time with them. The faster they run them the more of a chance that turning them will actually lead to them getting warped. This has happened to me on two occasions with my Audi on non OEM rotors.

zzyzx said:
Since you bought StopTech rotors, I assume you read this:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Yes, "warped" rotors are by-and-large a complete myth. It's likely your stock OEM rotors are in perfect condition other than uneven pad deposits, which can be remedied most likely with nothing more than some aggressive braking.
Trust me you can warp rotors. After one weekend at Road America I ended up with a set of DBA 5000 rings that looked like some of my metal hair band vinyl records from the 80s.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Trust me you can warp rotors. After one weekend at Road America I ended up with a set of DBA 5000 rings that looked like some of my metal hair band vinyl records from the 80s.

The truth spoken by a man who knows how to be hard on brakes.... You animal ! LOL ;D

I had the Stop-Tech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS Street Pads installed. I have to say the combination is not as good as the stock setup. (Yes, i followed the break-in procedure for the pads) I know the HPS Street Pads say the stopping power is good hot or cold, but they are better warm. Stock pads and rotors were $750 (parts only) and Stop-Tech rotors and Hawk HPS Pads were ~$550 including installation. Overall, I'm fairly pleased.

TMO Supporting Vendors