The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New car in town and got left in the dust.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was happy with a great lead in the points in our local Time trail series until yesterday. I lost out first place to a M3 with a supercharger and supposedly some 700hp.... Boy did that thing move in the straights and he out braked me at the end with huge 15" brakes. He beat me by 0.6 seconds in the end but he is just starting out so I assume he will get better. My semislicks have about 7 months of racing on them and are about done while he had the same new rubber, so maybe I still have a chance.

On practice runs the day before with both of us on street tires, he was 3 seconds behind! 700hp sounds like to much to have on that engine at the track. Reliability must be a serious problem on a blown track car.

Did not want to go down that road...

Fresh rubber and a brake upgrade should go a long way in keeping pace with that M3.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Are there no "classes" to differentiate cars into similar groups down there, or is it simply a spending war for who brings the car with the most parts thrown at it to the track?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
ArizonaBOSS said:
Are there no "classes" to differentiate cars into similar groups down there, or is it simply a spending war for who brings the car with the most parts thrown at it to the track?

Its a bit wild and woolly down here. The classes are split by the type of tires used and traction. Street, Semi slick and slicks, fwd, rwd, 4wd. I honestly think the BMW will blow up before the end of the season (the last M3 with a supercharger did just that). I did upgrade to Pagid RST-2 pads which were great (but squealed all day at the track). I am hoping a fresh set of Dunlop DZ3G will do the job. But 700Hp is a lot to get ahead of........

I hope they change the rules for next season.....because at the moment it is a bit of a spending war.... Most of my competitors arrive on trailers while my Boss is still street legal with cats and all. Says a lot about the Coyote! nearly 30,000 miles with tons of track days and still going strong. Most of my competition loose out on to many events with piston melt downs on things like MR2"s with giant turbos and NOS. Good old V8's just keep on going.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mad Hatter said:
I honestly think the BMW will blow up before the end of the season (the last M3 with a supercharger did just that).

Exactly!

VoodooBOSS said:
Fresh rubber and a brake upgrade should go a long way in keeping pace with that M3.

+1
And sooner on the tires, before he learns to drive faster!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
VoodooBOSS said:

It Did! The RST-2's and a Fresh set of Dunlop semislicks got me to 1.3 seconds in front of him.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Grant 302 said:
So he didn't blow up yet? ;D

Congrats on taking the lead!
Thanks!....No...but he just sold his M3 before it did! ! A RX7 turbo was ahead of me by 0.2 seconds but it had a melt down and retired. The rx7 is with 420 rwhp and 1100kg so could not pass it on the straights but his wiring melted down right before my eyes. Amazing how the coyote just keeps on going event afer event. The turbo cars can get ahead for one event but then dont show up for the next three while they get rebuilt! Fingers crossed and two events to go for the season.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
@Mad Hatter:

I hadn't realized the scope of your divisional racing program until i read your posts. The fact that your Boss still has OEM Cats and is legally street driven is indeed a testament to the strength of the Boss 302.

Good luck with the rest of your race season and I hope to see you on the podium at the end of the 2016 season.

May your competition continue to melt before your eyes!
302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks! This coming weekend I have a 700km drive for a two day event. Makes me nervous as its a long way back..... Maybe next season a trailer! I have the Kooks xpipe with cats, was going to get a second none catted xpipe but worried I would fail the sound tests.

Its not our latest greatest track down here, but it its my favorite, lots of changes in elevation.

interlomas_600.jpg

Thanks to everyone a TMO for the fantastic source of track info that just does not exist down here!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
There is an old saying and its just as true today:
"In order to finish first, you must first finish."

Reliability goes a long way.
Keeps fresh rubber on the car and keep tweaking the handling.
Every race where you finish and they don't is one more race closer to the championship.
You can do it!

Fabman said:
There is an old saying and its just as true today:
"In order to finish first, you must first finish."

Reliability goes a long way.
Keeps fresh rubber on the car and keep tweaking the handling.
Every race where you finish and they don't is one more race closer to the championship.
You can do it!

Hamilton concurs ;D

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
29500 miles and well over 40 track days...... me thinks I will stay N/A and breathing regular air! So far the engine has been a champ with a few electrical and sensor problems.

Fingers crossed!

As I recall the Roush motors we ran in IMSA had a .020 over bore, rod bolts and valve springs, I assume everything was squared up when they did this, those engines had a 50 hour limit placed on them before a rebuild. That should give you some idea as to longevity, the only thing that jumps out at me is the oil pump drive could use a little love. I'm not sure if Roush does those with the engine or not, depends on the rules I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMFPESBhtB0

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks for the tip. I must be at or over 50 hours on the track..... not to mention about 5 full days a track school. I imagine (hope) the Pro cars get used much harder!

Would you recommend something like

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=311

or

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=269

??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Stay as far away from MMR as you possibly can. @captdistraction may be willing to share his experiences and trials there.

My recommendation would be to stick to the Ford crate short blocks or crate engines if you are interested in doing a refresh. You will save money and aggravation in the long run.

If you need a whole new engine for some reason, it's probably easiest to throw a GEN2 Coyote (2015+) factory engine in there and toss your BOSS intake on top.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Message received!! If I had to do a rebuild, would definitely go with a ford short block or crate engine. Seeing all the dramas you guys have up in the US has left me with no hope of doing a rebuild down here.

Would it be worth changing the oil pump gears just in case? The Ford ones are very reasonable.

If the world does not go down the toilet would like to see what the 5.2 crate engine is like, when and if Ford makes one..

TMO Supporting Vendors