The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Car Safety Demonstration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As my 15 1/2 year old twins look to get their drivers permits in the next couple of weeks car safety has been on my mind. Here's a good example of why I'll be getting them a relatively new car to drive.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
As the father of a 22 yr old daughter who had a car wrecked out from under her. You also may want too invest in training for the kids. Drivers Ed is marginal at best. Basically if Everything goes right kids are marginally trained to handle a car. Example. Do drivers ed classes ever teach skid control? I grew up with snow and not we did not do anything behind the wheel regarding skid control. How hard is it to wet down a parking lot?? Emergency or panic stops?? Little to no training. Obstacle avoidance?

I took my daughter to the track and got her some instruction.

I got the second chance, some parents don't. She was driving her Mustang and was T-Bones and pushed into oncoming traffic and hit again. A few tenths of a second one way or another, I would NOT have had the chance to get her addition training for When things Go Wrong. All vehicles were doing 55MPH + Scary to think about.

I thank God Ford build our cars to take a hit.

Thanks Tracy and I'm with you on that. I'm glad your daughter survived. Cars are so much safer, and better, than when we first got our licenses it's amazing we survived. Both of my kids have been driving karts since they were 8 years old and my son has done a few races. I plan on getting them into a defensive drivers class as soon as they get their licenses. I also think the Forza driving with the wheels and pedal setup we have will help them a bit as well. My father in law has had my son out in his Ford Ranger teaching him how to drive a manual and he has done well. He thinks he's going to drive my GT350 as soon as he gets his license. Dream on!

My daughter went to a program called Drivers Edge when she had her permit and again just after she got her license. She has been driving for 10 years and is the only one of her group of friends to have not had an accident. This is especially significant since she moved to Montana 7 years ago with no snow driving experience, There are many programs like this. One is put on by a drag racer who lost both his teen sons in a accident.

Drivers Edge is in Vegas which makes a nice weekend and is relatively inexpensive. Program is free. Doug Herbert's program BRAKES is in Pomona. I'm sure there are others. We went to Vegas. Normally Vegas isn't my cup of tea but this was well worth it.

The backstory behind BRAKES is enough to make you want to send them a donation and enroll your kids.
25K kids trained no charge.

That video is incredible. My daughter turns 16 next month and two weeks later she's signed up for the Bertil Roos highway driving school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel