The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New clutch, but which one hard decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New season will start in some months and I would be ready for tracking a litle bit and get rid of this high rpm lockout issue we have all stock boss 302 owner.
I'm looking for a close to stock feeling during street driving and have no lockout when tracking.
I have already MGW shitfer and I hesitate between mc loed RST, Spec 2 and Exedy mach 600 clutchs.
Also single disk or dual disk?
My favorite is Exedy, does anyone have this clutch and can comment?
Any suggestion is welcome and really appreciated.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I can't comment on any but the Spec 2+ I have in my Boss and with the MGW Race Spec shifter, it's perfect for my car and my style of driving. If my car was a truly 100% track only car, I would have picked between the McLeod RST or RXT.

Hello Spider - 1st of all, I would bet a Boss 302 in France is a very rare sight!

2nd, as to which clutch well I researched the heck out of it a few years ago and ended up with the RST and lightened steel flywheel and overall it is a vast improvement because it was the only thing that cured my high rpm lockout (I had tried other supposed fixes with no success). It does not feel like the stock clutch at all, though - it definitely has some chatter when you are releasing the clutch to leave from a stop but you can modulate it enough once you get used to it. I was stuck in a traffic jam for about 2 hrs once and it was fine even in that setting. My Boss is a garage toy so it doesn't get driven much but for weekend fun and occasional trips to work, the clutch is fine.

Tymeslayer and other people have reported great things about the Spec Stage 2+ and I have also read many good things about the Exedy Hypersingle. My only piece of advice would be to not 'cheap out' on a clutch/flywheel like I did initially with a Spec Stage 1 and alloy flywheel. It did not cure the lockout at all, although the alloy flywheel helped the engine spin up faster which was fun.

Good luck!

John

drano38

Wayne
Welcome Spider and another worldly Boss.
I installed the Exedy Hypersingle spring 2018 along with the MGW Racespec at the same time. Just a bit more pedal pressure, and engages higher on pedal release. More bite, but still works well in traffic, or in parking lots.
But for some reason, I now have a driveline vibration that starts at about 80 mph and very noticeable 100+. Don't know if its the clutch, a loose bolt somewhere, or different harmonics triggering a vibration on a car component. I don't think its the clutch itself causing the vibration because several others here run it with no problems.
RST is very common for track drivers here. RXT if a track-only car.
Tyme's Spec 2+ looks to work well also.

The guys have pretty well covered it. I had the RXT in my Boss. I haven’t used the Exedy but my thought is the RST for a more street driven car and Exedy for more track focus. I do not recommend the RXT although it worked well for me. It was fine on track but I didn’t like it driving on the street.

Hello Spider - 1st of all, I would bet a Boss 302 in France is a very rare sight!

2nd, as to which clutch well I researched the heck out of it a few years ago and ended up with the RST and lightened steel flywheel and overall it is a vast improvement because it was the only thing that cured my high rpm lockout (I had tried other supposed fixes with no success). It does not feel like the stock clutch at all, though - it definitely has some chatter when you are releasing the clutch to leave from a stop but you can modulate it enough once you get used to it. I was stuck in a traffic jam for about 2 hrs once and it was fine even in that setting. My Boss is a garage toy so it doesn't get driven much but for weekend fun and occasional trips to work, the clutch is fine.

Tymeslayer and other people have reported great things about the Spec Stage 2+ and I have also read many good things about the Exedy Hypersingle. My only piece of advice would be to not 'cheap out' on a clutch/flywheel like I did initially with a Spec Stage 1 and alloy flywheel. It did not cure the lockout at all, although the alloy flywheel helped the engine spin up faster which was fun.

Good luck!

John
Thanks Champale,
Yes we are not a lot of boss owner in France but have at least one boss meeting per year. The next is for July I guess. Last one was in June last year with around 25 boss. And one only boss 1970.
yes I hear as well a lot of good things about spec 2+, only one remark is about the pedal feeling about 20% harder than stock.
I continue my search for answers and comments.

The guys have pretty well covered it. I had the RXT in my Boss. I haven’t used the Exedy but my thought is the RST for a more street driven car and Exedy for more track focus. I do not recommend the RXT although it worked well for me. It was fine on track but I didn’t like it driving on the street.

Hi VoodooBoss,
Thanks, yes RXT seems more build for track use than RST. I think same case for Exedy, some are more track oriented and some are more street and track. I could not have a lot a feedback with Exedy unfortunately.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I find the pedal travel and engagement similar to stock on the SPEC 2+ but I'm not sure 20% firmer is my experience. I'd say closer to 10% but you know, I can barely tell the difference since I had the new clutch on since late 2015.

Exedy Hypersingle here with MGW shifter and AutoBlip. As previously mentioned, it grabs higher up in the travel then I prefer but the lockouts are gone and with a firm, controlled motion the shifts are solid. It was the clutch recommended by Dean Martin at Kohr Motorsports so I was confident it was going to work.

Exedy Hypersingle here with MGW shifter and AutoBlip. As previously mentioned, it grabs higher up in the travel then I prefer but the lockouts are gone and with a firm, controlled motion the shifts are solid. It was the clutch recommended by Dean Martin at Kohr Motorsports so I was confident it was going to work.
I will go with Exedy but not easy to find an alignment between Exedy web site and for instance americanmuscle website. There is only one hyper sigle with dual disc.

I ordered my hyper single from team beefcake racing. Pro tip...call them for pricing.

While ordering, throw in some ARP flywheel bolts, a new ford performance pilot bearing, and a exedy throwout bearing.

Did them in stages, 1st was the cooling scoop, 2nd separate clutch reservoir, 3rd was the MGW Shifter then the Exedy Hyper Single with new throwout bearing. MGW helped a ton but still experienced lock out towards the end of the run while on track. Once the clutch went in I have not had an issue since!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Also really like the Spec 2+...... Went through two race seasons so far with out a problem and lots of wear left. Like the feel and LOVE the price. The combo with a Alloy flywheel was a great upgrade.

The weapon of choice is the Exedy Hyper Single for most applications. we have never had a clutch issue in a mustang that I remember, since 2014 or so. We did have a high zoot throwout bearing go away at VIR, so for the most part PP uses stock bearings now.

New flywheel is required but it is included with the Hyper Single Clutch Part # EH06SD1. Got mine from Kohr Motorsports but have heard team beefcake racing is a good source also. Make sure and get a new throwout bearing also!

Thanks for the info.

Is the flywheel steel or aluminum? Do you have a choice? I'm looking for future clutch upgrade for 2013 Boss.
99% of the time it will be street driven, so looking for little or no chatter/noise. Also not sure if aluminum flywheel would be a wise choice or not.

TMO Supporting Vendors