The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I asked over on TMO Facebook about the difference between a Boss flywheel and a GT flywheel and got, as usual, excellent answers. Now I will ask here about brands. Originally I was thinking of an Exedy Mach 600. Now that it appears I need a flywheel as well, has anyone had any experience with the Mantic single disc clutch? I am staying N/A for the foreseeable future as I am not finished with doing track days any time soon. I don't feel the need for a trick multi disc clutch.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
+1 on the Exedy Hyper Single. The only Mantic single disc I could see still has the steel cover assembly, and is priced pretty close to the Hyper Single, which has an aluminum CA and puck style disc. As @JDee mentioned, it’s a proven race clutch so the higher engagement point in clutch travel takes a bit of getting used to for street use, but doable.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Kohr Motorsports calls the exedy hyper single their "Go to" clutch for road racing...that was good enough for me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
What are the downsides to it on the street? If I put a lightened flywheel in it, I have sense for what that will do with the lower inertia. But how does the Exedy feel for the weekend street cruise? Is it decent enough around town once you get used to how it takes up?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What are the downsides to it on the street? If I put a lightened flywheel in it, I have sense for what that will do with the lower inertia. But how does the Exedy feel for the weekend street cruise? Is it decent enough around town once you get used to how it takes up?
Now I haven't had a chance to run mine yet but the flywheel isn't really all that light.
I had an aluminum flywheel with an RXT double disc and that worked great but I'd bet the weight was about the same as the single with lightened steel flywheel. I had a chance to weigh them both as I was installing the Exedy this last Sunday.
I thought about it and decided "Who's gonna care besides me and whatever the difference is I can't change it anyway so why bother?" I just knew I'd regret that and here we are.

I drive mine with the exedy on the street all the time with no issues the pedal is a touch “stiffer” but really not bad.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I drive mine with the exedy on the street all the time with no issues the pedal is a touch “stiffer” but really not bad.
This is good news. I have really bad knees and worried about this.
My RXT was super light on pedal pressure and I wondered about the pressure on the Exedy.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. 👍

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel