The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Dunlop Offering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I received an email from Tirerack that Dunlop is bringing out an update to their Star Specs, the Dunlp Direzza ZII. The initial test seemed to be pretty positive. Then only negatives I can see so far is the size offerings.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=168

It would be nice if they offered them in Boss sizing.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
That's the biggest disappointment with the best 140 tread wear 'street' tires... none of them are in Pony Car friendly sizes. I know that Vorshlag was at the Hankook arrive and drive event in DFW and Terry specifically asked, begged, etc the Hankook guys to start bringing over sizes that would work on the Pony Cars.

I ran 285x35x18 Hankook RS-3s on the Boss for part of last year. They worked well, but they looked so tiny on the car it was laughable. I nice 305x35 would be perfect! Maybe even a 315 (depending on manufacturer as some of them tend to run LARGE and others SMALL).

JScheier said:
That's the biggest disappointment with the best 140 tread wear 'street' tires... none of them are in Pony Car friendly sizes. I know that Vorshlag was at the Hankook arrive and drive event in DFW and Terry specifically asked, begged, etc the Hankook guys to start bringing over sizes that would work on the Pony Cars.

But to a manufacturer, doesn't that mean stock sizes? Anyway, I'm running Hankooks. Stock size on stock wheels. One step below the RS3, but still took 2nd place in Car and Driver's comparo and dirt cheap. So far, I love them. Haven't been to the track yet, but will report when I do.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/hankook-ventus-v12-evo-page-10

Jimmy

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Jimmy Pribble said:
But to a manufacturer, doesn't that mean stock sizes?

Yes and no. Yes in that one would normally build OEM sized replacement tires. In the case of 140TW tires, the biggest market is SCCA and NASA auto-x and HPDE drivers who seldom run OEM sizes and most likely fit the largest size available via fitment <or> rule. For the STU class in SCCA auto-x allowed a 285 tire. Man, we did everything we could to get a 18x10 with a 285 on an M3 so that we could get the most tire on the ground.

JScheier said:

I ran 285x35x18 Hankook RS-3s on the Boss for part of last year. They worked well, but they looked so tiny on the car it was laughable. I nice 305x35 would be perfect! Maybe even a 315 (depending on manufacturer as some of them tend to run LARGE and others SMALL).

After reading that test on the new BFG Rival and checking what sizes they are offered in, I suspect we will see a lot of them on cars real soon. Their 18 inch size selection is decent and they are suppose to stick like glue and have amazing wear characteristics. I will be trying out a set when my Pirelli's are done.

I will never buy Dunlop tires, don't trust them, never will. I had a blow out on the autobahn once when I was driving, and was a passenger the 2nd time. They were oem tires on golf station wagons, company cars, we were only doing about 90mph. Got lucky both times.

drano38

Wayne
F.D. Sako said:
has anyone ran 275/35/18 square before?

I run square on the track, NT-05 275/40/18 then switched to 285/35/18. Get adjustable front/rear sway bars, and you're set. I've got Sam Strano's bars. I can run tires on all 4 corners (I'll run them backward for wear when I know its gonna be a dry weekend).
Works great for max tire life. KRost runs square also, now using slick scrub tires w/ Enkei 18x9.5 35mm offset. He and Gary, both very experienced drivers, pretty much run neck and neck on the track.

NewBossowner said:
After reading that test on the new BFG Rival and checking what sizes they are offered in, I suspect we will see a lot of them on cars real soon. Their 18 inch size selection is decent and they are suppose to stick like glue and have amazing wear characteristics. I will be trying out a set when my Pirelli's are done.

I've heard first hand from one of guys at the BFG Rival test and in the Dry the Rival is a beast. Just wish BFG would make some 19s available.

TMO Supporting Vendors