The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

new engine for the gt...suggestions on part selection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I have the MMR motor in mine.

I'll admit to having a #5 bearing on their new motor let go at 2k, they did freight the motor at their cost back to their shop and back to me in a couple weeks' time. They take a while on builds, but despite the horror stories, I felt I was treated well.

This is what i bought from them:
awwyeah.jpg
(not listed was a boss 302R crank, CJ trigger wheel and some gaskets) Cost was sub 8k, but you figure another 2k in items needed to complete the job. Only parts I wish I had done were the boss chain tensioners, but I haven't had any trouble. (I did have them install new chains)

I did things like wrap the headers, cat deletes, a big fluidyne radiator, added the boss cooler to the MMR kit, a pillar pod from SOS and some gauges to match, and had Shaun at AED handle the tuning.

I think the Air/Oil cooler deal is simple, make sure the pipes are at least -10AN, use a quality sandwich plate, and mount a decent performing core in the grille area. With the Moroso pan, that makes 12QTs capacity, and the oil stays almost too cool.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I'm sure every experience with MMR varies but mine was mostly positive. I was turned to them when FRPP couldn't answer simple questions over the phone about specs for the aluminator and its warranty (its basically none despite the 2 year claimed).

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
if it were me and I was doing it I would go with an aluminator short block. set of ported livernois heads and a mild stage 2 cam. throw on the cobra jet intake and CAI a set of ARH long tubes and x pipe.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
captdistraction said:
I have the MMR motor in mine.

I'll admit to having a #5 bearing on their new motor let go at 2k, they did freight the motor at their cost back to their shop and back to me in a couple weeks' time. They take a while on builds, but despite the horror stories, I felt I was treated well.

This is what i bought from them:
awwyeah.jpg
(not listed was a boss 302R crank, CJ trigger wheel and some gaskets) Cost was sub 8k, but you figure another 2k in items needed to complete the job. Only parts I wish I had done were the boss chain tensioners, but I haven't had any trouble. (I did have them install new chains)

I did things like wrap the headers, cat deletes, a big fluidyne radiator, added the boss cooler to the MMR kit, a pillar pod from SOS and some gauges to match, and had Shaun at AED handle the tuning.

I think the Air/Oil cooler deal is simple, make sure the pipes are at least -10AN, use a quality sandwich plate, and mount a decent performing core in the grille area. With the Moroso pan, that makes 12QTs capacity, and the oil stays almost too cool.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I'm sure every experience with MMR varies but mine was mostly positive. I was turned to them when FRPP couldn't answer simple questions over the phone about specs for the aluminator and its warranty (its basically none despite the 2 year claimed).

You got all that mmr list for under 8grand?! I had less on my list and its 9700.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
still haven't decided on a longblock, but have nailed down what essentials will go around it.

moroso oil pan
moroso oil separator
high pulse ring
boss oil to water cooler (I will add the oil to air with a filter relocation later)
3 row aluminum radiator (not sure which yet)
mmr head cooling mod
mmr oil squirter blockoffs (if the block doesn't already have them)
mmr billet oil pump gears
boss cams and springs

for the longblock, I have been considering the following:
piecing together a roadrunner (can't buy the crate engine, but can buy every single part!)
a DIY forged short block with boss heads
a forged short block with boss heads
a gt engine with ported heads
the complete mmr bad boy longblock I was quoted on

theres no practical reason I would go with the mmr longblock, but the thought of a stout 500rwhp engine with the capability of adding boost later is just daring me to write a check!

what condition my block is in will be a factor in my decision making process. putting this thing together myself is a bit intimidating. I have put together many engines and have all the measuring equipment to blueprint, but doing it myself always keeps me biting my nails until it starts up for the first time. Its not like I put engines together on a regular basis...maybe every 5 years or so.

NJ
So I'm guessing Ford officially denied your claim. Did you ever figure out how all the oil made it's way into the cylinders?

I understand you have to pay to play but it's a little frustrating to see how quickly they deny claims simply because the car was tracked (but not raced). Also concerned that even mods designed to enhance longevity will likely result in an automatic denial (addl oil cooler, change in oil viscosity, brake ducts, etc.). I understand if the car has a tune or more serious engine mods, but seems like the situation/motors should be examined a little more carefully before they axe the claim.

Anyway, have you ruled out the 11:1 Aluminator option completely? That seems like a good potential platform as well.

pufferfish said:
putting this thing together myself is a bit intimidating. I have put together many engines and have all the measuring equipment to blueprint, but doing it myself always keeps me biting my nails until it starts up for the first time. Its not like I put engines together on a regular basis...maybe every 5 years or so.
I would think putting it together should be fairly easy as long as you have the time and tools. I know ring gap and position can be difficult to determine but I am sure someone could tell you what gap to run and what position the gaps need to be in. Can't think of anything else that could really become daunting.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
There's not too much in the upper assembly, but I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for the bottom end. Lot of tough measurements going on down there.

Even disassembly of the cams wasn't all that fun on the coyote.

Maybe see about a shortblock rebuild once you see your block and then bolt on the rest? Just be sure to use new chains and tensioners, etc while you are in there, along with upgraded pump gears

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Theviking said:
So I'm guessing Ford officially denied your claim. Did you ever figure out how all the oil made it's way into the cylinders?

I understand you have to pay to play but it's a little frustrating to see how quickly they deny claims simply because the car was tracked (but not raced). Also concerned that even mods designed to enhance longevity will likely result in an automatic denial (addl oil cooler, change in oil viscosity, brake ducts, etc.). I understand if the car has a tune or more serious engine mods, but seems like the situation/motors should be examined a little more carefully before they axe the claim.

Anyway, have you ruled out the 11:1 Aluminator option completely? That seems like a good potential platform as well.

it is official, however I still have no documentation of it. i think they knew they weren't going to get an easy denial just based on my modifications (because they had nothing to do with it), so they have now changed their tune and are now saying the oil was consumed from blowby from running the rpm too high and I didn't check the oil level. yes, I didn't check the oil. I had not been to the track since my last oil change and I forgot to check before a last minute decision to instruct on that fateful day. so, its blamed on negligence and "racing".

i ruled out the aluminator because of cost. i can do better on a longblock elsewhere.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
as for the engine, i am really leaning towards piecing together a roadrunner from my block...just built the engine i should have had to begin with.

ford made it really easy to put one together! the pistons and rods are pre-assembled, the crank is already balanced for the pistons and rods. and, i just learned that the block and crank both have a code that translates to which main bearing size should be used for each journal. i am not sure if the rod bearings are set up the same, but that would be killer! the heads are pre-assembled, so i only need to add the cams and its ready to bolt up.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yes, but honestly, not by much. stock is 68xx rpm. a generally didn't go above 7000. power fell off at 6500 with the gt intake, so the only reason to go higher was to extend a gear prior to a turn.

NJ
pufferfish said:
it is official, however I still have no documentation of it. i think they knew they weren't going to get an easy denial just based on my modifications (because they had nothing to do with it), so they have now changed their tune and are now saying the oil was consumed from blowby from running the rpm too high and I didn't check the oil level. yes, I didn't check the oil. I had not been to the track since my last oil change and I forgot to check before a last minute decision to instruct on that fateful day. so, its blamed on negligence and "racing".

i ruled out the aluminator because of cost. i can do better on a longblock elsewhere.

I know arguing with them is useless at this point, but wouldn't the factory programming keep the RPM's within a safe zone unless you just spent all day bouncing off the limiter? And do they have any "black box" capability to see if the motor was being "abused"?

Also, the oil level is going to be low since it was getting sucked into the motor. So how does anybody prove if it was low or not to start with? If it was within the dipstick specs do you really think that would have made difference? And sorry for all the ranting here, but what exactly is "racing" by their definition? It's not a Prius we're talking about here. I'm assuming it was expected to handle some spirited driving.

Anyway, good luck with the Boss build-out. Will be curious to see what it all costs in the end.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Brandon302 said:
Don't know if someone asked but did they check the PCV to see if it failed?
...that would imply they ACTUALLY wanted to find out why it consumed all that oil ::)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I just thought of another item I would like to upgrade while its all apart...the clutch. Any preferences for those who have changed them out?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Jezus! That's a $1600 clutch setup! Talk about a budget killer! Maybe a good single disc and a resurfacing of the steel flywheel is in order?

TMO Supporting Vendors