The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New engine parts from FP - cam solenoids and oil pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
I was wandering around the internet this morning and saw two new items on the FP website:

M-6297-M50A - 5.0L COYOTE HIGH STRENGTH VCT SOLENOIDS
With a stronger mounting provision, these Variable Cam Timing (VCT) solenoids are more robust for racing applications, and offer increased strength over OEM solenoids for the following applications:
Fits:
  • 2011-2017 5.0L Mustang engines
  • 2011-2017 5.0L F-150 engines
  • 2015-2018 5.2L Mustang GT350 engines
M-6600-50 - 5.0L/5.2L COYOTE LOW VOLUME OIL PUMP
This low volume oil pump is designed for race applications. This pump reduces engine oil pressure, to decrease engine load. When used in competitive applications, a difference in oil pressure can promote engine efficiency, and can increase the overall performance of a vehicle.
Includes:
  • Oil pump
  • Attachment hardware
Fits:
  • 2011-2018 5.0L Mustang engines
  • 2011-2018 5.0L F-150 engines
  • 2015-2018 Mustang GT350 5.2L
  • Note-to use with 5.2L engines, use 5.0L pickup tube

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Ford certainly has more information than us, but I have never heard of an issue with VCT solenoid mounting that would require additional strength or rigidity, unless they are referring to the pigtail connection points that were on the 2011-2012 engines, which was resolved by the (interchangeable) MY2013 solenoid update.

Regarding the LOW Volume oil pump--My guess is that this could be targeted at drag racers wanting to squeeze another hp or two out of their engines for 8-9 seconds where they are actually running full-tilt, and getting rebuilt on a regular basis. This is the absolute opposite of what we know for road race applications--where we are at continuous high-RPM ranges for 20+ minutes at a time. You do not want LOWER oil pressure for this.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
The solenoids have traditionally had a weak attachment to their bracket (its some sort of pinch weld or solder point). Sometimes when removing the valvecovers on motors I had run hot, one would snap off of its base.

I saw some pictures of the new ones and appears there's more "beef" to the brackets, but otherwise look like (and are priced like) every other newer style VCT solenoid.

I'd buy a set if I didn't have 4 spares sitting here new in bags.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Original Coyote solenoids were very well constructed but the connector pins were fragile. The updated parts were made with cheap stampings. I haven’t heard of failures but Ford must be seeing them on the race cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to guess...
These were some of the solutions to the issues Ford was having with the 5.2 XS and FP350s Cars

TMO Supporting Vendors