The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Enkei PF01s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cindi is a phenomenal instructor and keeps us posted on your triathlon, as I suspect you will be the only competitor with R compound rubber on your bike and soles of your shoes, ha.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Finally got the PF-01's in and mounted with Nitto NT-555R-II's. Not great pics, weather outside is nasty and I wouldn't want to get the girl wet now would I ? ;D I'll take better ones at Pocono Raceway this Sunday.

IMG_20120503_130501.jpg
IMG_20120503_130439.jpg
IMG_20120503_130431.jpg
IMG_20120503_130422.jpg
IMG_20120503_130347.jpg
IMG_20120503_130332.jpg

Nice. It looks like it's ready to eat some P cars this weekend.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Wayne - you said it. I can tell already the the tail is going to be so happy with that rubber behind me. As for the front end, it's like it's a different car. It's amazing how much the combo of a slightly smaller wheel, a 1.15" lower nose and 22 less lbs at the front corners is doing for this thing.

IS IT SUNDAY YET ?????????

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Happy to report that the 18" PF-01's along with the NT-555R-II tires was a substantial improvement over stock 19" wheels fitted with Pirelli Corsa's. With the PF-01's and a tire with a 35mm sidewall the tip of the airsplitter is a little more than 1" lower than before. Steering response is significantly improved on turn in. Also, the axle reservior that JLT is seeling held up 100% with speeds up to 154 on a NASCAR track (Pocono Raceway). If it didn't leak there it's not going to, the average speed on that track is very high.

PS: The 'Victims' included a GT3, RS4, TTRS, M3, M1, C6 Vette, R8 (V8) and a Lotus Elise. Only car I had to point by was a gutted out DINAN M5. On the flats I could hold him but he had more @#$@! than me on the turns ;D

Good to hear Pete and a great list of cars that got to see your tail lights :D I wish that R8 would have moved up a group with me last weekend. They are pretty cool looking even if they can't quite run with a Mustang ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
To be honest we r8 was not being driven as hard as it could of been, either was the c 6 vette. Still, the Boss can take that car . The V10 would require you havong better driving skills, too much HP and too light.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I like the Enkei's. Do the 18" wheels have any effect on the speedometer or are the sidewalls taller to make up the difference?

Also, what is a good all around street tire? I might want to get some that arent so hot weather dependant for street driving but also perform well.

And another question, are 18" tires more economical because the are a more popular size?

Thanks,
Brian

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Batman,

There is a 4.956% difference in the circumference of the tires if you are running 35 series tires in the rear (same as stock). For example, if you speedo says 160 MPH (as mine did yesterday at Pocono Raceway) you are really going 152.6 MPH.

For a street tire that is also good on the track I really like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. This is my preferred wet tire for the track also. Nitto NT-05 are said to be good also but I've never used them. For an economical tire, Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are a good value and handle pretty well (not as good as the Michelin's).

And yes, the 18" series tires are a lot less expensive than the 19" series overall. From what I am expereincing with this new setup, my Laguna Seca actually handles better with the 18" wheels anyway.

batman48195 said:
I like the Enkei's. Do the 18" wheels have any effect on the speedometer or are the sidewalls taller to make up the difference?

Also, what is a good all around street tire? I might want to get some that arent so hot weather dependant for street driving but also perform well.

And another question, are 18" tires more economical because the are a more popular size?

Overall tire diameter is what affects speedometers as the tires either rotate faster or slower depending on if they are smaller or larger respectfully compared to stock. So if you want the speedometer to be on you need to find a tire that has the same diameter as the stock rear tire.

Not sure. Something that is described as "high performance summer" or "ultra high performance" tire is probably your best bet. I would suggest going to say tirerack and looking up the true dimensions of the tires you are interested in and not just what is said on the sidewall. Some tires actual dimensions are not what he sidewall would indicate.

Yes both wheels and tires in 18in are generally much cheaper than 19in and above sizes.

PeteInCT said:
Happy to report that the 18" PF-01's along with the NT-555R-II tires was a substantial improvement over stock 19" wheels fitted with Pirelli Corsa's. With the PF-01's and a tire with a 35mm sidewall the tip of the airsplitter is a little more than 1" lower than before. Steering response is significantly improved on turn in. Also, the axle reservior that JLT is seeling held up 100% with speeds up to 154 on a NASCAR track (Pocono Raceway). If it didn't leak there it's not going to, the average speed on that track is very high.

PS: The 'Victims' included a GT3, RS4, TTRS, M3, M1, C6 Vette, R8 (V8) and a Lotus Elise. Only car I had to point by was a gutted out DINAN M5. On the flats I could hold him but he had more @#$@! than me on the turns ;D
Thanks for the update and it sounds like you had a fun day.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks for the update and it sounds like you had a fun day.

It's the first time I was on a NASCAR track. All I can say is it is a good day if you're going through the banks at over 110 MPH and you don't meet up with the wall on track out ;D

All was good except for blowing out my rear left rotor. The DTC-60's looked like they had enough meat on them for the 1 day event but pretty much evaporated though the first two runs. Luckily I saw the crack in the rotor when checking tire pressures. I had a set of DBA 4000 rotors for the rears as well as the new RS-55 Pagid pads so I was able to do a rear brake job between runs.

IMG_20120506_150703.jpg

IMG_20120506_103548.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel