The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Ford Performance 5.0L/5.2L GT500 Aluminum Oil Pan and Pump Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Does anyone know if the Gen3 pickup tube is compatible with the GT500 oil pan? If not, which is the pickup tube to get?
I got billet oil pump gears in my stock pump and would like to avoid replacing the whole assembly if possible.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Does anyone know if the Gen3 pickup tube is compatible with the GT500 oil pan? If not, which is the pickup tube to get?
I got billet oil pump gears in my stock pump and would like to avoid replacing the whole assembly if possible.
The GT500 pan gets installed with the oil pump and dedicated oil pickup tube. The design is totally different than the Gen3/GT350 composite pan and integrated pickup. Its all or nothing.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Perfect, all I need to know. Worth upgrading the gears while at it?
I don't think so, the gear is much thicker than standard 5.0/5.2, Ford says its a better material but won't say if it is a real forging or sinter forged, it is designed for the stresses of supercharged use. I left mine stock, I don't like the idea of opening those housings up and installing aftermarket gears without confirming clearances, etc. YMMV. Steve

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I was talking to a engine guy today and he said the GT500 pan is junk. He also said to use a crank scraper from crank-scraper.com
That’s the scrapers I use. Get the trim to fit Teflon ones.

Yeah I wonder what that assessment is based on and for what use case. Did he recommend a different pan and high flow oil pump instead? Crank scrapers can be valuable but can one alone keep a coyote from oil starving in a sustained high G corner? I wouldn’t bet my engine on it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah I wonder what that assessment is based on and for what use case. Did he recommend a different pan and high flow oil pump instead? Crank scrapers can be valuable but can one alone keep a coyote from oil starving in a sustained high G corner? I wouldn’t bet my engine on it.
All the oiling secrets are outlined in my build thread.
Crank scrapers are just one part of it. Do what I did and your motor will survive.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
That’s what I was told. Anyone want to buy a GT500 oil pan lol
I’ve heard of far more horror stories of getting the FP350s pan to fit correctly and to get the oil pickup properly aligned. I can’t think of anyone that’s said anything negative about the GT500 pan other than it being a bit heavy. Did he give you any specific issues?

I’ve heard of far more horror stories of getting the FP350s pan to fit correctly and to get the oil pickup properly aligned. I can’t think of anyone that’s said anything negative about the GT500 pan other than it being a bit heavy. Did he give you any specific issues?

Yeah I can’t recall the member on here who detailed all the fitment and build quality problems on the fp350s pan but it’s here somewhere and corroborated by others that have it as well. I think it was the captain or Fabman.

I'm sure Ford did a dedicated baffled and trap doored 13 quart oil pan for a $25000 engine on a car that can pull 1.6g lateral and 1 g acceleration, and said " ah, make it junk". Same engineers who made the FP350S and Boss 302S pans by the way.

Exactly.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah I can’t recall the member on here who detailed all the fitment and build quality problems on the fp350s pan but it’s here somewhere and corroborated by others that have it as well. I think it was the captain or Fabman.

Exactly.
It was @captdistraction. My pan fit fine, I didn't like the welding on the pickup tube but then...probably no-one is surprised by that, I'm a pretty fussy guy. Regardless, it all went together and works famously.
While some people are out there exploding motors left and right I ran all year on a stock junkyard motor (with oil mods) at 8200 rpm so, something is working for me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
It was my pan that was a real headache. Rails too narrow, all sorts of pickup issues, etc.

I think ultimately we could have overbored some of the holes and made it work, but my builder was very detail oriented and had to make it fit perfect using centering spacers for the rail bolt locations. The pickup tube had to be fixed however, as I think ultimately it would have broken the pump housing with how much stress it was putting in once bolted in place (you could feel it in the bolts as you installed them). My understanding is that some pickups now don't have that problem and that they've been revised since my issues (and honestly, for someone just wanting to run this pan, I'd just go with the regular 11-17 GT pump housing and the pickup for that which bolts on vs the slip-fit GT350/18+ pump housing which I used).

The pan definitely works, I have great oil control.

TMO Supporting Vendors